Did I Tear My Pec?

Hey guys,

Been having this nagging pain in my left pec for about 2 weeks now. Basically I just trained through it and the pain seems to subside after 2 - 3 days and then I train again. It’s never really gone away, and I’ve not done any chest excercise for 4 days now. The pain has subsided quite a fair bit however it still hurts when I stretch my arm or press on that spot. It feels like a really sore muscle, so I’m wondering if it’s a muscle tear or something less serious.

Anyone with similiar experiences ?

How long have you been lifting?

Also, did I read correctly…you trained chest through the injury, then you trained it again 2-3 days later?

If that’s the case, you’re seriously overtraining. Take some time off either way.

[quote]deapee wrote:
How long have you been lifting?

Also, did I read correctly…you trained chest through the injury, then you trained it again 2-3 days later?

If that’s the case, you’re seriously overtraining. Take some time off either way.[/quote]

If he’s doing a total body deal…

Yeah, I’m doing Waterbury’s total body training. So it’s not over training in that sense. So after 1 session, my left pec is pretty sore. The soreness subsides just in time for the next session, and then it comes back the moment I perform my working sets for chest. I’ve been training through it for the past 2 week hoping it will go away.

I’ve decided to continue the program but just don’t train chest.

So, does this sound like a typical pec tear ? Or something a little less sinister?

Thanks.

Did you notice a bloody bruise and or swelling? Thats what mine do when I tear a muscle. There is a lot that can happen in the pect, delt, bicep area, so it is hard to tell with out a hands on diagnosis.

[quote]KelvinL wrote:
Hey guys,

Been having this nagging pain in my left pec for about 2 weeks now. Basically I just trained through it and the pain seems to subside after 2 - 3 days and then I train again. It’s never really gone away, and I’ve not done any chest excercise for 4 days now. The pain has subsided quite a fair bit however it still hurts when I stretch my arm or press on that spot. It feels like a really sore muscle, so I’m wondering if it’s a muscle tear or something less serious.

Anyone with similiar experiences ?[/quote]

It sounds like a strain, not a tear. Lay off of it for a few weeks. You must be new to lifting. Minor pains like that are meant to be avoided, but they are a part of lifting if you do this long enough.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
Did you notice a bloody bruise and or swelling? Thats what mine do when I tear a muscle. There is a lot that can happen in the pect, delt, bicep area, so it is hard to tell with out a hands on diagnosis.
[/quote]

No, none of those, what’s why I thought it’s be ok to train through it. It hurts when I press on that spot tho. Yeah I guess I’ll lay off until the pain goes away, thanks for the advice guys.

I strained my left glute a while back through a combination of deadlifting and playing hockey (I think it wouldn’t have been so bad had I not played hockey on it). anyways, I thought that a few weeks off and I’d be back to good in no time, so I did some really light weight squatting work and whatnot to try and re-hab it back into good form.

Welll… nothing helped. I finally went and saw an ART guy and after workin on me, he said to just NOT do anything to it. I didn’t listen because I’m 22 and superhuman (right?). As it turns out, I became a walking-shitstorm of mild injury.

I proceeded to mess up my hip as my body sought balance because of my messed up walking cadence. I then hurt my RIGHT knee a short while later landing weird while jumping (at this point, I started questioning my superhuman powers). well, I got to the point where my knee really hurt, my glute felt like shit, and my hip was sore.

I decided it was time to say “fuckit” and stop training my legs and take it easy on them until everything was better. After about two months, I realized “hey, my hip hasn’t hurt in a while, and my glute hasn’t sent any pain up and down my leg.” That’s when it hit me that my knee hadn’t hurt and I could squat all the way down to a baseball catcher’s stance without any discomfort again.

moral of the story is that if you think you fucked something up, go see a sports therapist or a doctor, and LISTEN to what they say. I’d also suggest using your down time from lifting to STRETCHING all the muscles out to maybe help prevent some further injury down the line.

Be smart and STRETCH!