Did I Overtrain Today?

Today i was getting an inkling in my mind that i overtrained. Tell me what you all think.

Chest/Tri/Back/Abs

Chest: (decided to workout on all DB’s)
DB Flat: 3sets of 8-10
DB incline: 3 sets of 8-10
DB decline: 3 sets of 8-10
DB flys: 3 sets of 8-10

tri:
Machine tricep thing: 3 sets of 8
cable pull downs: 3 sets of 8

Back:
Chins: 3 sets of 5 (15 total)
long pull: 3 sets of 8
Cable pull down: 3 sets of 8

Abs: (light day)
3 sets of weights decline sit ups and some regualr

Workout took a total of about an hour i took little recovery…

I think you personally could answer that question since you know yourself and your limits the best. However, if you give more information (such as years training, experience training, goals, etc) then we could some better insight.

To answer your question as best as I possibly can with the given informaiton, I think you overtrained your pressing muscles and undertrained your pulling muscles.

But again, more info and we’ll be happy to help.

-ton

[quote]TestosterTon wrote:
I think you personally could answer that question since you know yourself and your limits the best. However, if you give more information (such as years training, experience training, goals, etc) then we could some better insight.

To answer your question as best as I possibly can with the given informaiton, I think you overtrained your pressing muscles and undertrained your pulling muscles.

I’ve been training for a little over a year… I am a runner for my highscool and my goals are i mean not much obvioulsy since im runner but try and build lean muscle mass and incorporate a lot of strength with that while i am in my base training phase of track… I am 17 years old and weight 120 5"9 anything else?

-ton[/quote]

[quote]TestosterTon wrote:

-ton[/quote]

Yeah I agree,It looks like you worked alot more on your chest than your back. I think the general agreement is that you should try to hit your antagonist muscle groups with generally the same amount of volume,intensity ect,unless ofcourse your going a specialized program.

Just a note here, overtraining is a chronic condition, overreaching is a short-term condition/goal, and as far as one workout goes, overtraining probably is self limiting due to the fact that you eventually fail to perform.

Also, probably get more horizontal back work in there.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Just a note here, overtraining is a chronic condition, overreaching is a short-term condition/goal, and as far as one workout goes, overtraining probably is self limiting due to the fact that you eventually fail to perform.
[/quote]

Very true. You don’t “overtrain” in only one training session. Not to mention the fact that the term is “overused”. Finding how hard you need to push can very often include finding where your limits are. Pushing the envelope is what those who pass up “average” take part in regularly. Unless you are fatigued or your training is mismatched with your food intake and rest, worrying about overtraining could also have the effect of holding you back.

In other words, unless your aproach to training is completely clueless, I would worry more about how I ate that day.

I can usually tell if I overtrained by how I feel the rest of that day, or the next day.

I’ve gotten some symptoms like being tired but can’t go to sleep at night, physically drained and lose just about all motivation to do anything…

If I’m scheduled to lift again, and feel this way the day after a difficult workout (usually only happens after increasing weight or volume of my workout due to hitting a new PR), I’ll just move my scheduled workout to the next day and do some light cardio like a brisk walk uphill on a treadmil. Then I go back to my routine as planned.

I usually feel a lot better after doing this, and my lifts the following week have shown that I did get enough rest.

NO!!! No overtraining in one session or one single day. Hell all you did was work hard thats good for anyone. Now keep that up for days and weeks and sure you very possibly could overtrain.

I do agree wit the above in that it “overtrained” has been over analyzed and over used now. It has went from something GOOD to being an excuse to not work hard.

You’re 5’9" and 120lbs? You need to worry more about eating to make up for all that training.

As for the workout, it seems a bit overboard to me. What’s the point of doing 4 exercises for your chest in addition to triceps and back work in one workout. Just doesn’t seem efficient to me. And you probably aren’t working very hard either.

As a runner you would probably benefit from training legs a good bit. It’s not so much a matter of putting on a bunch of heavy muscle as where you put it.

Reduce the upper body work. Shift emphasis to training what you use. Your upper body will benefit passsively from the overall anabolic value of training the legs.

I sentence you to 8000 calories each day for the next year.

A life time of squats, deadlifts barbell rows, dips, and bench press.

And never return to 120 lbs.

[quote]Alphaboy wrote:
I sentence you to 8000 calories each day for the next year.

A life time of squats, deadlifts barbell rows, dips, and bench press.

And never return to 120 lbs.

[/quote]

And stop doing 3 sets of 8-10.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Very true. You don’t “overtrain” in only one training session. Not to mention the fact that the term is “overused”.
[/quote]

Crap - ProfX beat me to it. It is impossible to overtrain on one given day. It is a condition that is WAY over-hyped.

That’s like saying you got fat today, or I am ketogenic today. Those things happen over time - just like overtraining.