Did I Get Screwed Over

gona try and make this as short and concise as possible.

at work today, usual day at a sub shop, working with other people slightly younger than me (i’m 21) and we always joke around about stuff. i was making food for people, washing dishes, etc. 6:30pm comes around, i go into the lobby and eat my food, peopel come in and so the other guys make the subs and i go up to the cahs register to check people out. managers are gone for the day, so this 19-20 year old guy gets the manager position, starts bossing us around and all, but we still do stuff.

asks me to go out and clean the tables, so i go out to my car real fsat for about 15 seconds to get a cd for usto listen to in the back, come back in, clean the tables, then go in the back to wash dishes. come out cuz he asks me to wrap subs, then he goes “you want to disrespect my authority? you’re fired! go clock out, no , you’re through, leave, NOW!” tons of people in there now, quiet and staring at me like i did something awful.

i’m like what in the world are you talking about. he goes nuts again making a scene, so me not wanting to make a scene just get up and leave. talk to the manager later that night, and she tells me she believes them because they said i wasn’t doing stuff and went out ot my car and sat down in the back. i told her i sat down in the back for 10 seconds as a joke to him telling me to stay back there and wait to wash dishes, i went out ot my car once to get a cd, whereas another worker went out 3 times for a smoke break, and yes i did eat but i was waiting and checking out customers too between eating.

she said i disrespected him and since he’s the manager i have to do what he says, and i said what about my respect and him making a fool out of me in front of all the customers, and she had nothing to say to that. then she started laughing about it and said she wasn’t going to complain about it, and i told her i don’t see what she’s laughing about since she obviously can’t take any jokes, and then she started laughing more and said “i am finished talking about this!” and hung up on me

i think this was the most immature situation i’ve ever been in before, seeing as how i did nothing wrong and was working as usual the whole time. not to mention this manager guy who is younger than me that went nuts at me is some 5’10" 110 lb anorexic nervous wreck smoker psycho kid, and i felt like effign decking his lights out, but decided i’d be bigger and not make a scene in front of the customers.

parents told me not to worry about it at all and just go join a club on campus with my major to look good on my resume once i graduate and that this money is completely insignificant to my real job later on in life. i’m not concerned about it, more or less just pissed off that it’s like i’m in some fantasy land where i’m the only one who sees it.

So…

Would you like a tampon for your “man-gina”?

no clue what you’re trying to get at exactly…

i’m not mad, just think it’s ridiculous and like i’m the only one who sees how ridiculous it all is.

Yes, go fuck their shit up. Bricks through the windows kick ass.

You let some kid younger than you raise his voice to you AND make a fool out of you?

It’s not like it was a suite & tie job and your career depended on it, I would have made sure he learned to respect people, or at least me.

It would be easy to get pissed off about something like that but, taking TC’s advice, ask yourself “Who gives a shit?”

Do you really give a rat’s hairy ass about your (obviously temporary) little job making subs with a bunch of 19 year olds? The fact is you can let shit like this bother you, or you can choose not to. I say fuck 'em - no point wasting your hate (hey - I got a Metallica reference too!)

Let’s see who’s laughing when you quit and this manager woman is still stuck in her boring a shit job bossing around a handful of minimum wage workers.

Perspective dude, perspective.

You should have eaten him.

First off, I’m a big sucker for work, so I will do more than is required of me and the chances of me getting fired for something like that are next to impossible. However, if some bullshit like that went down, you could’ve at least gone down like a champ and thrown a soda at him or hosed him down with some mayonnaise.

I mean you were fired anyways…and it was a shit little job…I’m sure your gravestone won’t read “here lies ____, subway sandwich artist.” At least I hope it won’t.

This is probably one (or several) of the most valuable business lessons you will ever get and you got it at 21 and allmost for free.

Wait till this assholes are in their forties and have some experience and have learned to use a small part of their brain.

The good news is that this makes a lot of talk about management styles, leadership etc negligible.

Know your stuff and don`t be an asshole and you will be in the to 20% of the bestest managers anywhere. If it gets hard sometimes remember that pencil-dick.

Oh, and if he has a girl-friend, I thinkyou know what to do.

yeah you got screwed over, but be glad you’re out of there.

restore some balance though, too many times we let the 110 pound loser push us around because “we’re the bigger man”. which we are… but i dont like how cocky they’re getting these days, no-one has a punch in the head burned into their memory keeping them inline these days.

Do you think that you should have been made manager instead of this 19-20 year old kid?

Yes, you got slapped around by a 110 lb kid. But then again, haven’t we all experienced that at some point. Although it would be sweet to pick the kid up and do a couple millitary presses with him before giving him a swirly, you can’t do that in this day and age (sadly enough).

The greatest revenge is actually going to college and getting a better job, or in the interm perioid, find a better-paying temporary place of work.

I have had this situation. A bunch of my managers at different places thought they could bitch me out. I grinned and beared it because I had to. I am saving for college and thusly, I need to keep getting paid. Now I make 10 bucks an hour at a relatively easy job.

I find that funny that I make almost as much an hour as these morons do with their little salaries and yet I have to work far less hours and put up with far less shit.

Meanwhile, they’re working 60 hours a week in a job they probably dislike at best where they will be stuck for pretty much the rest of their working life.

Sounds to me like you got screwed over. Been there done that, but I was 17. It’s infuriating as all get out and embarrassing when you know THEY are in the wrong, but it’s better to just be done with it now. Less stress in your life. You know?

Your parents have good advice - take it.

Haha, this reminds me of when I got fired from my job at papa johns 4 years ago. I made the assistant manager cry (talking shit the whole shift- she was a total BITCH), so she goes and tells the manager the following day and gets me fired :).

Those pathetic losers are gonna be making pizzas their whole life; if you are a student and just working to make money from some shit job while in school, dont worry about it. At your age though, I would seriously consider getting some sort of internship in a field that you may wish to pursue in the future.

I got a job working in a lab and I cant stress how much better I feel working with people that actually have an education (all phD’s and MD/phD’s), than a bunch of high school dropouts. As a side note i’ve worked in papa johns, rubios, electronics boutique, and front desk at a comfort inn, and I am 20.

Honestly,
when you work at, well, loser jobs with teenagers and young adults, this kind of bullshit happens.

Time to go back to college and get a real job dude.

“ya fiya’d” - donald trump

I got fired from a fast food job when I told the manager I couldn’t work the hours he wanted me to because I had class.

I told him in writing 2 weeks before as well as about 5 times face to face.
He called me up and told me I was late for work when I was on my way out to class. I told him I wasn’t coming because I had class. He fired me over the phone and I laughed at him.

Those jobs are a dime a dozen.

Don’t let it stress you out.

[quote]orion wrote:
This is probably one (or several) of the most valuable business lessons you will ever get and you got it at 21 and allmost for free.

Wait till this assholes are in their forties and have some experience and have learned to use a small part of their brain.

The good news is that this makes a lot of talk about management styles, leadership etc negligible.

Know your stuff and don`t be an asshole and you will be in the to 20% of the bestest managers anywhere. If it gets hard sometimes remember that pencil-dick.

Oh, and if he has a girl-friend, I thinkyou know what to do. [/quote]

This is good advice. One thing I’ve had to learn quickly is “managing people” who are sometimes older than me. My assistant now is older than me and has kids yet I still have to tell her what to do and correct her sometimes. Past experiences help you to not only do your job better, but to get people under you to WANT to work together to help YOU. That is obviously what your young boss had yet to learn and hopefully one lesson you received early on for later.

My very first real job was working at a local Six Flags amusement park (Astroworld…that doesn’t even exist now). I had to walk around in hoe shorts with a broom and dust pan and pick up trash. That’s right…no phone numbers when you are dressed like that with a broom. I quit the day it started raining and my plastic trash bag busted open dumping funnel cakes and old cigarette butts all over my Nikes. I don’t miss it one day.

But I sure can sweep well.

I agree that you did get hosed…but you can’t let that get to you. Take your parent’s advice and just move on…It would have been hard not to have slashed some tires though…

seeing as how it is the food service industry you may want to go back and umm…shit in the skillet