T Nation

Did I Expect too Much for My First Cycle?

I’m on week 8 of my very first cycle of test enth and have 4 weeks left at 500mg/week. While I have gotten bigger and stronger I feel like I could have gotten this naturally very easily. Im kinda disappointed with it and am contemplating just sticking to natural bodybuilding after this…

Week1
455 1RM dead
245 1RM bench
365 1RM squat

5’10" 188lbs 15% BF

NOW
455x9 dead
275x4 bench
405x3 squat

5’10" 202lbs 16% BF

Could I possibly have more gains to be had? Everyone I talk to says you pretty much plateau at this point. While Im happy with the strength I really feel like my size gains were minimal.

Dude, that’s like a years worth of strength gains for the average guy and you didn’t even gain any fat.

455x9 = 585 estimated 1RM +135lbs
275x4 = 300 estimated 1RM +55lbs

That’s better than 90% of people can do with steroids. Wtf were you expecting?

Why are you worried what everyone is saying? You made some great strength gains, so make some more! Eat more food and train heavier. You control your own destiny. LOL

[quote]Kakarat wrote:
Dude, that’s like a years worth of strength gains for the average guy and you didn’t even gain any fat.

455x9 = 585 estimated 1RM +135lbs
275x4 = 300 estimated 1RM +55lbs

That’s better than 90% of people can do with steroids. Wtf were you expecting?[/quote]

Size.

Ive added barely a half inch to my arms and look a tiny bit fuller thats about it.

[quote]bodybreak wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:
Dude, that’s like a years worth of strength gains for the average guy and you didn’t even gain any fat.

455x9 = 585 estimated 1RM +135lbs
275x4 = 300 estimated 1RM +55lbs

That’s better than 90% of people can do with steroids. Wtf were you expecting?[/quote]

Size.

Ive added barely a half inch to my arms and look a tiny bit fuller thats about it. [/quote]
So train in the 12-15 rep range and do more arms for the next 4 weeks…

I have been since day one.

Im happy with my strength for sure I just really thought I would get more size. I had hopes to compete but it looks like my genetics might have a different idea. (Yes I know no one competes after their first cyc I just mean I clearly don’t have the greatest anabolic response)

What does your arm training look like?

[quote]Kakarat wrote:
What does your arm training look like?[/quote]

Ive slowly upped it so Ill just drop my current split

Mon-Chest/Tris(Heavy)
Tues-Back/Bis(Heavy)
Wends-Shoulders/Squats
Thurs-Chest/Tris(12-15 rep range)
Fri-Back/Bis(12-15 rep range)
Sat-Legs
Sun-off

I never liked that type of split. This is my advice.

Mon-Chest/Back(Heavy)
Tues-Tris/Bis(Heavy)
Wends-Shoulders/Squats
Thurs-Chest/Back(12-15 rep range)
Fri-Tris/Bis(12-15 rep range)
Sat-Legs
Sun-off

Granted arms is the only problem you’re experiencing with this split.

I get stronger faster than I get bigger too, but I’ve got a mate who gets loads bigger on cycle but hardly gets any stronger.

Just the way it is. It still sounds to me like you’ve had pretty good results. Do you really think you could’ve made gains like that in 8 weeks naturally???

[quote]bodybreak wrote:

[quote]Kakarat wrote:
What does your arm training look like?[/quote]

Ive slowly upped it so Ill just drop my current split

Mon-Chest/Tris(Heavy)
Tues-Back/Bis(Heavy)
Wends-Shoulders/Squats
Thurs-Chest/Tris(12-15 rep range)
Fri-Back/Bis(12-15 rep range)
Sat-Legs
Sun-off[/quote]

I ran something very simular to this for a long time, but in the end found out I was over training. swithing to something that allows rest was the key to getting more size for me.
mon shoulder/traps/deadlift
tue back/bi
wed chest/tri
thurs legs
fri off
sat repeat