Did High School Sports Help You?

[quote]Nards wrote:
I never participated in sports in school at all and it wasn’t till I was 19 that I started lifting weights.

I would have to say that I started too easy…I mean I went months and months after my first day in the university gym doing cable crossovers and curls and other silly shit like that.

How many guys here that had to do weight training in high school are here today and how do you think it has effected your training today and how you look today?

I think I would have had a great head start if I’d done more stuff in high school other than watch The Next generation and read Mack Bolan books![/quote]

Interesting Topic.

I guess I would be an example of the other end of the spectrum. I played competitive baseball from the age of 10 - 18. At school we had what was called the “High Performance” gym class. I guess it was like the “advance” class of gym - just as you would have with math or the sciences. It was pretty cool cause it was full of athletes; and only the best, like the top 30 guys from a school of 1500. All we did was train, no sport of any kind. On a typical day we would do a quick run, do a plyometric routine( they were really trying to improve our hops) and then hit the weight room. Once a month we even tested our vert with the proper device so things were pretty competitive but always in a good way. We would also have pull up contests, 225 “hold” contest etc. Fun stuff.

Anyways, I think all that definitely gave me a good start.

Here is me at 21 -

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/pictures_pics_photo_body_rate_image_performance/511_185lbs

One thing to think about - young kids with growing bodies being pushed to hard. I have a few issues now that I don’t think would exist, or at least not to the same extent, had I not been doing depth jumps and shuttle runs etc 3x week when I was only 14. Not saying that young kids can’t train(and I speak more of the plyos than the weights) but just that the programing has to be done properly and diligence taken in watching for signs of overtraining.