Did Coldplay Copy Joe Satriani?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
You hear so much about so and so ripping off someone else, and I always like to draw the difference bewteen influence, and blatant rip offs.

Influence? Wel, I started learning VH songs when I was in high school, and over the years, if I was ever to just noodle around with my own stuff, I would undoubtedly use some of the more common chords that Eddie seems to favor.

HOWEVERE,… this is exact, and although so many people have been influenced by Satch over the years, I don’t think you could argue mere influence, or even coincidence.

S
[/quote]

I absolutely agree with you.

Using bits of other people’s work is the fundamental basis of music. It’s not just something musicians like to do, but how music functions. The only thing that sets this apart from any other piece of music is that it’s long enough for people to notice the similarity, and Satriani’s enough of a prick to whine about it.

They both borrowed from Billy Joel “Honesty”

(main chorus motif)

[quote]boyscout wrote:
Princess Cut Engagement Rings - A Guide to Princess Cut Engagement Rings interesting commentary from a music professor.

It’s entirely possible that coldplay wrote the song with out saying, “Oh shit, let’s rip off satch.” It’s also entirely possible that they wrote the song with full knowledge of the Satch song.

As the article mentioned, the resemblance is pretty clear. Really, there’s only 12 notes. Shit happens that’s similar all the time. It’s not as if rock/pop music employs some advanced harmonic language. Hell, it’d be an interesting project to see how many keys the entire history of rock/pop music falls into. I bet only a few.

Should satch get money for this? Probably. If they ripped him off. Should it matter? No. Great composers have been ripping each other forever.

“Good musicians borrow, great musicians steal.”[/quote]

Good post.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Still, I’m rooting for Satriani here… He is pretty cool live and at least has skill (though he limits himself way too much imo… He should join a more tech-oriented band for a while and just let someone else do the writing so that he can get a few new ideas for song-structure, polyrhythms, the other instruments etc)… One big difference between him and coldplay.

[/quote]

I think Satch should get paid if Coldplay did it on purpose.

If I were Coldplay and defending it, I would simply find a similar lick from an older art song and make the point that Satch ripped it off from somewhere. Or that they were using that. It’s probably a folk song or something. Or cold play could hire a bunch of “experts” to analyze the chord progression and melody and find it else where in earlier pop or art music.

Satch will probably win, though, which is okay. It’s just amusing the timing of this suit. They just got nominated for a grammy, and suddenly satch is thrown into the forefront by latching onto their name. Millions of people who didn’t know who Joe Satriani was two weeks ago, now know is name. Pretty good marketing I’d say.

Here’s an interesting thing I just found:
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/06/16/new-york-band-claims-coldplay-stole-viva-la-vida-melody/

Everyone is stealing from everyone!

I think that perhaps all these famous musicians should just be happy they make obscene amounts of money playing their instruments.

Chris Martin is a window licker. He punches photographers for taking his picture at the beach and whinges and whines about having to do promo work. Fuck off! Stop releasing albums then emo boy.

[quote]slimthugger wrote:
The songs sound similar but it may be coincidence…

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jI-M_yr36FvwE1Mv7SDJiLqaJ0GA

[/quote]

Also listen to Creaky Boards

If you asked me they ripped 2 people off in one song.

[quote]boyscout wrote:

Satch will probably win, though, which is okay. It’s just amusing the timing of this suit. They just got nominated for a grammy, and suddenly satch is thrown into the forefront by latching onto their name. Millions of people who didn’t know who Joe Satriani was two weeks ago, now know is name. Pretty good marketing I’d say.
.[/quote]

The timing of it is certainly apt. There is no way that Satch just heard the song now, a few months ago it was a very heavily saturated single.

Actually, I recall hearing Satch mouth off months ago, I guess the lawsuit is only hitting the news now. Satch has never really been a publicity seeker in my mind, in fact, I’ve been listening to him since his ‘Surfing with the Alien’ fist came out, and most people I know still don’t know who he is.

S

Actually, I recall hearing Satch mouth off months ago, I guess the lawsuit is only hitting the news now. Satch has never really been a publicity seeker in my mind, in fact, I’ve been listening to him since his ‘Surfing with the Alien’ fist came out, and most people I know still don’t know who he is.

S
[/quote]

From what I understand Satch had tried to open dialog with Coldplay as soon as the single hit the airwaves for several months, but they refused to return any of his or his representatives correspondence and it finally came to this.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

From what I understand Satch had tried to open dialog with Coldplay as soon as the single hit the airwaves for several months, but they refused to return any of his or his representatives correspondence and it finally came to this.[/quote]

Yeah, it seems that was the case.

So ignore my dickish, uninformed comment from before. Sorry, guys.

S
[/quote]

That’s funny, because that’s the first cassette that I bought of his, also.

I think “Summer Song” was the single that made me pick it up.

[quote]stockzy wrote:
Chris Martin is a window licker. He punches photographers for taking his picture at the beach and whinges and whines about having to do promo work. Fuck off! Stop releasing albums then emo boy. [/quote]

Dead right!

Anyway, we’re all losing focus here people.

I hate Coldplay: everytime I hear them it makes me reconsider my stance on hate-crimes.

Lets focus - how are we going to take Chris Martin out/stop Coldplay releasing anymore music?

As an aside, does anyone think he became more annoying right after getting togeather with that whiney bitch Paltrow, or when he named his child Apple.

What a fucking tool.

You’ll need that Parachute Chris when I push you out of a plane … …

[quote]Ground-N-Pound wrote:
slimthugger wrote:
The songs sound similar but it may be coincidence…

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jI-M_yr36FvwE1Mv7SDJiLqaJ0GA

Also listen to Creaky Boards

If you asked me they ripped 2 people off in one song.[/quote]

Good find…