T Nation

Did Coldplay Copy Joe Satriani?

The songs sound similar but it may be coincidence…

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jI-M_yr36FvwE1Mv7SDJiLqaJ0GA

I know only a small amount about music theory so my argument might be wrong. With that said, I don’t think having the same chord progression is copying, but the melody is very similar in the two songs. I don’t think you can get away with copying a melody.

Wow - never thought about it, but yea - exact. Same main melody and progression. Satch is embellishing the melody, but it’s the same.

I don’t care for Coldplay, though I’m a big Satch fan - he’s been a huge influence on my playing.

Wow! It’s pretty telling when they play the two tracks on top of each other. I’m a big Satch fan as well, and don’t care much for Coldplay, so it’s easy for me to say they ripped him off.

It’s pretty common to hear similar chords and chord progressions, but that is more than similar.

I’m sure Coldplay calls it an “homage.”

Meh. Coldplay sucks, even when theyre ripping off satch, haha.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Wow! It’s pretty telling when they play the two tracks on top of each other. I’m a big Satch fan as well, and don’t care much for Coldplay, so it’s easy for me to say they ripped him off.[/quote]

Haha, me too.

I only liked their first album. I’ve heard stories about Chris Martin acting like such a diva, too. Makes me sick.

I saw them at Shoreline a few years ago and then another time at HP Pavilion. Both shows were good. Too bad.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
It’s pretty common to hear similar chords and chord progressions, but that is more than similar.

I’m sure Coldplay calls it an “homage.”[/quote]

Coldplay probably doesn’t even know who Joe Satriani is.

Theft here for sure…I’m sure they will settle out of court.

You know how I know you’re gay?

You like Coldplay.

stach’s version sounds dope

Wasn’t Coldplay already accused of this by some unsigned or lesser known band for the same song? I didn’t really care then, but this time it’s Satch!

I’m sure I don’t have that album though or I would’ve been telling everyone about this. Stupid played out Coldplay song…

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
You know how I know you’re gay?

You like Coldplay.[/quote]

x2

It’s a common melody/chord progression.

I didn’t listen to it because I don’t want either song ruined for me-- I love them both. That’s one of my all-time fav. Satch songs ever.

That being said, when I first heard Coldplay’s newest single, I did NOT recall to mind Satch’s tune even in the slightest. I just liked it.

http://musicology.typepad.com/dialm/2008/12/expert-witnessing.html interesting commentary from a music professor.

It’s entirely possible that coldplay wrote the song with out saying, “Oh shit, let’s rip off satch.” It’s also entirely possible that they wrote the song with full knowledge of the Satch song.

As the article mentioned, the resemblance is pretty clear. Really, there’s only 12 notes. Shit happens that’s similar all the time. It’s not as if rock/pop music employs some advanced harmonic language. Hell, it’d be an interesting project to see how many keys the entire history of rock/pop music falls into. I bet only a few.

Should satch get money for this? Probably. If they ripped him off. Should it matter? No. Great composers have been ripping each other forever.

“Good musicians borrow, great musicians steal.”

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Wow - never thought about it, but yea - exact. Same main melody and progression. Satch is embellishing the melody, but it’s the same.

I don’t care for Coldplay, though I’m a big Satch fan - he’s been a huge influence on my playing. [/quote]

x2, though the drumming and bass-play on his non-live albums is abysmal.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
http://musicology.typepad.com/dialm/2008/12/expert-witnessing.html interesting commentary from a music professor.

It’s entirely possible that coldplay wrote the song with out saying, “Oh shit, let’s rip off satch.” It’s also entirely possible that they wrote the song with full knowledge of the Satch song.

As the article mentioned, the resemblance is pretty clear. Really, there’s only 12 notes. Shit happens that’s similar all the time. It’s not as if rock/pop music employs some advanced harmonic language. Hell, it’d be an interesting project to see how many keys the entire history of rock/pop music falls into. I bet only a few.

Should satch get money for this? Probably. If they ripped him off. Should it matter? No. Great composers have been ripping each other forever.

“Good musicians borrow, great musicians steal.”[/quote]

He def. has a point about standard rock/pop stuff… (and pretty much every non-technical genre).

Still, I’m rooting for Satriani here… He is pretty cool live and at least has skill (though he limits himself way too much imo… He should join a more tech-oriented band for a while and just let someone else do the writing so that he can get a few new ideas for song-structure, polyrhythms, the other instruments etc)… One big difference between him and coldplay.

[quote]boyscout wrote:

“Good musicians borrow, great musicians steal.”[/quote]

That would make Madonna a great musician.

You hear so much about so and so ripping off someone else, and I always like to draw the difference bewteen influence, and blatant rip offs.

Influence? Wel, I started learning VH songs when I was in high school, and over the years, if I was ever to just noodle around with my own stuff, I would undoubtedly use some of the more common chords that Eddie seems to favor.

HOWEVERE,… this is exact, and although so many people have been influenced by Satch over the years, I don’t think you could argue mere influence, or even coincidence.

S