T Nation

Diagnostic Fitness Tests

Diagnostic fitness tests are very helpful in the sense that they provide direction. They tell you what to train, and you select the appropriate methods. I got the idea for this after reading Kelly Baggett's vertical jump bible and speed development manual.

Can anyone contribute, and DESCRIBE (not just list) the diagnostic tests that you know?

I'll start this off:

Power balance between hip extensors and quadriceps. Perform a standing long jump. Note the distance. Perform a triple jump on just one leg. Note the distance. If the distance of the triple jump is 2.5 to 3 times the distance of the standing long jump, you're in optimal balance. If the distance of the triple jump is less than 2.5, you need to increase the power of your hip extensors.

That's a diagnostic test.

Here are a couple others I can think of (I'm not going to describe these):

Strength deficit test.
Efficiency of SSC (countermovement jump test)

Can anyone contribute any other tests? It can be for anything: bodybuilding, cyclic endurance sports, acyclic endurance sports, power sports, strength sports, fat loss, etc.

Just to make sure I'm filtering out response that I don't want, I should differentiate between diagnostic tests and progress measurement tests. A diagnostic test tells you what you should train. A progress measurement test tells you how far you've come. For example, You may test a person's resting heart rate, and it is 70. This doesn't tell you anything about how they should train. But if you measure it at regular intervals, it will give you feedback on whether your training is working.

There is certainly some overlap between the two, and they are both useful, but in this particular thread I am asking about diagnostic tests. Which ones do you know?