Diagnosed with Low T. Raise Naturally Before TRT?

Hello all,

New here found this forum on some research on Low Testosterone

So here is the situation, I am 46 years old, 6 feet , 74 kilos. I have always gone to the gym and done sports but never really saw much in the way of muscle gains, I did a bit but not much.

Over the last few years I been struggling with disc degeneration disease on 3 levels of my spine. To make a long story short I been checking my health each year and Testosterone was one of my tests. I always had a lower level but still in the range of ok like around 350 to 400

Last october I got my spine surgery and things are great, I am back in the gym, swimming, walking daily etc but recent tests show my Testosterone really low at 280. I also have low bone density, low energy as well, dont have any issues with getting it up though it seems.

Doctor checked my thyroid and pituitary glands to see if they could find any reasoning on the low T. Nothing really suggested I had any issues there so the doctor thinks I have some sort of homornal imbalance and wants to start me on TRT with injections

I have not been living the best life style over the last few years so I decided to wait 2 months to see if I could raise my levels naturally. Such as good sleep schedule, making sure I get D3, zinc, magnesium, etc , going back to the gym (though I cant lift huge weight due to my surgery), less stress etc.

Doctors says it probably wont be enough but there is no harm in trying if you wish for a couple of months.

Is it possible? I see all these articles regarding how to raise your T but can one really be at like 280 and get to a more normal level for a 46 year old? Should I just start the treatment now?

Curious on your thoughts I am quite new to this, thanks!

If you were always under 400 as you aged it is getting lower and lower thus you are less than 300 now. And you will have negative consequences to your health in many areas .

Get base labs. You will most likely need trt at your age. Supps I believe will not help much at all

Total t
Free t
Estradiol
Shbg
LH
Fsh
TSH
Free t3
Free t4
Thyroid antibodies
Ferritin
Dhea s
Prolactin
Dht
Lipid panel
CBC
Metabolic panel
A1c

These are disease state levels and is indicating something is wrong and you are beyond the point of no return, there is no fixing this naturally and any attempt will fail. Men can increase testosterone a little bit by staying healthy, but there’s no way in hell you’ll ever see yourself in the optimal ranges on the other end of the ranges.

If you were naturally in the high normal ranges and are now on the lower end, well then your levels are low. We have no idea what normal is for you, only the entire population as a whole.

Testosterone Threshold for Increased Cardiovascular Risk in Middle-Aged and Elderly Men:

These data showed that a testosterone threshold of 440 ng/dL was associated with increased Framingham 10-year CVD risk in middle-aged and elderly men. Poor sexual performance, decreased morning erection, and loss of libido had an impact on the testosterone threshold for CVD risk. The threshold level was higher in men with sexual dysfunction.

As of right now you are at high risk for cardiovascular disease, do not wait too long.

this is the complete list of things I should check out beforehand? I will look into them before my next test on T

This is very reasonable. On this forum, you’ll likely find that the vast majority of guys will say that after experiencing the benefits of TRT, in hindsight, they wish they would have started it sooner. As with any decision, it never a bad idea to go into it with the assurance that all other options have been exhausted.

Still, I’ll weigh in like the others. Get your testosterone into the higher levels, triple it, you’ll feel a lot better and be healthier.

Chronic pain can have a significant impact on your overall health. Regardless of how you feel, the low bone density is of concern. What is your T-score? Have you had any blood tests? You might look into getting N-telopeptide checked. Osteoporosis, 46 y/o, 6 feet, 163 pounds, that’s not good. Inactivity can be part of it, but your hormones (E2 included), if not the direct cause, are not helping matters. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback
Your right when I found out I had not so great bones I have stepped it up. I was swimming as my main exercises when i had spine issues but that does not do much for your bones. I now walk almost very day, fast pace, hills, steps, trying to strengthen that, Vitamin D, Calcium , eating better etc. I have not had my scores checked again since August of 2017 so I am do to check them out, I was border line osteoporosis at the time with about -1.4 to -2.0 depending on the area.

I had a complete blood count test during my last health check up just couple weeks ago, nothing unusual all was fine there, your right though Part me just wants to start the treatment right away but another part of me wants to take the time for these next two months and see what I can do, I have also heard testosterone can drop quite a lot after a major surgery and I did have a pretty intense surgery, 5 hours long replacing 3 discs in my spine.

I been eating better lately, sleeping on time, 8 hours every night making sure I get it in, supllements I am starting (few waiting in the mail) Intermittent fasting 16-8 I have also started just a few days ago, not for the weight loss but for the health benefits. I have found my energy lately has really increased just after a few days. Just want to see where it takes me, if on August 1 (when I get tested again) is all crappy then yes TRT will probably be the way to go

Highpull makes a great point about men rushing into TRT, compliance on your TRT protocol will be unshakable if you at least give yourself a chance to recovery naturally, otherwise I see you stopping TRT months/years down the road to do a restart.

Might as well get it out of the way and try to get your natural production to increase. You’ll need good quality sleep, eat healthy and exercise.

thanks guys, glad I found this forum been very useful so far, lots of reading, lots of things I have no idea what they are talking about but I am a newbie here

People that are on TRT are they also on a lot of other medicines, I am reading a lot and the responses are things like this is to low as well, this is to low you should take this and this etc

I was under the assumption I just be taking the TRT injections but looks like I will be managing and taking other things for other symptons or is that just for the rare few?