T Nation

Diagnose My Injury!

I am a noob. I have been lifting hard for 2 weeks. Doing Waterbury’s TBT program.

Monday, I set a new PR for the deadlift and the squat. Yesterday I was sore in the groin area and would stutter step every once in a while as it would make me wince as I walked. Today it was still tender. I did light squats and deadlifts as per the plan. It now hurts like it did yesterday.

The pain is centered around the tendon(?) that runs up the inner thigh to the front of my groin. Is this a groin pull?

[quote]blindetheft wrote:
I am a noob. I have been lifting hard for 2 weeks. Doing Waterbury’s TBT program.

Monday, I set a new PR for the deadlift and the squat. Yesterday I was sore in the groin area and would stutter step every once in a while as it would make me wince as I walked. Today it was still tender. I did light squats and deadlifts as per the plan. It now hurts like it did yesterday.

The pain is centered around the tendon(?) that runs up the inner thigh to the front of my groin. Is this a groin pull? [/quote]

Yes. Rest it. Ice it. Compress it. See a trainer (or Physical therapist) if you must.

If the pain continues for a long time (couple weeks) see a doc.

Groin pulls suck, big time. Good luck.

Yep, sounds like an adductor strain/pull. Don’t go for PR’s your first month! Not sure of the best recovery protocol.

Thanks guys. It doesn’t feel like it’s too bad, just tender. Will rest up.

Feeling tender for a few days after big lifts is normal, it can take your body some time to recover… If however you are almost unable to move at all due to pain, or have tenderness/pain for a longer duration of time, see a doctor or a physical therapist.

I don’t think it’s a groin pull. It’s probably the adductors.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
I don’t think it’s a groin pull. It’s probably the adductors.[/quote]

I hope that was a joke.

Remember the acronym: RICE

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Personally I dont find all of that necessary though. Taking it easy usually fixes things for me. I might add that I have some tendon pain in my shoulder and tricep. I used Icy Hot for the first time and it pretty much fixed me. I was amazed. It still hurts a little, but it it much better.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
Remember the acronym: RICE

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Personally I dont find all of that necessary though. Taking it easy usually fixes things for me. I might add that I have some tendon pain in my shoulder and tricep. I used Icy Hot for the first time and it pretty much fixed me. I was amazed. It still hurts a little, but it it much better.
[/quote]

Pete, good advice for the first part (RICE).

I know I have posted this elsewhere, but here goes again. Topical analgesics (Icy Hot, Flexall 454, Bengay, etc) work on the premise of creating superficial heating or cooling of the skin and mild irritation to the local nerve endings.

It is like bumping your shin on a coffee table and then rubbing the area. Rubbing the area doesn’t make the shin better, it stimulates thousands of nerve endings in the area, so that there is an overload of signals going to the brain.

The deep heating/cooling effects you get from hot packs/ice packs can go several inches down into the muscles and joints, whereas the heating/cooling benefit of the topical rubs only penetrates a couple layers of skin.

Just an FYI. It doesn’t mean that they don’t have their place. In fact they are useful for dulling pain, just not by the mechanism that most people believe.