Diablo III

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
Wow I had no idea SC could look THAT shitty. Haha.[/quote]

Yeah, for a second I thought it was a screen cap from a Metroid game.

I would be more interested to see Warcraft 3 alpha in comparison to Warcraft 3 release.

The SC alpha and release look drastically different, but it is a sprite based game. Change the sprites/colors and you have a completely different looking game.

With a more involved 3d engine, I think it would not be as likely that you’d see such drastic evolution, there are more variables, more constants and just generally more aspects to the overall design…etc. seems like it would be less likely to exhibit as significant of a change between versions.

But I don’t really know, and certainly a lot of Diablo III’s current look would be greatly altered by changes in the texturing.

wc3 alpha preview…

Also, any Warcraft III TFT gamers here? We could have a T-Nation Throwdown

Upon doing some reading, it turns out that Warcraft III was supposed to be an RPS… Not an RTS. A lot changed between beta and release…

That is what I expected. Different, but the underlying engine is still very clearly the same between alpha and release, and much of the final versions difference came from more detail being added.

But, I did just realise that Blizzard is also working on Starcraft 2 which is another 2d to 3d transition, It could be possible that the two games, SC2 and Diablo III are sharing a similar engine.

Ooh, nifty.

Yeah, I guess the fact that it’s a 3d engine now lends itself to less overall changes come release. . . Even so, Blizzard already has my money with this game.

Any doubts I’ve had about World of Warcraft or Warcraft 3 were destroyed when I started playing those games. Blizzard has never let me down up to this point, so I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt here. :slight_smile:

Hope it doesn’t go Starcraft ghost. that would piss me off so bad. I wanted to play that game bad. looked badass.

Cant wait for this game to come out, but it wont be coming out till probably 2010

So excited for this game. I’ve been waiting forever as well. I still remember back in high school playing d2 with all my best friends til the last hours of the morning. Good times

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
I am dissapointed, to be honest. Diablo 2 was a fucking legend, and there has been so much hype about D3 that it NEEDS to be fatastic.

But, the graphics look like shit. It almost seems like its using the World of Warcraft engine. It’s too blocky and cartoonish. Diablo 1 and 2 were known for looking gritty and realistic. From the videos and screenshots it just looks like a kids game.

Don’t agree with me? Look at this:
http://www.battle.net/images/battle/diablo2exp/images/maps/act5/arreatsummit.jpg

And now, lets compare with this:
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/screenshots/ss28-hires.jpg

Now which one to you looks more detailed and realistic?

This is an excellent edit of how I think the game should look like:
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/1681/1214657022122wu5oq6.jpg

The creepy feeling is something we are (or at least should be) striving for here. now, nobody expects every location to be bland and grey, as yes, even in d2 there were ‘nicer’ environments. However those Diablo 3 dungeons do NOT look creepy, those dungeons do NOT look dark, they do NOT look uninviting, and they sure as hell do not depict the true diablo feeling, or at least what it should be at this point. Where is the never ending darkness? the fear of shadows?

The problem lies with the stupid colors in many of those pictures. the green, purple, and blue glows that seem to be emanating from nothing at all. Plus, many objects are just too bright.

But hey, maybe I’m just being fussy. It’s way too early to tell what the game will be like, and knowing Blizzard I’m sure its gonna kick ass.[/quote]

I agree. Graphics look like total shit. Too damn cartoony. Where is the dark/Gothic gritty graphics of d2?

OMFG. I was pro as hell at d2. I remember beating d1 norm-hell with one of my buddies when we were younger. I’m betting the other character classes will be:

Archer/javalin based character(amazon or rogue)
sorceress/druid combination
paladin(although maybe not because the barbarian has charge)

I’ll miss the fast paced pvp of dII though, destroying pubs with my blizzer or pnb nec was fantastic. I’ll miss those two classes. and cs amazons. I hope they make the magezon/frostmaiden/fire archer(or d3 equivalent) viable for play again(frost maiden still is. I miss FA/EA.

I’m gonna go play d2.

more random thoughts:

I want no P2P, but I think a 10-15$ per month for battle.net2 where SC2/wc4/D3 could be played without paying for each individual game.

I need the d2 classes, none of this witchdoctor/pallybarb combination crap. I need sorceresses, paladins, necromancers, druids, and amazons to have a full blown crack-esque addiction to this game

T-Nation clan?

better dueling. FFA pub matches ala d2, but random team matches like in wc3 are needed also.

wait so there’s really only 2 classes? They’re going to only add the other classes in expansions I imagine.

edit: nm

How many character classes are included in Diablo III? What are they?

Five character classes will be included in the game, two of which, the barbarian and witch doctor, were revealed when the game was announced at the 2008 Blizzard Entertainment Worldwide Invitational. The other classes will be announced at a later date.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
more random thoughts:

I want no P2P, but I think a 10-15$ per month for battle.net2 where SC2/wc4/D3 could be played without paying for each individual game.
[/quote]
That’s actually not a bad idea. . . I don’t think this will be P2P, though.

I need the d2 classes, none of this witchdoctor/pallybarb combination crap. I need sorceresses, paladins, necromancers, druids, and amazons to have a full blown crack-esque addiction to this game
[/quote]
They better have assassins. That was the least developed of the classes from D2, but I loved my Trapsn. . .

T-Nation clan?
[/quote]
US-East D3 clan. . . IT SHALL HAPPEN!!!

better dueling. FFA pub matches ala d2, but random team matches like in wc3 are needed also.[/quote]

Yeah, I think they’ll do something like that this time around. One thing’s for sure- they needed more structured PVP in D2. D2’s PVP= Cluster Fuck

On a side note, I’m hoping for the return of Hardcore mode.

I remember getting a Martial Arts assassin to level 68 and dying to some asshole in the Arcane Sanctum of Act II.

I will never forget that day. I cried IRL :*(

[quote]Flow wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
more random thoughts:

That’s actually not a bad idea. . . I don’t think this will be P2P, though.

zephead4747 wrote:

They better have assassins. That was the least developed of the classes from D2, but I loved my Trapsn. . .

zephead4747 wrote:
T-Nation clan?

US-East D3 clan. . . IT SHALL HAPPEN!!!

zephead4747 wrote:
better dueling. FFA pub matches ala d2, but random team matches like in wc3 are needed also.

Yeah, I think they’ll do something like that this time around. One thing’s for sure- they needed more structured PVP in D2. D2’s PVP= Cluster Fuck

On a side note, I’m hoping for the return of Hardcore mode.

I remember getting a Martial Arts assassin to level 68 and dying to some asshole in the Arcane Sanctum of Act II.

I will never forget that day. I cried IRL :*([/quote]

trap assasins where cool in pvm, They were way too overpowered in pvp. In pubs, if you stacked/sorbed them you were crippled when fighting other classes, IMO more overpowered then hammerdins.

I wonder what places like the barons bazaar, and the amazon basin will be structured in this game. I played HC with the amazon basin.

more random thoughts:

.[/quote]

Battle.net has always been free. Why would they start charging now? More importantly, why would you start paying now?

Or have they announced already that they intend to start charging for battle.net now? in which case, fuck that.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
more random thoughts:

Battle.net has always been free. Why would they start charging now? More importantly, why would you start paying now?

Or have they announced already that they intend to start charging for battle.net now? in which case, fuck that.[/quote]

I blieve it’s being run on a different battle.net. ie battle.net2 iirc. You do understand you get what you pay for? Did you play d2 seriously? PVP was ruined because of bullshit like farcast mod, and auto aim. Anyone old enough to carry a job, and have the free time to play a game, should be able to afford the 10-15 dollars a month tops it takes to keep the game clean, and keep the servers running. I’m not going to play a laggy ass game that isn’t just laggy, but takes 30-45 minutes for me to start a game because they can’t afford any new/better servers. P2P ftw.

I believe that battle.net, especially for older games like Diablo II, has gone into disrepair, and is perhaps not nearly as effective as it once was. But that does not mean an updated version necessitates a monthly fee.

Blizzard already receives monthly revenues tallying in the tens of millions for their WoW subscriptions, but in the time that WoW has been available, servers have only become more and more generous in terms of cost, speed and size.

Their profit margins for WoW have very likely increased over the years, as operating costs have diminished, and, as best I know, WoW servers are not unbearably laggy(I don’t play the game though).

They intend to re-vamp Battle.net for the release of SC 2 and Diablo 3, and unless they intend on adding some significant game-related features(to the tune of downloadable content), there is no sensible reason to charge a monthly fee for it, and the fact that you seem to not only accept it as a possibility but encourage it suggests to me that you have become too comfortable giving money away to companies that ask for it, just because they ask.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
I believe that battle.net, especially for older games like Diablo II, has gone into disrepair, and is perhaps not nearly as effective as it once was. But that does not mean an updated version necessitates a monthly fee.

Blizzard already receives monthly revenues tallying in the tens of millions for their WoW subscriptions, but in the time that WoW has been available, servers have only become more and more generous in terms of cost, speed and size.

Their profit margins for WoW have very likely increased over the years, as operating costs have diminished, and, as best I know, WoW servers are not unbearably laggy(I don’t play the game though).

They intend to re-vamp Battle.net for the release of SC 2 and Diablo 3, and unless they intend on adding some significant game-related features(to the tune of downloadable content), there is no sensible reason to charge a monthly fee for it, and the fact that you seem to not only accept it as a possibility but encourage it suggests to me that you have become too comfortable giving money away to companies that ask for it, just because they ask.[/quote]

You expect WOW money to pay for d3 needs. That would make battle.net games over time run at a deficit. I want blizzard reps payed to be in the chat rooms helping people, I want higher end anti cheating methods. The old, we’ll just ban mousepads, jsp, and it’s variations every patch only works for like 2-3 weeks until some script kiddy writes a new one. Diablo 2 was a game that got me to learn basic bot scripting. I know for a fact it’s easy as hell to make bots and mods ala farcast, and auto aim, and difficult to detect them. A p2p server gives incentive, becasue I can vote with my money, and am given more weight as a customer when it comes to recieving assistance from blizzard because they know, I may very well stop paying. Not to mention a p2p server gives them a reason to give free updates, free new places to go, free new character classes. It also gives them more money to develop other games. Games I want out so I can play asap.