T Nation

Diabetic on Low Carb Diet?

I’m a type one diabetic. I take lantus and novolog. Ive been experimenting with a low carb, high fat, high protein diet. Problem is, whenever i work out my blood sugar drops immediately making me think that the glycogen stores are empty. Are there any other type 1 diabetics with low carb diet experiences?

[quote]heavylifter36 wrote:
I’m a type one diabetic. I take lantus and novolog. Ive been experimenting with a low carb, high fat, high protein diet. Problem is, whenever i work out my blood sugar drops immediately making me think that the glycogen stores are empty.

Are there any other type 1 diabetics with low carb diet experiences?[/quote]

Hey man i’m also a type 1, im on the pump tho. Right now i’m testing out a low carb diet but it is much easier for me being on the pump… Make sure you cut back on the insulin before the workout to prevent going low, i like to spike it after workouts with my protein shake.

PM if you have any questions that i can answer

alright, i will PM u. thanks

How low carb are you trying to go? Your gylcogen store are going to be drasticly decreased in comparison to a healthy person. There is no getting around that.

I am also type 1 on both Novolog and Lantus. I can’t go terribly low carb but I am able to adjust my Lantus on days when I work out so I can avoid falling so low. I do have to take in about 10-20 carbs before working out depending on what my blood sugar is reading.

I am also getting ready to get an insulin pump, I am hoping it will help me avoid the lows I have been having.

when u say that my glycogen stores are going to be decreased as compared to a healthy person, are u saying that they are low because im a diabetic or because im going low carbs? if u know any of the science behind this, I’d be interested in hearing it. Its always good to know one more thing about how the body works.

[quote]heavylifter36 wrote:
when u say that my glycogen stores are going to be decreased as compared to a healthy person, are u saying that they are low because im a diabetic or because im going low carbs? if u know any of the science behind this, I’d be interested in hearing it.

Its always good to know one more thing about how the body works.[/quote]

It’s low because we are diabetic. Glycogen, mostly made in the liver, can become glucose when our body need quick energy. As you know if one is to keep tight control of their blood sugar there is no way the body can hold on to this stored glycogen.

The insulin we inject covers the carbs we eat but once we start expelling any energy, using those muscles, we tap into our glycogen store. Our body can’t store some up, like in a non-diabetic, it is just trying to keep up with the demands we put it, thus using everythign up.

You can adjust and/or split your lantus so you may not to have to eat as many carbs but more then likely you will have to ingest enough to take insulin with at least 4-5 times day, at least I do. My carbs per meal range from 30 at breakfast (oatmeal) to 17 (fruit) with dinner. I have not been able to manage to get below 100 a day though.

So this just means that as diabetics we are prone to having lower energy levels?

Sorry for all the questions, but i’ve got one more. Since we administer our own insulin, what effect does this have on gaining/losing lean muscle mass and adipose tissue?

I’ve been splitting my lantus but like you said, it’s very hard to eat below 100 grams of carbs. Thanks for the input. It’s much appreciated.

If we eat carbs and protien properly I don’t think we are prone to lower energy at all. The decrease glycogen stores simply mean that we may need to eat some carbs before we hit the gym, check blood sugar during or after, and eat accordingly. Just try to have the most nutrient, low fat, and unprocessed carbs you can find.

For me I use Dole or Del Monte fruit cups. It’s 17 carbs w/o alot of extra ingredients. These are staple carbs in my diet. I also use oatmeal, sweet potato, and carots.

I even use 2 rice cakes for lunch just because they are 8 carbs each. Rememebr to eat protien with your carbs though. It takes protien longer to digest them just straight carbs, it should strech out the amount of time your before your blood sugar drops.

I use PB, cottage cheese, string cheese, regular block cheese (I really like cheese), chicken, and red meat daily as protien sources., not to mention low carb protien shake.

I will say it is harder to lose fat while taking insulin the way we do but it is very possible. I managed to lose 45 lbs by simply keeping tight control of my blood sugar and therefore avoid having to eat extra due to low blood sugar. Also fish oil is helpfulin fat loss.

I really don’t know if taking insulin has contributed to my muscle gains or if it is just genetics. I have definently never had a problem losing muscle though.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Yeah, its does. thanks