DHEA

I keep reading great and wonderful things about dhea.Any thoughts on how effective this supplement is and the best dose?

I tried it for several months many years ago and noticed no changes during its use nor after I stopped.

It all sounds good but no results.

Its just not proven enough to work, at least from what I read. Heres the thing - If it worked, the boys here at Biotest would have it in some sort of product. Even so, if you try it I would be curious to know what your results were…

People our rights to use supplements are at risk. With the recent loss of prohormones and ephedrine. They just passed a bill on may 26th that could ban dhea. Many of you dont even use dhea, but if we let them ban this the next will be creatine, then No2, then fat burners. It will be a huge domino effect. They want us to have to get all this stuff over the counter. We can not let this happen. Everyone must fight to stop this ban. Don’t think that any supplement is safe excpet proten. Please if you want to speak out against this ban go to http://www.saveoursupplements.org/ thank you

First:

I agree 100%…our supplements ARE at risk…and I’ve written our Congress people more than once.

DHEA is “tricky”…you don’t just “take it and wait for something to happen…”

If you are over 40 you ARE deficient!

Replacement is dependent on blood levels and needs to be monitored. It converts to Testosterone and then aromatizes to Estrogen.

Blood levels of DHEA need to be repeated after 6 weeks or more of replacement and 3-4 hours after the last dose.

The most important action of DHEA for our purposes is its ability to elevate IGF-1 that declines with age. By increasing levels of IGF-1, we increase lean body mass and decrease fat deposition.

DHEA-S also appears to be an overall hormonal “modulator”.

Hope this helps!

Mufasa

[quote]Velvet Revolver wrote:
Its just not proven enough to work, at least from what I read. Heres the thing - If it worked, the boys here at Biotest would have it in some sort of product. Even so, if you try it I would be curious to know what your results were…[/quote]

Does Biotest have a creatine product?

No…

Mufasa

You may want to have your DHEA levels checked before you begin supplementing with it.

DHEA levels decline in almost a straight line fashion from your twenties until you die. Thus, if your levels are less than what is normal for a 20-25 year old (2800-4000 ng/ml) then consider supplementing. If not, it probably won’t do you any good.

I tried DHEA a few years back (I’m 36 now) even though my DHEA levels were in the normal range above and I felt terrible after taking it (depression-like symptoms). Anyone else experience this?

do some research on some other sites. you’ll find that many folks are using DHEA as part of their PCT. that said, if you aren’t middle aged or older or coming off cycle, i wouldn’t spend money on it.

Bottom Line?

DHEA has some benefit for some (especially if over 40)…

It needs to be monitored…

Mufasa

I’m 32 and, after my doctor discovered that my natural testosterone levels were low, he prescribed DHEA. However, I’ve been reading that the supplement can cause estrogenic side effects.

What, specifically, can I use to counter the estrogenic side effects of DHEA?

[quote]Muscularo wrote:
I’m 32 and, after my doctor discovered that my natural testosterone levels were low, he prescribed DHEA. However, I’ve been reading that the supplement can cause estrogenic side effects.

What, specifically, can I use to counter the estrogenic side effects of DHEA?[/quote]

What can you start taking?? Start taking your business to a diifferent doctor.

How LOW are we talking. Id say Alpha Male is worth a go for sure.

[quote]Muscularo wrote:

What, specifically, can I use to counter the estrogenic side effects of DHEA?[/quote]

Your doctor is a moron. If you suffer from low test, DHEA isnt gonna help much.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
Now, that aside, DHEA (more specifically, certain analogues) may actually have many more potential benefits, even in those that are younger, but that’s beyond the scope of this post. [/quote]

What could Cy be talking about? I’m a 19 year old male and DHEA has been reccommended to me for mood enhancement reasons…

Would 7-Keto work as well or better, and without the sides?

[quote]I tried DHEA a few years back (I’m 36 now) even though my DHEA levels were in the normal range above and I felt terrible after taking it (depression-like symptoms). Anyone else experience this?
[/quote]

WOW, that sounds just like me, although i’m yonger (28). Ive been taking a v. low dose of DHEA (20mg) and i’m on my 2nd week, but the last couple of days i’ve been feeling really down, i’d never have associated it with the DHEA (cos i thought it was supposed to enhance mood) untill i read this thread, now i’m quite curiouse, is it coincidance? is it just us two?