DHEA on TRT. Levels Have Declined

Good. Now I don’t have to make any assumptions. Now I repeat my first question…

When did you take DHEA supplementation? Morning or night?

And my second question… how many labs did you run?

You are on propecia, it may not be that hard to understand why you feel unwell.

Not on propecia. Haven’t been for months and months.

Mid afternoon is when I took it a few times and then morning. Pre trt did one lab and it was 175 dhea. 3 months after it was 86. 1 month after 43 and now it’s 75. I’ve had several labs trying to get dialed in. I crashed my e2 initially and now it’s better. Also stopped dosing 200mg week and down to around 150. Total t was over 1500 which seemed to
Give me issues

DHEA kind of gave me the blues when I first started it with 25mg. I took it at night. I switched to first thing in the morning with food and that seemed to have helped. I now take 50mg every day. If your DHEA levels dropped that low, then you may need to be taking more than the standard 25mg dose. I would recommend trying 50mg every morning with breakfast for at least 4-6 weeks and see how you feel from there.

And yes to answer your earlier question…low DHEA levels most definitely affect sleep.

What brand do
You take by chance? Have you had labs?

I take Douglass Labs micronized. I order from amazon. I took labs every 3 months when I started, and my next labs (now on a 6 month schedule) are due in October.

When you first started dhea did it cause you to feel a little different?

Oh yeah for sure. Any time you start taking anything that has to do with hormones, especially if you are sensitive to fluctuations, you will feel “off”(and have periods of feeling “on”) until the body is able to stabilize everything else.

That’s what is hard about hormones. Every one of them affect each other and the body is continually trying to balance everything out. When levels of one fall, levels of another fall as well, or are elevated to compensate. It’s a delicate balance.

When you introduce hormones exogenously, the body has to have time to react and try to sort out everything else that the hormone affects.

And then you have to take into account the receptors of those hormones. If you are deficient for a long time the receptors can become desensitized. They need time to wake back back up as well.

@shanea655
What differences positive & negative did you feel going from 200mg T to 150mg? (after the 6 week point)

200mg for 5 months. Each lab my test was getting higher and higher which I was a super high shbg person with low free t. Total t wasn’t the issue but started pre trt at 650 or so. Last month it was over 1500 and I felt like blood pressure was raising and just didn’t feel healthy. Hemocrat and hemoglobin was fine as well. No change. However the first month on trt I felt amazing. I also crashed e2 and since have stopped taking. I should know in a month or so how everything goes with lower dose test, NO AI, and dhea supplemented since levels are super low

Please update when you are ready. Would love to hear the differences

any update?

Going to start supplementing DHEA 25mg soon. Low on test.

Blood pressure still seems high. Dhea actually makes me feel better with more energy but i can’t sleep at night. I feel over stimmed all the time and dizzy. Not sure what is wrong

I feel this way when my testosterone levels are too high. Your are > 1000? When mine get this high, I feel exactly as you have described - over stimmed, dizzy, in a cloud all the time. I lower my dose and it all goes away.

What’s your dose? Will .3 twice weekly even be enough? Before I would gain weight even when dieting or working out. Now I am leaning up as a result of trt and diet / workout. Just don’t want to overdue it but I was low free t guy and above normal total test/ high shbg

So before trt dhea levels were 145 or so which is in a way lower end. Since trt my levels have gone down to 45. Lately I have seen increased blood pressure and a feeling of vertigo or dizziness ? I started supplementing dhea and it might be helping. Too early to tell? But does low dhea increase cortisol? My symptoms almost occur when I get anxious or get to work and start moving around. Any thoughts about low dhea ?

Good doctors like dr Keith Nichols for example advise their TRT patients to supplement DHEA, try also how they feel on prgnenolone and basically optimize not just testosterone but 4-5 important hormones as well.

Today I have just received my DHEA supplement, its from Natrol brand but its 50mg DHEA per tablet maybe a bit high.

25 mg works for me right now. I understand the role it plays. I’m on hcg which boost pregnelone. My question was based on people who experience side effects from low dhea and what those were

1 Like