Dextrose vs Maltodextrin

So the final word on this is to mix or not to mix?
One can/will stand on its own or should one mix both?
On that note, which one is the optimal one to use in the PWO, if this is the case?

This appears to be developing into a forest for the tree’s scenario. Fast carbs post-workout are always preferable. Dex and Malt serve this purpose.
J.

At the brewing store the guy told me that the “powdered corn syrup” they were selling is the same as maltodextrin. Is this true? I always thought corn syrup was best avoided.

The study which showed a difference in absorption rates between 2 substrates compared fructose and glucose as far as I can remember. It’s therefore false to say that dex & malto would also be absorbed faster because they both use the same transporter, whereas fructose and glucose use different transporters.

Basically I think it will amount to f-all difference regardless of whether you use malto, dex or a combination of the two.

[quote]cycomiko wrote:
James Cain wrote:

WTF? Christian bodybuilding forums? How does biochemistry relate to that?
Because there is a christian bbing forum using the same bizzare concept that you are using.
Anyway, so answer your question, The bonds of the maltodextrin are not broken down until it reaches the small intestine, where various enzymes do this.

Amylase, an enzyme found in the saliva designed to break down carbohydrades, will also perform this role, but the maltodextrine isn’t in your mouth long enough to completely break down every molecule’s bonds.I didnt ask this.

Further, amylase is denatured in the stomach, so unless you actually chew the complex carbs (in this case maltodexrin) for an extended period (in this case you’d be drinking it), you don’t have to worry about this.

Except for the pancreatic amylase that digests the maltodextrin to glucose? but I didnt ask this

once maltodexrine is broken down in the small intestine it is converted into the simpler dextrose.

No, once maltodextrin is digested, it is dextrose, there is no conversion.

Thus, having both in your PWO shake will allow an enhanced carbohydrate uptake into the blood.

except taking in malto and dextose = glucose

taken up by the same mechanism

not faster, no greater transport mechanisms, becuase its the same substrate.[/quote]

You didn’t ask those things, but they were necessary to provide a more thorough explanation. Perhaps this same information is on a Christian bodybuilding forum; I’ve seen similar information posted on many different forums and even a handful of supplement-selling sites.

Based on this theory and general physiology, it seems like it could be a valid approach to enhacing PWO drinks. Read the following articles and you’ll realize that there are a few genreal facts that support this. There are also some facts that seem to disprove this theory.

Like I said, you might be able to get an extra edge by combining the two in your PWO shake, but for most people it’s probably not important. In the bodybuilding world it seems that most things people do to get that extra edge are the things that are supported by some evidence but can’t be fully proved.

[quote]James Cain wrote:

Read the following articles and you’ll realize that there are a few genreal facts that support this.
[/quote]

Apparently my list of linked articles got cut off. Regardless, it’s a moot point by now, as stated above. If you’re that interested search “glucose polymer gastric emtying rates” or something similar on scholar.google.com and you’ll get all the info you need.

I have heard 2 different things about Surge not sure which is accurate…

But Considering Biotest can choose whats best I would tell you all to buy Surge if you can, if not then make your post workout drink as similiar to it as possible…why reinvent the wheel? when you already have TC, JB, and company doing all the work for you…

1. 45 grams of d-glucose and 4 Grams Malto

or

1. 25 grams of d-glucose and 25 grams of maltodextrin

Im not sure if this is in anyway true, but it seems that for myself, when I have malto, i get bigger, compared to when i have dextrose after a workout.

[quote]James Cain wrote:
You didn’t ask those things, but they were necessary to provide a more thorough explanation. Perhaps this same information is on a Christian bodybuilding forum; I’ve seen similar information posted on many different forums and even a handful of supplement-selling sites. [/quote]

I asked “How does maltodextrin /dextrose combination “A solution containing two substrates stimulates the activation of more transport mechanisms in the intestinal lumen” if they are both transported as glucose?”

of which you have not awnsered, in either of your posts. I am NOT talking about gastric emptying as that is NOT transporting through the intestinal lumen, its another issue completely.

Theory no, becuase the transportational pathway is identical for both items because they are the same item, glucose. How does glucose cause an increase in “transport mechanisms” over glucse?

Gastric emptying is not intestinal uptake. Osmolarity and carbohydrate concentration can influence this but you were not talking about this, you were talking about intestinal uptake.

one of the main reasons to consume a mix, is that dextrose is extremely sweet nad maltodextrin is less so. So a mixture of the two allows reasonable intake of carbohydrates without tasting awful (there is also maillard reaction with free glucose and protein, not as important in the powder situation). Osmolarity is of much less importance to the bbr as well, as fluid uptake is seldom an issue.

someone please tell me what is the deal with non-alcoholic beer

it’s only 65 calories a can 13 grams of carbs-from wheat…

soo how about PWO say some kind of protein like hamburger and some beer

can you do non-alcoholic beer for a post work out carb?

[quote]mtotry wrote:

But Considering Biotest can choose whats best I would tell you all to buy Surge if you can, if not then make your post workout drink as similiar to it as possible…why reinvent the wheel? when you already have TC, JB, and company doing all the work for you…

or

1. 25 grams of d-glucose and 25 grams of maltodextrin[/quote]

I had been doing 25grams of each dextrose and malto for the last several months…Today I tried 45 grams of dextrose and 5 grams of malto…MUCH MORE sweet…ill monitor my recovery the next few days/weeks and see if I can feel the difference…

anybody else play around with these ratios??

Thanks for the answers!

Some smarties and some protein and you’re good.

I prefer necco’s.

[quote]clubkozak wrote:
I’m wondering which one is better for post-workout,in an already workout drink mix?[/quote]

What everyone failed to mention was Maltodextrin comes in several different forms. Among other things I used to purchase it from National Starch when I worked in the Food Industry.

Put it like this, I could sell you maltodextrin which was made from debranched retrograded tapioca, classified as a ‘resistant starch’ and it would not be ideal for post workout by any stretch of the imagination.

Much of the time Maltodextrin will be sourced from corn starch BUT it can for also be produced by the hydrolysis of rice or potato starch. They are all ‘Maltodextrin’.

Here’s the rub : processing techniques will offer different properties for each material used as source.

What happens is the amylose to amylopectin ratios will differ. These ratios account for this complex carbohydrate having a high Glycaemic index.

Furthermore it’s feasible to arrive at varying Dextrose Equivalence values for maltodextrin depending on source.

People scoff at the notion there are pretty low GI maltodextrins out there. Most of the lower GI rated products are used in the food industry as texturisers in soups and things.

Classified as a Maltodextrin, phosphated di-starch phosphate a modified resistant starch made from high amylose maize starch, is currently used as a food additive. This is an extremely low GI Maltodextrin.

Researchers suggest that dietary supplementation with resistant maltodextrins has the potential to improve insulin sensitivity.

[quote]mtotry wrote:
mtotry wrote:

or

1. 25 grams of d-glucose and 25 grams of maltodextrin

I had been doing 25grams of each dextrose and malto for the last several months…Today I tried 45 grams of dextrose and 5 grams of malto…MUCH MORE sweet…ill monitor my recovery the next few days/weeks and see if I can feel the difference…

anybody else play around with these ratios??
[/quote]

I’ve played with these, and I can’t go over a 50/50 mix. It just gets unbearably sweet.

Considering both are esentially glucose, I’ve often wondered why the difference in taste is so pronounced. Any thoughts?

[quote]dr stig wrote:
clubkozak wrote:
I’m wondering which one is better for post-workout,in an already workout drink mix?

What everyone failed to mention was Maltodextrin comes in several different forms. Among other things I used to purchase it from National Starch when I worked in the Food Industry.

Put it like this, I could sell you maltodextrin which was made from debranched retrograded tapioca, classified as a ‘resistant starch’ and it would not be ideal for post workout by any stretch of the imagination.

Much of the time Maltodextrin will be sourced from corn starch BUT it can for also be produced by the hydrolysis of rice or potato starch. They are all ‘Maltodextrin’.

Here’s the rub : processing techniques will offer different properties for each material used as source.

What happens is the amylose to amylopectin ratios will differ. These ratios account for this complex carbohydrate having a high Glycaemic index.

Furthermore it’s feasible to arrive at varying Dextrose Equivalence values for maltodextrin depending on source.

People scoff at the notion there are pretty low GI maltodextrins out there. Most of the lower GI rated products are used in the food industry as texturisers in soups and things.

Classified as a Maltodextrin, phosphated di-starch phosphate a modified resistant starch made from high amylose maize starch, is currently used as a food additive. This is an extremely low GI Maltodextrin.

Researchers suggest that dietary supplementation with resistant maltodextrins has the potential to improve insulin sensitivity.[/quote]

Crap. Just when I thought I had things figured out.

So, if you buy some Now Foods malto, what the heck are you getting?

bump - this is a useful thread imo…

[quote]supermick wrote:
bump - this is a useful thread imo…[/quote]

bump - it is useful, and I would really like to hear from someone on NOW malto since I’ve got a couple of tubs laying around.

I used to take 3 scoops of dextrose after a workout and i was never sore. I also sometimes got tired and sluggish during my workout and didnt always have good workouts. Now I am at 2 scoops malto and 1 scoop dextrose(50g malto, 50g dextrose) along with the usual protein. QUestion-how much protein do you drink? Also, i sip roughly 2/3s of what i take during my workout and finish the rest right after my workout.