Dextrose Sugar Pre/Post Workout?

I have took this during and after weight sessions, too good effect.

What do you think about taking it with water before and during rugby games?

Depends on your opinion of spiking insulin.

Some would believe that having pre-game will cause an insulin crash later, so you take more dextrose to pick yourself up later (say half time) and then more post game.

I would use maltodextrin instead, as far as i’m aware this is isotonic, not hypotonic, so won’t spike your insulin (someone correct me if i’m wrong) but will still provide you with energy thoughout the game.

if it’s been working for you for weight training then it should work for you for rugby. Just try it out.

Cantona really should stick to football.

[quote]toby_w wrote:
I would use maltodextrin instead, as far as i’m aware this is isotonic, not hypotonic, so won’t spike your insulin (someone correct me if i’m wrong) but will still provide you with energy thoughout the game.[/quote]

Maltodextrin can result is a glycemic response similar to that of Dextrose. It depends on the source, corn starch in particular will spike insulin.

[quote]redgladiator wrote:
toby_w wrote:
I would use maltodextrin instead, as far as i’m aware this is isotonic, not hypotonic, so won’t spike your insulin (someone correct me if i’m wrong) but will still provide you with energy thoughout the game.

Maltodextrin can result is a glycemic response similar to that of Dextrose. It depends on the source, corn starch in particular will spike insulin.[/quote]

I thought that maltodextrin was just two dextrose molecules/particles joined together and takes time to break down into dextrose and then glycogen and as such has less of an effect on blood sugar and insulin levels.

To the OP, I have found that drinks like lucozade sport with maltodextrin in have possibly helped and definitely not hindered my performance in the gym and/or sports field. In terms of the gym, simple sugars pre-workout have caused me to crash halfway through. On a sports pitch, particularly rugby, this is negated by the adrenalin from playing. So I think my answer is, try stuff in training, and apply what works in matches.

[quote]toby_w wrote:
redgladiator wrote:
toby_w wrote:

Maltodextrin can result is a glycemic response similar to that of Dextrose. It depends on the source, corn starch in particular will spike insulin.

[/quote]

The bonds in malto are weak, technically a complex carb but acts like a simple carb.

How long does a rugby match last?

IMO…

Dextrose should be good for about an hour…

Meaning…if a match lasts 2 hrs, I’d start drinking it at the midway point and keep drinking it thru til the end (to avoid crashing).

Ultimately though, you’ll probably just need to try it out on yourself and see how it works for you.