T Nation

Dextrose or Maltodextrin for PWO Carbs?

I’m looking to buy either Dextrose or Maltodextrin to add with my WPC for my PWO shake although I’m not sure which one is better for the occasion.

I’m leaning towards Dextrose as I think its a simple sugar(extracted from corn I believe?) and faster absorbed then Maltodextrin. Its also the cheaper of the two.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Based on research that shows that a blend of carb sources are better absorbed I’d go with both.

I use Surge, so it’s a no-brainer since it already contains both.

I go malto, dex and WPI of ratio 1:1:1
Add creatine and BCAA and you’re in business.

I use Surge when I can get it on the cheap but it’s really expensive in UK.

If you had to choose between the two, I would go with what ever you prefer taste wise. I tend to go with malto as it doesn’t change the taste of my WPI too much.

There are different types of maltodextrin, I believe the type derived from corn is absorbed as fast as dextrose and produces similar insulin spike.

I usually go 50% of the carbs from Dextrose and 50% from Malto and 5g creatine seems to be doing just fine so far. I think both are relatively cheap to boot.

Hmm wasn’t aware that Surge had both. Yea they are both cheap, it is sugar after all. Taste doesn’t really bother me since I slam down my shakes fast because they taste crap.

I like the idea of 1:1:1 though.

Thing is they come in 5kg bags, and along with my 20kg bag of protein I will have to somehow find room to store 30kg of powder if I get both lol…