T Nation

Dextrose Monohydrate Pre Workout as an Insulin Spike

As per the tread title, I was wondering as CT has been talking about in getting into the ‘invincible zone’ prior to doing weights if it was feasible to take approx 40-60g with water 15 minutes prior to workout. I am a beginner, I do feel very ‘amped’ after 15 mins and my warmup etc however, is this effective in increasing muscle mass etc etc. does taking such a large amount of sugar impact my health and or insulin sensitivity or is 40-60g tiny amounts…? My weight is 71kg currently (156 pounds) and I am currently progressing well

cheers

At your weight, you don’t need to worry about carbs peri workout, assuming that you’re lifting with any amount of intensity.

It really isn’t a big amount of sugar, a normal portion of pasta as at least this much in carbs…of course it’s not exactly the same but it still proves the point.

At your weight, unless you are already fat, don’t worry about the carbs. Actually, carbs in general are a very easy and effective way to gain mass, whether from sugar around training or from more complex carbs in your meals.

If you’re looking for an insulin spike immediately prior to training, 15g of dextrose should be plenty. But it’s not just the insulin spike that gives the training edge. First you have to load your bloodstream with carbs without causing an insulin spike.

When you’re lifting, the insulin response of the body is shut off and the muscles intake fuel and nutrients through non-insulin uptake. What you’re trying to do is spike insulin pre-workout to maximize uptake by the cells (you get the normal insulin response plus the non-insulin uptake).

[quote]Nyral wrote:
It really isn’t a big amount of sugar, a normal portion of pasta as at least this much in carbs…of course it’s not exactly the same but it still proves the point.

At your weight, unless you are already fat, don’t worry about the carbs. Actually, carbs in general are a very easy and effective way to gain mass, whether from sugar around training or from more complex carbs in your meals.[/quote]

There is a huge difference between 50g of carbs in pasta and 50g in pure dextrose. The dextrose requires no breakdown. Its all in your system in a matter of minutes. The carbs from pasta have to be broken down before the intestines can absorb them, so you get a steady flow of carbs for several hours.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
At your weight, you don’t need to worry about carbs peri workout, assuming that you’re lifting with any amount of intensity.[/quote]

Agree. I would still take carbs before a workout, but spiking insulin and all that is not what you really need to worry about right now.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
At your weight, you don’t need to worry about carbs peri workout, assuming that you’re lifting with any amount of intensity.[/quote]

I don’t understand what his weight has to do with anything. Is he not big enough to build muscle yet? Or not big enough to build it faster?

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
At your weight, you don’t need to worry about carbs peri workout, assuming that you’re lifting with any amount of intensity.

I don’t understand what his weight has to do with anything. Is he not big enough to build muscle yet? Or not big enough to build it faster?[/quote]

Not big enough to worry about carbs making him fat, as per his question about insulin sensitivity.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Nyral wrote:

At your weight, unless you are already fat, don’t worry about the carbs. Actually, carbs in general are a very easy and effective way to gain mass, whether from sugar around training or from more complex carbs in your meals.

There is a huge difference between 50g of carbs in pasta and 50g in pure dextrose. The dextrose requires no breakdown. Its all in your system in a matter of minutes. The carbs from pasta have to be broken down before the intestines can absorb them, so you get a steady flow of carbs for several hours.[/quote]

Of course, of course, I was just looking at it from a caloric point of view, i.e. he won’t get fat from it.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
JayPierce wrote:
chimera182 wrote:

I don’t understand what his weight has to do with anything. Is he not big enough to build muscle yet? Or not big enough to build it faster?

Not big enough to worry about carbs making him fat, as per his question about insulin sensitivity. [/quote]

Ah… I misunderstood. You were saying not to worry about any negative effects of para-workout carbs.

I don’t know of any negative points to carbs pre- or post-workout, so it didn’t cross my mind.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
JayPierce wrote:
chimera182 wrote:

Not big enough to worry about carbs making him fat, as per his question about insulin sensitivity.

Ah… I misunderstood. You were saying not to worry about any negative effects of para-workout carbs.

I don’t know of any negative points to carbs pre- or post-workout, so it didn’t cross my mind.[/quote]

Yeah, I probably could have been more clear.

Someone at 156lbs can probably afford to follow the Berardi para-workout protocol. He recommends this for natural ectomorphs:

15 mins before: 55g dextrose and 26g whey protein
During: as above
Immediately after: as above

That’s 165g dextrose para-workout! Berardi knows his stuff so don’t sweat it.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
If you’re looking for an insulin spike immediately prior to training, 15g of dextrose should be plenty. But it’s not just the insulin spike that gives the training edge. First you have to load your bloodstream with carbs without causing an insulin spike.

When you’re lifting, the insulin response of the body is shut off and the muscles intake fuel and nutrients through non-insulin uptake. What you’re trying to do is spike insulin pre-workout to maximize uptake by the cells (you get the normal insulin response plus the non-insulin uptake).
[/quote]

so 50g is just way overkill? even it does get me in the invincible ‘zone’?

for the Bernadi thing i would go through a shitload of supplements it’d probably cost me $100 month! ill try it anywho thanks

[quote]flyingstart wrote:
JayPierce wrote:

so 50g is just way overkill? even it does get me in the invincible ‘zone’?

for the Bernadi thing i would go through a shitload of supplements it’d probably cost me $100 month! ill try it anywho thanks[/quote]

Not necessarily overkill. If you’re looking to spike insulin, 15g will do. If you need more energy during the workout, 50g will put more carbs in your bloodstream.