Dextrose/Maltodextrin Pre-Workout?

Hey guys, I’ve used the search function but couldn’t find an exact answer to my question.

Since I train fasted first thing in the morning I’m going to try adding some carbs before and during training in the form of dextrose and maltodextrin.
I’m going to start with 50/50 mix and about 35 grams total to start.
Should I drink the whole thing a specific amount of time before lifting or start sipping on my way to the gym and finish it over the course of the session?
I’m in the gym for about 45 minutes up to an hour.

How do you commute to the gym? Car, bike or walk?

I drive, it takes me about ten minutes to get there.

Okay, here’s what I’d do, I’d drive to the gym with my intra-workout nutrition still dry in the shaker. At the gym, I’d fill the shake to about half (this depends on the size of course), shake it around, and drink half of that. Then, I’d fill it to the top and continue to sip that during my workout.

So, for a 1000ml bottle (1 liter) it’d go like t his,

1. Fill to 500ml
  2. Drink 250ml
  3. Fill up to 1000ml
  4. Finish the rest before your workout ends

Any particular reason you chose these? Highly branched cyclic dextrin is, in my opinion, far superior. I sometimes train around 6 AM and use a mix of HBCD, hydrolyzed whey isolate and potassium chloride. This works very well.

HBCD is more expensive (1 kg is $34 on Amazon), but worth the investment.

1 Like

Tight budget at the moment, but I do plan on moving to HBCD if I notice any positive benefits from the intra-workout carbs. I’ve found plenty of info on timing the consumption of that one but less so with dex/malto.

So is the goal of this to spike insulin and then to keep it from dipping during the training session?

More or less. Read this if you haven’t already,

Sucrose is a better sugar than pure glucose, just eat or drink fruits

There’s a thing as too much fruit. Fructose is metabolised differently from glucose and having too much fruit can negatively impact on your liver health. That doesn’t mean, avoid fruit. But somewhere between 2-5 servings is going to be what you’ll want to limit your intake to depending on your size, activity level and which fruit you will opt for as they do not all have the same percentage of fructose.

There’s such a thing as too much glucose or starch or any sugar, that’s not the point - what I said was that sucrose is a better periWO nutrition than glucose alone (or fructose alone, but nobody would consider that except Lustig), plus fruits tend to pack some potassium, magnesium, vitamins, polyphenols.

I’ll add that galactose also out performs glucose when it comes to liver replenishing. I’ve been enjoying my milk chocolate PWO + zerocarb dinners lately.

1 Like

Indeed you did say this. It was not my intent was to invalidate what you wrote, and I should have prefaced my post that it was meant to be viewed in the light of an auxiliary caveat emptor.

Suppose someone reads a T-nation article prescribing 60-80g carbs intra-workout and then goes and has themselves 700ml of orange juice (~70g of carbs) which is almost 18 grams of fructose.

And then they have an apple, and a serving of dates (because they’ve read that they should be having two servings of fruit each day) but are, with the exception of their workout rather sedentary. They may now have had too much fructose.

Who’s this?

Is this written without a space character because it’s something specific, or do you simply mean that with the exception of milk you don’t consume any other carbs with dinner?