T Nation

Dexter Jackson for the 2013 Mr. Olympia

So, I noticed there isn't much talk of Dexter Jackson for this year's Olympia - which is understandable, given the names that will be out on stage (Heath, Cutler, Greene, Wolf, and this year's biggest variable - Big Ramy). But it's hard to deny that he always comes in with great conditioning, and given the fact that it seems like it could be any man's game this year, how do you guys think he'll do? I think it's dangerous to take him out of the equation.

I read a nice write up by John Hansen where he had Dex pegged for 6th place, which for a guy in his 40’s, in such a deep lineup is just amazing.

S

Poses zero threat to win the show. In all honestly, despite all of the love for so many competitors, I think the only people who have a shot are Kai, Phil and Jay. Everyone else is battling for top 6.

I’m not saying those 3 will definitely all be top 3, but I think they’re the only 3 with the potential to win it this year.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Poses zero threat to win the show. In all honestly, despite all of the love for so many competitors, I think the only people who have a shot are Kai, Phil and Jay. Everyone else is battling for top 6.

I’m not saying those 3 will definitely all be top 3, but I think they’re the only 3 with the potential to win it this year. [/quote]

Oh, I don’t think anyone would argue he’s gonna win. But he is dangerous enough to make money. I’m just surprised when everyone’s talking about top 6 no-one even includes him.

If everyone comes in at the best they can be, Dexter is out of the top 6, which is why people don’t get so excited about where he will place. But from 2002 on he’s been in the top 6 at every Mr. Olympia he’s gone to because he shows up in great shape every single time and doesn’t have the ‘off’ days other competitors seem to.

The problem, and this is what plagued Lee Labrada in his day, is simply one of stature. On his own, Dex possesses perhaps the most balanced, complete physique on the stage. Of course when you’re giving up anywhere up to 50 or so lbs to competitors standing to both sides, and they also come in shape, well, it’s a hard sell visually.

Labrada came DAMN close to beating Haney on one occasion, and if memory serves, was actually ahead after the prejudging (the “fact” that Haney beats him in the posing round definitely raises eyebrows as to the honesty of the event being an actual contest). However, Labrada’s overall superiority in terms of conditioning, symmetry etc was not sufficient to counter Haney’s certain excellence in those areas coupled with an obvious abundance of size.

Dex CAN POTENTIALLY make top 6 IMO, but there are a lot of factors in terms of his being at his very best, and a few of the upper-second-tier guys being off a bit.

S

Dexter Jackson is superb on the conditioning front and has been since I can remember. Unfortunately that’s the problem, as he is usually always on the judges find it hard to see any improvements from last year. Usually that means he can work his way up in the contest if others are off, but if they all come in the shape of their lives, Dex may be left out of the top 6 for the first time.

I agree with Stu - on his own, Dexter is unbeatable but then again so are many others. I’ve always liked his physique and he is one of the most marketable bodybuilders for the average Joe e.g. freaky, but can still gain stares of admiration rather than just ‘roids’.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

I’m not saying those 3 will definitely all be top 3, but I think they’re the only 3 with the potential to win it this year. [/quote]
Good post.

I think it’s more like Jay versus Phil though. Who should REALLY win is a different story.

I think I remember his gut being a bit of a problem for the Master’s last year, but that’s the last time I remember his condition being considered off. I really think he could crack the top 6 again this year, as I don’t think everyone is going to come in 100%. I can’t remember the last Olympia there wasn’t someone expected to place top six that came in off-conditioning.