T Nation

Dex VS Maltdextrine in Pre and Post-workout

Why is it typically recommended that Dextrose is preferable post-workout when they both have the same GI ratings? Since complex carbs seem to prefer muscle storage to liver storage versus simple sugars usually having to make their way to the liver first (my understanding, at least), I’ve been curious about this.

I’m not sure that one is preferable over the other. A 50/50 combo is better.

You have to look beyond just simple vs. complex beacause different sugars get a different reaction from the body. Glucose and fructose are both simple sugars, yet they are metabolized very differently.

Also, maltodextrin is a complex carb, but the molecules are held together by very weak hydrogen bonds so it is still absorbed very quickly.

Dextrose alone is not optimal because the osmolarity of the solution would be high and would slow gastric emptying. I believe that it also causes some dehydration to occur.

By adding maltodextrin, you reduce the osmolarity concentration yet you still get an optimal rate of absorption.

There are also studies indicating that a solution with two substrates activates more transport mechanisms.

Of course, this is only one part of the equation. There is a lot of other PWO minutia you can get into but I don’t have the time or the will power to expound any further.

Bottom line is, use both dextrose and maltodextrin if you’re going to make your own PWO drink. Of course Berardi and Biotest have already figured out all the ratios of carbs, protein, BCAAs, etc. and made it into a tasty drink. So if you can afford it, I’d get Surge.