'Devil' by M. Night Shymalan

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
Let’s remember that he only WROTE THE STORY for Devil. The only reason you people think this movie was OK is because someone ELSE wrote the SCREENPLAY and someone ELSE DIRECTED it. IN fact this is what M Night should do from now on, just write some fucking stories. He can’t write screenplays for shit or direct.[/quote]

I agree 100%…because I find it hard to believe the guy who came up with that Airbender crap suddenly made a good flick.

This explains it. He let someone else do it.

He should have done the same for the Village and Lady in the Water.[/quote]

Are you saying that “The 6th Sense” and “Unbreakable” were flukes?

[/quote]

Yes. Either that or he peaked at Signs. Just look at the rest of his work The Village, Lady In the Water, The Happening, and the crapfest that was The Last Airbender. His work is suffering and a lot his last movies: As MattyXL/Peter Griffin would say “It insist upon itself”

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
Let’s remember that he only WROTE THE STORY for Devil. The only reason you people think this movie was OK is because someone ELSE wrote the SCREENPLAY and someone ELSE DIRECTED it. IN fact this is what M Night should do from now on, just write some fucking stories. He can’t write screenplays for shit or direct.[/quote]

I agree 100%…because I find it hard to believe the guy who came up with that Airbender crap suddenly made a good flick.

[/quote]

I think the man has a great idea every once in a while…but I also think he had ZERO passion for the Last Airbender and simply did it for the money.

For that, he loses credit with me.

It’s going to be bad. Hence, WolBarret will like it.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[/quote]

I think the man has a great idea every once in a while…but I also think he had ZERO passion for the Last Airbender and simply did it for the money.

For that, he loses credit with me.[/quote]

This brings up an interesting topic.

In art, it’s often said that you’re only as good as your last painting. But does that negate the true greatness of past work?

A friend of mine is a photographer. He’s brilliant at times, and when I say so, he dismisses it, saying, “Anyone can shoot several rolls of film, find ONE shot among them that’s masterful, then display it as a stand-alone. The public has no idea how many failures you went through before hitting that one shot.”

i heard it was hilarious. not quite as funny as “the happening,” but still worth a watch for that reason alone. since i haven’t seen it yet myself, did anyone else feel that way?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

A friend of mine is a photographer. He’s brilliant at times, and when I say so, he dismisses it, saying, “Anyone can shoot several rolls of film, find ONE shot among them that’s masterful, then display it as a stand-alone. The public has no idea how many failures you went through before hitting that one shot.”

[/quote]

After he said that did you blow out your bong hit and say, “Duuude, that’s deep man.”

Feel free to PM me and tell me how it ended. I don’t want to go see it.

[quote]Pootie Tang wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[/quote]

Yes. Either that or he peaked at Signs. Just look at the rest of his work The Village, Lady In the Water, The Happening, and the crapfest that was The Last Airbender. His work is suffering and a lot his last movies: As MattyXL/Peter Griffin would say “It insist upon itself”
[/quote]

The Happening was horrible, but I did like Village and Lady in the Water. I mean the latter two were no 6th Sense but I thought he did a decent job. I’d like to go see Devil for sure, I skipped Air Bender purely because I couldn’t be bothered.

Okay, so The 6th Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs were his strong films.
Failures were The Happening, The Village, Lady in the Water, And The Last Air Bender (apologies if I missed any).

Is that a bad average? Does that make him a shitty film maker?

Picasso created about 10,000 pieces of art. Of those only around 100 (or even less) are considered masterpieces. That’s a pretty shitty average.
Yet he’s considered a genius.

ID I would agree, but it did not cost Picasso millions of dollars to make those pieces of art.

Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were cool. I felt like he stole from me when I paid to see the Village. I haven’t seen any of his movies since.

jpb

[quote]DJHT wrote:
ID I would agree, but it did not cost Picasso millions of dollars to make those pieces of art. [/quote]

Well, if we factor in the investment, that’s another issue altogether (aside from the actual film making process).

Okay, he’s a shitty film maker.

But I await his redemption!

lol

^HaHaHa, yea the wife wants to see this movie for some reason. I am not a film critic so I just go enjoy most movies for what they are.

The one movie he made that I enjoyed was the Sixth Sense. Signs was alright, I didn’t care much for Unbreakable, I thought the Happening was boring (and was amused that the way the marketed it was that it was his first R rated movie), and didn’t bother seeing The Village or The Lady in the Water due to word of mouth and not really caring for his movies.

He’s good at creating atmosphere, but I find the plots of his movies a little weak. He should become a screen writer or try getting into cinematography instead of actually taking the helm of movies.

On a related note, this clip from South Park is a fairly accurate depiction: South Park - Season 25 - TV Series | South Park Studios US

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Happening was horrible, but I did like Village and Lady in the Water. I mean the latter two were no 6th Sense but I thought he did a decent job. I’d like to go see Devil for sure, I skipped Air Bender purely because I couldn’t be bothered.
[/quote]

I like the village also but I think it was because of the absolutely fantastic acting. Juoaquin… and that redheaded girl was just amazing. Some of the best acting I’ve really ever seen. I think she’s some directors daughter its slipping my mind right now.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I like the village also but I think it was because of the absolutely fantastic acting. Juoaquin… and that redheaded girl was just amazing. Some of the best acting I’ve really ever seen. I think she’s some directors daughter its slipping my mind right now.
[/quote]
That’s Bryce Howard… Ron Howard’s daughter.

She REALLY impressed me.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Okay, so The 6th Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs were his strong films.
Failures were The Happening, The Village, Lady in the Water, And The Last Air Bender (apologies if I missed any).

Is that a bad average? Does that make him a shitty film maker?

Picasso created about 10,000 pieces of art. Of those only around 100 (or even less) are considered masterpieces. That’s a pretty shitty average.
Yet he’s considered a genius. [/quote]
Signs was ok and you are comparing apples and oranges. Compare him to top directors and he is garbage. And it’s not like anything recent has been good it’s been a steady downhill trip for him.

So, anyone want to tell me if it was the old lady that was the devil all along? That was my first guess from seeing the trailer. Also: M. Night Shyamalan is Making a Trilogy. Of Movies. Really. | Cracked.com

It’d have to be an absolutely fantastic movie to redeem him for all the cinematic abortions he’s created over the years.

Don’t think I’ll ever find out though.