Developing Summer Bulking Program

This is my first post here but I’ve been gathering info from the articles for a few months now. To start off with some background info on myself; I’m 18 years old, I’ve been training for 3 years and my primary focus is hockey. I’m 6’3" and 165 lbs (yeah I’m a skinny prick). Last season I was 175 lbs but by the end of the season I had dropped to 160 lbs.

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease (auto-immune disorder which calls for a strict gluten free diet) during the offseason. I had a food intolerance test done and found that I’m intolerant to lactose and eggs and I’m supposed to limit beef and chicken to twice a week each. I think my biggest obstacle is getting enough cals in to meet my requirements.

I will be able to start training at the beginning of May roughly and end mid August. I’ve worked with a trainer the past 3 years but it was a group setting and I don’t believe my workout was specialized enough to my needs so I’ve decided to develop my own program and I’d like some input. I wouldn’t consider myself a newbie to working out, I know most exercises and I’d like to think my technique is fairly good but at 165 lbs the strength certainly isn’t where I’d like it to be. At the end of last summer my bench max was 200 and my squat max was 315. I’m sure they’ve dropped over the winter though as our hockey schedule is quite rigorous.

Basically, my reason for posting is to get some input on how to setup my program for max weight gains. My goal is to reach 185 lbs by the end of summer. Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

Cole

Since your relative strength seems to be quite good: Try Dan John’s Mas Made Simple. It’s dirt cheap as an ebook on amazon and it WORKS if you have the guts to go through it.

[quote]hammerheadweds wrote:
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease (auto-immune disorder which calls for a strict gluten free diet) during the offseason. I had a food intolerance test done and found that I’m intolerant to lactose and eggs and I’m supposed to limit beef and chicken to twice a week each. I think my biggest obstacle is getting enough cals in to meet my requirements.
[/quote]
First off, get a 2nd opinion.

Celiacs Disease aside why did your doctor tell you to limit chicken and beef?

Exactly how “intolerant” are you to lactose and eggs? (Use the scale the allergist gave you)

[quote]JLone wrote:

[/quote]

Exactly how “intolerant” are you to lactose and eggs? (Use the scale the allergist gave you)
[/quote]

I had a full food tolerance test done. It tested a broad spectrum of foods. The scale they gave said 5 was considered intolerant, 3 was somewhat and below that is optimal. I was 5.4 for beef, 4.7 for chicken and lactose and eggs were both around 13 I can’t remember the exact number but quite high. However, this was done last summer right when I was diagnosed. I’m going to try to do it again after the season because the numbers should go down as my digestive system heals.

Is there an intolerance test that you know of specifically to be accurate?

[quote]JLone wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I had a full food tolerance test done. It tested a broad spectrum of foods. The scale they gave said 5 was considered intolerant, 3 was somewhat and below that is optimal. I was 5.4 for beef, 4.7 for chicken and lactose and eggs were both around 13 I can’t remember the exact number but quite high. However, this was done last summer right when I was diagnosed. I’m going to try to do it again after the season because the numbers should go down as my digestive system heals.

Is there an intolerance test that you know of specifically to be accurate?[/quote]
Sorry, I didn’t mean opinion, I meant 2nd set of tests. If you are going to another set after the season that would be good.

Let me personally say that I am sorry to hear you have celiacs disease. I only know one person with celiacs and her whole life revolves around it. Your best bet is going to be reading, reading and reading; books, food labels, menus, food manufactures websites. You even have to go so far as to know the kind of starch in your favorite liqueur. (I think authentic potato vodka is still safe)

I store like Whole Foods might be a good place to start since they will have a special section. Many online communities cater to people with celiacs as well.

Find a list of foods you are not allergic to and memorize them. And since you can’t eat beef or chicken find a protein powder that fits the bill too.

Yeah it was really tough at first but I’ve gotten used to it. I eat a lot more rice and potatoes now and I’ve found a couple brands of gluten-free pasta that I don’t mind. My billet mom has even gotten good at baking gluten-free. The worst is fast food though, I basically have no options. Its tough with ice cream out of the picture. Oh well, should be that much sweeter when the weight does come.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Since your relative strength seems to be quite good: Try Dan John’s Mas Made Simple. It’s dirt cheap as an ebook on amazon and it WORKS if you have the guts to go through it.[/quote]
I’ll take a look at it, thanks. How many phases does it include?

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Since your relative strength seems to be quite good: Try Dan John’s Mas Made Simple. It’s dirt cheap as an ebook on amazon and it WORKS if you have the guts to go through it.[/quote]
I’ll take a look at it, thanks. How many phases does it include?[/quote]

It’s six weeks of hell, with a workout every three days so your weekly schedule will vary. Each training has three parts: upper body strength training, barbell complexes and high rep back squats. If you eat enough food as you should, you can gain a LOT, especially in the legs. After those six weeks, get on any program that focuses on compound lifts in the 3-8 rep range and won’t have you hit the gym more often than 4x/week.