T Nation

Developing New Products

I’m going to college next year as a freshman. I was wondering what one actually studies to develop new products. For example, what are the occupations of people that developed Grow! or Surge? I always enjoyed weightlifting and I like science/math. I figured i put 2 and 2 together to find a pleasing area of study.

If you are talking about food related product design then the obvious choice is Food Science. This is usually apart of most Agricultural faculties. But I warn you most will be geared to big business type food design- designing bad bad things for you.

So my advice to you is learn the science - don’t complain about the crap they want you to design and then upon graduating go for the good things and work for Biotest or do your own thing.

You’ll probably be looking for chemistry. Researching new supplements and new production pathways for current supps will require chemistry.

[quote]Fishdog70 wrote:
You’ll probably be looking for chemistry. Researching new supplements and new production pathways for current supps will require chemistry.[/quote]

I agree.

However, I think it’s a fusion of both Chemistry and Food Science.

Food science IS chemistry but chemistry is not food science.

If you want to develop food related products then go into FOOD SCIENCE not Chemistry. Your first couple of years you will be taking all the organic and inorganic chem classes you will need to apply to the science of making food.

But remember don’t think that you will learn much about nutrition in Food Science just as you wouldn’t in a Medical Faculty. Unless, things have changed drastically nutrition is way down the list of important subjects.

But i am sure you would be allowed to take nutrition classes as electives. Just don’t think that most of your profs will be enlightened regarding this.

Depends on who you want to develop supplements for. At a typical company you’ll need a basic understanding of human physiology, and an average amount of creativity, so you can figure out how to take a popular product and change it. Another option, you could have a little more imagination so you can just make up bullshit and make a ton of cash.
If you want to have integrity and work for Biotest, you’ll likely need a complex understanding of physiology and biochemistry or pharmacology and organic/analytical chemistry, the extent to which you’ll likely need an advanced graduate degree. With this you’ll need a tremendous amount of creativity so you can actually think of novel supplement ideas, rather than just tweaking old stand-by’s like creatine. This has been the trend for each of Biotests supplements so far.

Cheers