Developing A Skill Over the Summer?

Here’s an idea for a skill - Learn how to work.

Any job will do as long as it’s hard graft and long hours. Even better if the pay is crap and the environment you work in is a bad one.

Shoveling shit for 12 hour shifts on minimum wage 7 days a week should do the trick.

At the end of it will you be able to work better with wood? Make a solder joint on copper pipe? Cement bricks in a straight line? Probably not, but you will have learnt a valuable skill that will help you for the rest of your life.

The skill? How to get up and work your ass off because you have to. I’m talking about a mind set skill here rather than any sort of demonstrable skill.

Get off your high horse with your attitude to serving and working shit jobs. First off somebody has to do them. Second, why not try and do one of those jobs and excel at it? I think you may find it more difficult than you think.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Sounds like you have a shitty attitude. Good luck.[/quote]

quoted for truth.

I’m sorry you have such little respect for food servers, but it’s ok, they probably don’t notice your scorn and disdain when they’re handling your food.

On a more positive note, waiting tables is a great way to develop people skills. You’d be amazed how well it prepares you for the business world when it comes to dealing with angry or rude people without losing your temper. Sure, you can’t necessarily put it on a resume, but nunchuck skills don’t always go over well either.

[quote]Renton wrote:
Shoveling shit for 12 hour shifts on minimum wage 7 days a week should do the trick.

At the end of it will you be able to work better with wood? Make a solder joint on copper pipe? Cement bricks in a straight line? Probably not, but you will have learnt a valuable skill that will help you for the rest of your life.

The skill? How to get up and work your ass off because you have to. I’m talking about a mind set skill here rather than any sort of demonstrable skill.

Get off your high horse with your attitude to serving and working shit jobs. First off somebody has to do them. Second, why not try and do one of those jobs and excel at it? I think you may find it more difficult than you think.[/quote]

Did that and I agree with everything you said.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
I’m 21, I have some computer skills, I’m right under being a sophomore at college (ya i fucked a round) I have a little money saved but want to improve my employability and my personal equity.

I’m in an internship program with my school, but probably won’t be able to get a paid internship for a minute, I just transfered schools and just declared my major. Business and Spanish that is.

I speak Spanish but I live in a city that’s population ratio is about the same as South Africa, so my Spanish is rarer here but also less useful. As maybe 2 percent or less of people speak Spanish.

I’m also pretty good at weightlifting and am kind of handy.

I’d like to learn something, or hook up with anything like a trade or any other sort of ability that has some kind of reliability and use.

I’d love to learn carpentry, I’m also thinking about maybe hooking up with something like concrete or asphalt over the summer and saving some dollars and getting experience doing that.

The one thing I really don’t want to do is have to wait tables and be unskilled little bitch who has to grovel and beg for money.

“Hi, Welcome to Houlihans, can I suck your dick and look like a total female in front of you and your girlfriend because I have no human value other than walking from your table and getting you a soda and begging you for money for thsi activity?”

“Hey Dan, let’s go get high in the freezer because our life sucks.”

Or suck dick in Walmart aisles because I failed to develop a variety of skills.

Suggestions?[/quote]

oh yah… you’ll go far.

There is nothing wrong with those jobs you listed unless you disrespect yourself while doing those jobs.

How could you think it is beneath you to be a waitperson or work retail.

Fella you aren’t even a developed person yet.

You better learn to suck it up and deal with people because that is what gets you hired. I don’t care how great your skills are, those can be taught and learned, but if you have a crappy attitude I am going to fire your ass.

That should be the skill you learn over the summer. That and how to deal with life in the real world and not in the OC version you seem to be living in your easy college world.

Bartending school…make a shit load of money at a good bar/club

Or you could just start jerking guys off on the corner for 10 bucks

Yep, with is where I officially withdraw my willingness to help, and suggest you consider self-fornication.

Best of luck.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:
I’m 21, I have some computer skills, I’m right under being a sophomore at college (ya i fucked a round) I have a little money saved but want to improve my employability and my personal equity.

I’m in an internship program with my school, but probably won’t be able to get a paid internship for a minute, I just transfered schools and just declared my major. Business and Spanish that is.

I speak Spanish but I live in a city that’s population ratio is about the same as South Africa, so my Spanish is rarer here but also less useful. As maybe 2 percent or less of people speak Spanish.

I’d like to learn something, or hook up with anything like a trade or any other sort of ability that has some kind of reliability and use.

I’d love to learn carpentry, I’m also thinking about maybe hooking up with something like concrete or asphalt over the summer and saving some dollars and getting experience doing that.

The one thing I really don’t want to do is have to wait tables and be unskilled little bitch who has to grovel and beg for money.

“Hi, Welcome to Houlihans, can I suck your dick and look like a total female in front of you and your girlfriend because I have no human value other than walking from your table and getting you a soda and begging you for money for thsi activity?”

Suggestions?[/quote]

Wow! All I can say is wow! I know a guy who talks morosefully like you. Is this Yoko? I already told you Yoko, stop smoking so much pot and playing video games and work your ass off.

Seriously though, crying about how sad your life is on an internet forum is one of those things that will get you far in life. Best of luck.

Just get out more often…live life…and stop wasting time…or you’ll wake up and be 30years old saying “Man,I wasted too much time.”

If you want to learn trade skills you will have to find a non union project and hire on as a helper. In HS and College I worked summers and these are some of the things I picked up:

Driving a 10 wheeled dump truck.
Operating a backhoe/loader combo.
Pouring concrete for sidewalks and pathways.
Being a lifeguard at a beach.
Cook at a crabhouse. (seafood restaurant)
Surveying.

That about covers it. Apply in person. Be ready to work right away. Have a clean driving record and be enthusiastic about it. Show up everyday and on time and don’t leave “just a few minutes early”. I offered to work for free the first couple of part time jobs I had to see if I liked it and so they could see I could do the job. The employer never took me up on the offer and I always landed the job.

By the way even though I used a lot of those skills in other jobs over the years but the simple lesson of working hard and being reliable was the key.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
Nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills. Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.[/quote]

Classic. Best come back ever on the forums. You win. 8)

[quote]Renton wrote:
Here’s an idea for a skill - Learn how to work.

Any job will do as long as it’s hard graft and long hours. Even better if the pay is crap and the environment you work in is a bad one.

Get off your high horse with your attitude to serving and working shit jobs. First off somebody has to do them. Second, why not try and do one of those jobs and excel at it? I think you may find it more difficult than you think.[/quote]

Spot on post.

[quote]football061 wrote:
Or you could just start jerking guys off on the corner for 10 bucks[/quote]

Memories of last summer mate?

[quote]Guerrero wrote:

Suggestions?[/quote]

Yeah, go fuck yourself, I’m a waiter and I make good money and don’t bust my ass outside when it’s hot as fuck.

They let me eat on the job, too. You’re probably one of the dickheads that tips like shit.

P.S. we spit in your food.

You want to improve your employability over the Summer? Learn touch-typing. You can learn it in a couple of weeks, and it’s a skill that’s going to support you in your studies as well as in any office-based workplace.

I’m not kidding - it’s amazing how many people whose job it is to write for a living not being able to fluently and swiftly type, spending time and concentration on navigating a keyboard. Properly learnt, it will even help you prevent RSI when typing away all day - which in the future most likely, you will.

I know it sound banal, but give it a go. Best learn it in a course, where you are forced to keep up the discipline, and you get some sort of diploma for it.

My 0.02GBP

Makkun

[quote]Guerrero wrote:

Suggestions?[/quote]

You’re like one of those nutjobs you run into on the street who sounds normal at first and then they start really rambling and you realize they’re totally fucked up.

LMFAO - Where’s Prof X when you need him?

You sound like an asshole, but I’m pretty generous. I doubt you’d do well with trade skills, and electrician doesn’t = equity position.

Work harder in school, join clubs, start preparing for junior summer internships now + take accounting and any IS courses available to you + Javanotes 9, JavaFX Edition -- Title Page + Webcast and Legacy Course Capture | Research, Teaching, and Learning

You’ll thank me later. Or maybe you won’t. I don’t really give a shit.

Ya I started two clubs at my school.

People do tell me I have a shit attitude sometimes.

I started working at 14, I’ve worked a bunch of different types of stuff.

I’m gonna apply for some jobs. I have a problem with people taking down to me, I don’t do that to other people and I’ve never tried to control anyone in my life.

I’m a free agent, never a subordinate. I wanna get an internship BAD.

Get my foot in the door, dweezil’s advice sounds like the best.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:

I’m gonna apply for some jobs. I have a problem with people taking down to me, I don’t do that to other people and I’ve never tried to control anyone in my life.

Get my foot in the door, dweezil’s advice sounds like the best. [/quote]

you are delusional

your attitude is one big “looking down on people”

and now you seem stupid too

I also think you will always be subordinate because you can’t even decide on your own what skills you should learn. Not exactly a pathfinder leading the way there fella.

[quote]Guerrero wrote:

Get my foot in the door, dweezil’s advice sounds like the best. [/quote]

The fields where you are most likely to be treated like shit at the entry-level are probably the fields you’re interested in (finance, black letter law, consulting). Forget starting clubs, show direction. A bunch of scattered EC’s are worthless, stick to specific subjects. Find your signature issue. Leading a club related to ethnicity is a big deal now (if you’re a typical WASP that won’t work out, though), as are clubs relating to political ideals.

Become the treasurer of the student government. Go talk to your career development office on a constant basis. Join Toastmasters. Try and find work at a bank part-time in a sales position working on commission during the year if you can fit it in. Go through alumni databases and get in contact with companies now. Use google to find recruiter e-mails, even for companies that don’t list internships and send out some feelers in a field you care about. It’s ridiculously easy to find government internships at the state level, and while you don’t want it to be your signature internship (junior year) you should be able to get a position like that at other times.

You should have been planning for this bullshit in your first year. If you want to be a big boy and you weren’t smart enough to get into target schools you have to do the work.