T Nation

Developing a New (Oly) Workout Program

OK, here’s the score. I’ve been a non-competitive bodybuilder for the last 2-3 years, never competed, no desire to, but stayed fairly lean. I’m now really interested in doing Olympic lifting. My current program is as follows…

Monday
Squats (Progressive Movement Training) 2 x 20
Snatches 3 x 5
Bench Press 3 x 5
Machine Hyper extentions 2 x 12
Crunches 3 x 20

Wednesday
Squats (PMT) 2 x 20
Clean & Press 3 x 5
Incline Bench Press
JS Row 3 x 5
Chin Up’s 3 x 8 (bodyweight)
Dips 3 x 8 (bodyweight

Friday
The same as monday’s compound movenets
Barbell curl superset french curl / skull crusher 3 x 8

-----Now, I’ve spent a good time online trying to find a decent oly lifting program, but can’t seem to find anything. Can somebody pleeeease work with me to develop one. I’m aware that things like bench pressing, barbell curls & tricep kick backs aren’t going to help me much. I usually deadlift, but the squats i’m doing are hammering the cr@p out of my lower back. Any ideas?

I’m more than happy to start doing overhead squats, clean & jerks & other such exercises

Find a coach…

no I am not joking. Thats the fastest way to learn. IF you are in the USA, go to USAweightlifting.org, find a club near you and call/email the coach there. They will be more than happy to help you.

Plus getting coached once week will help you more than any e-Forum, videos, or books.

other than that… ur not doing any barwork ei: drop snatches, pulls, jerks, push press, etc… Nor are u doing Front squats and Romanian Deadlifts. I suggest throw them in.

btw… what is “progressive movement training” and a “JS Row”???

progressive movement training is something Paul Anderson developed.

How it works, is you load up 10% over your 1RM on the bar. You set the safety pins 1 or 2 holes lower than shoulder height. You then proceed & do 2 sets 20 reps. You do this a few times a week, for 2 weeks.

Then in week 3, you lower the pins by a hole (note, each hole is usually 3-4 inches a part). Do the same as for the first 2 weeks, but only with smaller reps. Eventually your squatting the whole ROM & you’ve made a PR.

A JS Row is pretty much a bent over row.

I’ve emailed a coach who lives in my city. I’m juz waiting for him to get back to me. I’m really not sure how to structure a program & looking forward to workign with somebody!

[quote]TheOlympian wrote:
progressive movement training is something Paul Anderson developed.

How it works, is you load up 10% over your 1RM on the bar. You set the safety pins 1 or 2 holes lower than shoulder height. You then proceed & do 2 sets 20 reps. You do this a few times a week, for 2 weeks.

Then in week 3, you lower the pins by a hole (note, each hole is usually 3-4 inches a part). Do the same as for the first 2 weeks, but only with smaller reps. Eventually your squatting the whole ROM & you’ve made a PR.

A JS Row is pretty much a bent over row.

I’ve emailed a coach who lives in my city. I’m juz waiting for him to get back to me. I’m really not sure how to structure a program & looking forward to workign with somebody! [/quote]Just about every workout should be focused on four things:

1. The actual training lift. The competition lift can be cominbed with varying starting heights from blocks or pull complexes.
  2. Pulls. Dead lifts don’t count.
  3. Front or back squat EVERY workout.
  4. Overhead. Jerk variations or drop snatches.

I have no clue wtf you are talking about with this bizarre squatting program. I can just about guarantee no one in this country does such a thing and calls it a squat program.

here’s a clip of the actual exercise

thanks for those 4 points!!!

looks interesting… I am putting it down in my repertoire. I might just use it in the future.

Dan john Big 21

http://danjohn.org/bp.pdf
(this whole book is solid gold btw)

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Dan john Big 21

http://danjohn.org/bp.pdf
(this whole book is solid gold btw)[/quote]

hey thanks for that! With the first part, with the military presses, front squats & power cleans, am I working at 80% of my 1RM, for all three sets? I assume so, since I haven’t been told otherwise.

Once again, big thanks!

Yes round about that: 80%/ 8RM.