Devastating Loss - How do I Maintain

My beloved friend, my dog of almost 14 years died on Monday. It was as expected as I could manage because he was so old.

I feel the wind taken out of me, the sunshine out of my days, the drive gone from my mind, no focus.

I did half of my normal workout today, but even that was difficult and barely clean at all.

What can I do to not lose too much of my development and strength while I am in mourning?
(Sorry for the downer - he was one of the most important pillars in my daily life.)

sucks, doesn’t it?
Sorry. It does get better though.
I’d rather lose people than animals.

Hey man,

So sorry about your loss. I’m actually going thru a similar thing as my dog, who I’ve also had for 14 years is gonna have to be put down soon to end the horrible amount of pain she’s in.
I think the best thing is just to take however much time you need to get over whatever you need to get over, your gains in the gym wont disappear, and perhaps a little bit of physical and mental rest will do some good. Not really much I can say,
hope you feel better bro.

Keep doing something, try to compartmentalise the sessions, maybe have smaller (but more focused) workouts. Lest ways, maybe try to consider your sessions practice, rather than workouts. That way you will have a slightly different goal that previous, and it will prepare you for that day when things seem better.

I know what you mean. i only looked after a little dog for a couple of months (rescued from a road), and my GF wouldn’t adhere to me wanting to keep him. i still think about him.

Stick with it.

1. Get drunk.
  2. Cry until you can’t cry anymore.
  3. Get up in the morning and get back to your life.
  4. Get a new puppy that needs you, depends on you and loves you.

#4 is not meant to replace the dog you’ve had for 14 years, but knowing that you have an animal depending on you will help fill part of the hole left by your buddy.

[quote]miniross wrote:
Keep doing something, try to compartmentalise the sessions, maybe have smaller (but more focused) workouts. Lest ways, maybe try to consider your sessions practice, rather than workouts. That way you will have a slightly different goal that previous, and it will prepare you for that day when things seem better.

I know what you mean. i only looked after a little dog for a couple of months (rescued from a road), and my GF wouldn’t adhere to me wanting to keep him. i still think about him.

Stick with it.[/quote]

And you got rid of the dog?

FMC, sorry about your loss.

I had to put my dog down last year, very tough. Things will get better, it just takes time.

Stay strong.

My wife and I are dog lovers. We lost a dog almost 2 years ago and will likely lose two more in the next 5 years.

Try to look at it this way:

Dogs lives are short. You provided your dog with the best care, a lot of love and companionship, you gave your dog a wonderful life. Your dog was happy and gave you the same in return. You gave your dog a good life and a happy life that it may not have had elsewhere. If nothing else, try to find happiness in that alone. You owe that to your dog. Don’t be one of those people that never have another pet because of your grief.

Your dog had a good life because of you. That is all you could do and it should help you knowing, that without you, that may not have happened.

It’ll get better. Trust me.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

1. Get drunk.
  2. Cry until you can’t cry anymore.
  3. Get up in the morning and get back to your life.
  4. Get a new puppy that needs you, depends on you and loves you.

#4 is not meant to replace the dog you’ve had for 14 years, but knowing that you have an animal depending on you will help fill part of the hole left by your buddy.[/quote]

Head down to the Humane Society and rescue a mutt.

It’s the worst thing in the world to lose a dog. You give those more love than 99.9% of the humans you meet in this world.

It hurts, but grief is normal. Give it a few weeks. Geeez I can get teary when I think of my old mate who died years ago now. He was a great fella. But he had a good life, and then it was over.

My boxer has just been diagnosed with cancer, so she’s on a death sentence too. She’s so beautiful. I cried like a babe when the vet told me (I was on my lunch break too!). I’ll miss her, but she’s still here now so we’re just going to give her the best life she can have, and when the time comes… well that’s life.