Detox Anyone??

Funny, my mom mentioned this the other day, although she said you eat/drink NOTHING at all except water for 3 days. I agree with Zap and can testify for that from first hand experience. A couple years ago I wanted to lose weight so I went about it the wrong way by basically starving myself. I had some acne that went away completely. My libido also went way down. Your endocrine system has no “fuel” to produce testosterone (which is related to acne). When I started eating again, they came back.

I’m not going to say that it has no benefits whatsoever, but it seems like some of the claims are exaggerated. If you eat right, you should have sufficient energy and shouldn’t be getting sick.

[quote]kevbo wrote:

I’m not going to say that it has no benefits whatsoever, but it seems like some of the claims are exaggerated. If you eat right, you should have sufficient energy and shouldn’t be getting sick.[/quote]

Exactly how I feel.

I’ll offer that giving up all dairy and wheat/grain products will make you feel like a million bucks and will reduce inflamation and allergies quite effectively.

Also, whole psyllium husks (no artificial sweeteners), shitloads of water will make you crap out what looks like alien pods or something.

I’ve always been interested in detoxifying but am not willing to experiment on myself.

I tell my clients (before I sit down with them to talk serious diet talk) and tell them to buy one bag each of frozen broccoli, cauliflower and spinach. I tell them to make all those veggies disappear in any way reasonable ie; I don’t care if they eat a bag on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, a little bit of each every day or anything else. That and two servings of sugar-free Metamucil each day with plenty of water. If they are not willing to try this, I will not talk about diet again.

Without fail, they report feeling better, less bloated more energetic etc.

I think becoming healthier is actually very easy. So easy, in fact that very few people will follow through.

So do you continue working out during the cleanse, or do you stay out of the gym? Do you have enough energy to lift weights? Would working out make the cleanse more effective, or shorten the amount of time you need to fast?
This is an interesting topic.

This is all a bunch of quackery fostered by pop pseudo practitioners frequented by people who are too eager to part with their money.

If anyone thinks that worms are a sign of poor diet or that you can shit out colon cancer, I’m starting my own line of miracle cure supplements that I’ll be happy to sell you at snakeoilcureallforwingnuts.com

It’s obvious that none of you have ever had a colonoscopy or routine screening for colon cancer. Just ask anyone over 50 about it. You cleanse your colon in a few hours. Everything inside is squeaky clean and there are absolutely NO worms. And I’ve got the pictures to prove it!!

I didn’t miss a day of working out, either. Well…maybe a few hours.

I went through the whole cleansing thing a couple years ago. The one process that I know showed some results was the liver cleanse with epsom salts and olive oil. Pooped out a barrage of green marbles the next morning, which are purportedly cholesterol deposits and gallstones. Seems like my liver must have gotten stronger from this, since now I can really handle my liquor like never before. :slight_smile:

Oh, and if you want to avoid the liquor shits, or any dirty poopage, probiotics are also quite effective. They seem to keep the stool well-formed and easy to pass. My theory on why they work so well for liquor shits, is that the yeast which make alcohol might also screw up our microflora. I’ve noticed similar problems after I had eated some food with a bit of mold on it. Yay for good bacteria.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
If anyone thinks that worms are a sign of poor diet or that you can shit out colon cancer, I’m starting my own line of miracle cure supplements that I’ll be happy to sell you at snakeoilcureallforwingnuts.com
[/quote]

I might agree with you if I hadn’t seen it first hand, along with dozens of others who have had other conditions cured.

Too bad.

Maybe that stuff actually has the worm eggs in it, and also just the right stuff to help them grow, and they are the ones eating away at the cancer, and any crap that’s stuck to the walls of the intestines.

Then they get harmlessly passed.

The company doesn’t want to tell people because it would hurt sales, even though it’s completely harmless.

Hey, it’s a theory.

OK, so I go to the Dr. Sebi web site, give it a gander since this topic is fairly interesting (not that I buy it… but still, kind of interesting to read about).

First off, this guy never went to school of any kind? Ever? And he finds a river to be his greatest source of learning, in addition to visiting with an herbalist in Mexico? Now, if all conventional medicine had failed me and I was told I had 6 months to live, I guess I would give this kind of thing a shot.

But otherwise? I would think the cure would be worse than the disease.

I am incredibly skeptical of the faith people sometimes place in “natural” or “herbal” remedies for the simple fact that you really have very little true information from which to make a decision or know how it will affect your body.

For instance, people will take milk thistle to cleanse their livers and report good results, but for all I know, it will just end up making me feel like crap because I have some allergy to it. Just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it cannot have ill effects.

I’m not talking about starving for 2 weeks.I’m talking about doing a detox for 2 weeks.
And no,my acne never came back and my skin stayed clear.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
What are you taking about?
In concentration camps they got sick,not healthier.
Most of them were not getting any food,no nutrients whatsoever,and they were working to death.
They weren’t taking a week or two off to rest,drink lots of fruit and vegetables juice,and clean out their systems.
There is a HUGE difference between starving yourself,and taking some time off to clenan out your system.
Zap Branigan wrote:
I am very skeptical of many of the claims made by the people that push the cleanse but I believe there could be some positive short term benefits, just not the level they claim.

When I hear about peoples allergies going away and their skin clearing up it seems like the body is shutting down unnecessary processes to conserve energy as it would do when starving.

The same stuff happened in concentration camps. Tumors disappeared because the body had no food to feed them. I don’t know if they would have come back when the body was properly nourished again.

I think the human body is built to handle the stress of famine but I don’t see it as a long term positive unless you had a lot of fat to lose.

The worms intrigue me. Somebody must have fished them out to determine what they are.

I didn’t claim they were healthier in the concentration camps.

Cancer tumors did shrink and disappear as did acne, allegergy symptoms etc.

When the body starves it shuts down many systems.

Seems to be the same thing happening when people go through a detox and a cleanse.

Once they go back to real food the acne and allergy symptoms reappear.

It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with toxins.[/quote]

The link doesn’t work

[quote]Kuz wrote:
OK, so I go to the Dr. Sebi web site, give it a gander since this topic is fairly interesting (not that I buy it… but still, kind of interesting to read about).

First off, this guy never went to school of any kind? Ever? And he finds a river to be his greatest source of learning, in addition to visiting with an herbalist in Mexico? Now, if all conventional medicine had failed me and I was told I had 6 months to live, I guess I would give this kind of thing a shot.

I am incredibly skeptical of the faith people sometimes place in “natural” or “herbal” remedies for the simple fact that you really have very little true information from which to make a decision or know how it will affect your body.

For instance, people will take milk thistle to cleanse their livers and report good results, but for all I know, it will just end up making me feel like crap because I have some allergy to it. Just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it cannot have ill effects.[/quote]

Can’t blame someone for being skeptical, but I appreciate your open-mindedness to at least checking it out.

Like I said dude…if I didn’t witness it first hand on multiple people (and saw some doctors reports and x-rays), I’d doubt it too.

Did you read about the court case?

I met this dude. He’s about 6’3", and I think maybe 75 now. He had a kid when he was 73. He walks and talks like a 20 year old…so spry and full of pep and energy.

If you ever met the dude, you’d have even more proof just from exposure…and his nurses too.

[quote]ProjectX wrote:
you gotta get to the point of basically urinating out of your butt for a few days to really wash it out. and i don’t think an enema would have the same effect as days of this.[/quote]

Well, I think I am doing that on whatever non-cleansing diet I am on. I don’t know what it is. I haven’t taken a movement in the past three days that hasn’t been liquid.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
I’m not talking about starving for 2 weeks.I’m talking about doing a detox for 2 weeks.
And no,my acne never came back and my skin stayed clear.

[/quote]

I understand what you are saying. I am pointing out that similar things are reported among starvation victims.

[quote]tpa wrote:
I’m starting my own line of miracle cure supplements that I’ll be happy to sell you at snakeoilcureallforwingnuts.com.

The link doesn’t work

[/quote]

Try this one:
flybynightindustries.com

Or if that doesn’t work:
laughingallthewaytothebank.org

I like to keep a move on when my colon is cleansing!

Unless you are kicking a herion habit or drinking PCB’s a normal person with a healty diet does not need to detox. That is just some new age crap created by hippies and people who think starving themselves for 2 weeks is spiritually enlightening.

If your pipes are clogged try 1/3 cup of psyllium (Metamucil) with 1 quart of water at night. Drink another quart of water upon waking. Walk 2-3 miles on the treadmill. Enjoy a relaxing cup of coffee. Crap your brains out. If that doesn’t clear your pipes call Roto-rooter.

Oh I agree with the notion that drugs prescribed by doctors have side effects as well, but at least there is a fairly high level of rigorous scrutiny, testing and standardization of the product that goes on. I really could not say the same for herbal supplements. I am certainly not a fan of more government regulation, but doesn’t ever concern anyone that these things are sold with little to no scrutiny outside of saying that standard caveat of not intended to cure, diagnose, etc. etc. any disease?

My point is that I would not blindly accept anything, but I have a higher degree of confidence in the testing and approach used for prescription drugs vs. natural herbs. It’s certainly not a perfect approach, but I just see it as a great deal more rigorous, structured and with more oversight.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
And just because it’s a drug thats given to you buy your doctor doesn’t mean it doesn’t cause any side effects or health problems.
Conventional medicine has failed lots of people,including me.

The point is they end up treating the symptoms and not curing the CAUSE.
I can name more drugs that have caused health problems and disease than any natural supplement.

Kuz wrote:

For instance, people will take milk thistle to cleanse their livers and report good results, but for all I know, it will just end up making me feel like crap because I have some allergy to it. Just because it’s natural doesn’t mean it cannot have ill effects.

[/quote]

I’ve read a couple of books on detoxing. Both by Sherry Rodgers. One was Detoxify or Die and the other was Tired or Toxic. They definitely made me think twice about what I was eating and how it might be affecting me. But, that’s about as far as it got. I just thought about it. I have tried to do a one or two day juice fast to cleanse and have never really felt any results. Maybe I need to try it for a longer period of time.

The books really lost me when they started talking about the chemicals in our carpets, plastics, wood, and everything else that is in your house. It seems that everything in this world is making us toxic and that we should move out to the middle of no where and live in a mud hut. Atleast that’s the impression that I got.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Oh I agree with the notion that drugs prescribed by doctors have side effects as well, but at least there is a fairly high level of rigorous scrutiny, testing and standardization of the product that goes on. I really could not say the same for herbal supplements. I am certainly not a fan of more government regulation, but doesn’t ever concern anyone that these things are sold with little to no scrutiny outside of saying that standard caveat of not intended to cure, diagnose, etc. etc. any disease?

My point is that I would not blindly accept anything, but I have a higher degree of confidence in the testing and approach used for prescription drugs vs. natural herbs. It’s certainly not a perfect approach, but I just see it as a great deal more rigorous, structured and with more oversight.
[/quote]

The problem with many pharmacuetical grade drugs is that they are so fucking strong that their side effects are often very strong. I only believe in taking them only when absolutely needed. I have banged myself around pretty good over the years and have had many painkillers prescribed. I have never taken more than a few and I always end up throwing away an almost full bottle.

When needed they are an absolute lifesaver. I have a buddy that has been HIV positive for ~ 10 years. He takes a huge fistfull of pink and blue drugs every morning and is still healthy as a horse. He would probably be dead without them.

Many herbal supplements are worthless and their side effects are non existent.

You can go longer without having to detox,when you have a healthier diet(and by healthy I don’t mean a bunch of portein bars and shakes),but I still believe it’s essential.
We get so many toxins in our system just by the air we breathe.
Did you know your air condition can be just as bad as the air you breathe outside?
We spend 90% of our lives indoor.
That alone is a lot of toxins that is entering our systems.

[quote]ConanSpeaks wrote:
Unless you are kicking a herion habit or drinking PCB’s a normal person with a healty diet does not need to detox. That is just some new age crap created by hippies and people who think starving themselves for 2 weeks is spiritually enlightening.

If your pipes are clogged try 1/3 cup of psyllium (Metamucil) with 1 quart of water at night. Drink another quart of water upon waking. Walk 2-3 miles on the treadmill. Enjoy a relaxing cup of coffee. Crap your brains out. If that doesn’t clear your pipes call Roto-rooter.[/quote]