T Nation

Determining 1 Rep Max?

What is the safest way for a beginner to determine his 1 rep max? Thanks.

Chris

There are several calculators on the web - google “one rep max”

-Dave

[quote]iluminatae wrote:
There are several calculators on the web - google “one rep max”

-Dave[/quote]

I found one. Thanks Dave.

Chris

the best way is to work up to a 1 rep max. that is your max until you lift more.

[quote]Major Dan wrote:
the best way is to work up to a 1 rep max. that is your max until you lift more.[/quote]

Hmmm…for an experienced person that may be so. He did ask what is a safe way for a beginner…and to have a beginner doing max attempts to start with is probably a bit dangerous no?

-Dave

If you want to try to figure it out I would do the max lifts with a good spotter, makes it safer and secure.

Personally, I am against having anybody calculate a max from a rep max. Although the calculation may be close if he is going to train at a percentage of that max then if the calculation was too far off then his training % would be off. At this point if you are a true beginner anything will make your max go up. So for the next several weeks or so I would just do reps and slowly get heavier as the weeks pass and eventually get to your max. Remember this is a pretty generic plan because I do not know you at all and never seen you train or your form. And you MUST MUST MUST have a good spotter before you attempt a max. If they are wearing gloves find somebody else. My personal opinion.

Sorry Riminator, I made that response not knowing your true situation. So in the event you have to find your max right now find a good spotter and PROVIDED your form is good work up to at least a three rep max. But of course I have to ask how old are you? I hope I am not telling this to a 14 year old.

Thanks for everyone’s responses.

Rim

ps I am 28 years old…

Then as long as this isn’t your first week training (and I doubt it is) and form is decent then get a good spotter go for the true 1 RM.