T Nation

Destroying Fat Workout Routine

Hi there, i read the article Destroying Fat and want to try it. I have some questions:

  1. It is done has superset like main chest + main back, rest, seconday chest + secondary back, rest?

what the hell is your question?

I think he is asking for clarification on the protocol from the article.

He’s from Portugal, so I’m guessing language barrier.

i am rom Portugal, sorry for my not so good english. I want to know if the chest\Back and quads\hams are done with supersets? And the Alactic work can be done after the heavy lifting workout?

What do you think of this plan?

Day 1: Heavy lifting chest/back alactic work

-Barbell Bench Press(4-6) + Dumbbell Incline bench Press(4-6)
-Chin-Ups(6-8) + One Arm Row(6-8)

Day 2: Lactate-inducing workout 1 20-30 minutes of

steady-state (15-20) aerobic work

A:
Feet Elevated Pushups
Stepups
Chinups
Good Mornings
Crunches

B:
Incline DB Rows
Squats
Pushups
Sumo DB Swing
Lying Leg Raises

C:
Standing EZ Curls
EZ Curl Bar Skullcrushers
Standing Calve Raises
DB Lateral Raises
Lying Garhammer Raises

Day 3: OFF

Day 4: Heavy lifting quads/hams

-Barbell Squat(4-6) DB stiff leg deadlifts(6-8)
-Good Mornings(4-6) Lunges(6-8)

Day 5: OFF

Day 6: Lactate-inducing workout 2 (15-20) 20-30 minutes of steady-state

aerobic work

A:
Feet Elevated Pushups
Stepups
Chinups
Good Mornings
Crunches

B:
Incline DB Rows
Squats
Pushups
Sumo DB Swing
Lying Leg Raises

C:
Standing EZ Curls
EZ Curl Bar Skullcrushers
Standing Calve Raises
DB Lateral Raises
Lying Garhammer Raises

Day 7: OFF

It is main chest + secondary chest, rest, main back + secondary back, rest.

A1. Main Chest
A2. Secondary Chest
2 min. rest
B1. Main Back
B2. Secondary Back
2 min. rest

Then repeat sequence for 5-6 circuits.

ahhhh, thanks, i was a bit confused. The alatic workout can be done right after strength workout?

[quote]fncj wrote:
It is main chest + secondary chest, rest, main back + secondary back, rest.

A1. Main Chest
A2. Secondary Chest
2 min. rest
B1. Main Back
B2. Secondary Back
2 min. rest

Then repeat sequence for 5-6 circuits.[/quote]

[quote]Fgroia wrote:
What do you think of this plan?

Day 1: Heavy lifting chest/back alactic work

-Barbell Bench Press(4-6) + Dumbbell Incline bench Press(4-6)
-Chin-Ups(6-8) + One Arm Row(6-8)

Day 2: Lactate-inducing workout 1 20-30 minutes of

steady-state (15-20) aerobic work

A:
Feet Elevated Pushups
Stepups
Chinups
Good Mornings
Crunches

B:
Incline DB Rows
Squats
Pushups
Sumo DB Swing
Lying Leg Raises

C:
Standing EZ Curls
EZ Curl Bar Skullcrushers
Standing Calve Raises
DB Lateral Raises
Lying Garhammer Raises

Day 3: OFF

Day 4: Heavy lifting quads/hams

-Barbell Squat(4-6) DB stiff leg deadlifts(6-8)
-Good Mornings(4-6) Lunges(6-8)

Day 5: OFF

Day 6: Lactate-inducing workout 2 (15-20) 20-30 minutes of steady-state

aerobic work

A:
Feet Elevated Pushups
Stepups
Chinups
Good Mornings
Crunches

B:
Incline DB Rows
Squats
Pushups
Sumo DB Swing
Lying Leg Raises

C:
Standing EZ Curls
EZ Curl Bar Skullcrushers
Standing Calve Raises
DB Lateral Raises
Lying Garhammer Raises

Day 7: OFF[/quote]

This is a good start. However, your reps are off for the Chest/Back workout, and the exercise selection for Quad/Hams workout is mixed up, and minor re-ordering of the lactate-inducing circuits is needed. As for the alactic and aerobic work, they follow weight training. Here is how I would change your plan:

Day 1: Heavy Lifting - Chest & Back
A1. BB Bench Press (4-6 reps)
A2. DB Incl. Bench Press (6-8 reps)

B1. Chin-Ups (4-6 reps)
B2. 1-Arm DB Row (6-8 reps)

Alactic Work

Day 2: Lactate-Inducing Workout 1
Circuit A (12-15 reps)
A1. Feet Elevated Pushups (Horizontal Pushing)
A2. Step Ups (Quads-dominate)
A3. Bent-Over BB Row (Horizontal Pulling)
A4. Good Mornings (Hamstring-dominate)
A5. Crunch (Abdominal)

Circuit B (15-20 reps)
B1. Standing DB Military Press or Push-Press(Vertical Push)
B2. DB Squat (Quads-dominate)
B3. Lat Pulldown or (Band Assisted) Pull-Up (Vertical Pull)
B4. Stiff-Leg Deadlift (Hamstring-dominate)
B5. Lying Leg Raise (Abdominal)

Circuit C (15-20 reps)
C1. Standing DB Curl (Biceps)
C2. Standing Calf Raise (Calves)
C3. EZ Bar Skull Crushers (Triceps)
C4. Garhammer Raises (Abdominal)
C5. DB Lateral Raise (Shoulder Isolation)

Steady-State Aerobic Work: 20-30 minutes

Day 3: OFF

Day 4: Heavy Lifting - Quads & Hamstrings
A1. BB Back Squat (4-6 reps)
A2. DB Lunges (6-8 reps)

B1. Romanian Deadlift (4-6 reps)
B2. Plate Drags (6-8 reps)

Day 5: OFF

Day 6: Lactate-Inducing Workout 2
Same as Day 2. Though it is better to create new circuits:

Circuit A (12-15 reps)
A1. Incl. BB Bench Press (Horizontal Pushing)
A2. BB Reverse Lunge (Quads-dominate)
A3. Horizonal Pullups or Cable Row (Horizontal Pulling)
A4. DB Stiff-Leg Deadlift (Hamstring-dominate)
A5. Rowing Crunch (Abdominal)

Circuit B (15-20 reps)
B1. Standing BB Military Press or Push-Press(Vertical Push)
B2. BB Squat (Quads-dominate)
B3. (Band Assisted) Chin Up (neutral grip or palms in)(Vertical Pull)
B4. DB Romanian Deadlift (Hamstring-dominate)
B5. Cross-Over Crunch (Abdominal)

Circuit C (15-20 reps)
C1. Standing EZ Bar Curl (Biceps)
C2. Seated Calf Raise (Calves)
C3. Overhead Triceps Extension (Triceps)
C4. Cruch (Abdominal)
C5. DB Front Raises or DB Posterior Delt Raise (Shoulder Isolation)

Steady-State Aerobic Work: 20-30 minutes

Day 7: OFF

My exercise suggestions were based of yours, and the assumption you lack machines for leg extensions and leg curls.

I suggested plate drags as a secondary hamstring exercise on lower body day, and for those you can look at these two articles:
Short Topic: Plate Drags by The Editors

The Painful Seven: The 7 Best “Regular” Hamstring Exercises by Christian Thibaudeau

Plate drags are a good secondary exercise, but remember to stand up right after performing them. Don’t say on the floor during the rest period. You can also replace them with something like a single leg, stiff-leg deadlift.

I hope this helped.

thanks for the tips, it will help a lot, i workout in a gym and have machines for leg extension, leg curls, leg press, abdutor\aductors. If you could help me change some exercises regarding the machines i mentioned above i would apreciate a lot. Another thing, i am unfamiliar with some exercises do you know ehere can i find pictures or videos on how to doing them?

And i have a few questions:

  1. for example i must do 5 supersets of chest then rest, then move to the back right?
  2. i rest 2 minutes after each superset?
  3. about the Lactate-Inducing Workout, i must do circuit A, rest then move to the next one or i only rest after the three circuits?
  4. i workout in the gym an use a trendmill machine for running, so doing Alactic Work is tricky, can i sprint for about 500 meters or 3\4 minutes instead of intervals?

Sorry for the trouble, thanks again.

[quote]Fgroia wrote:
thanks for the tips, it will help a lot, i workout in a gym and have machines for leg extension, leg curls, leg press, abdutor\aductors. If you could help me change some exercises regarding the machines i mentioned above i would apreciate a lot. Another thing, i am unfamiliar with some exercises do you know ehere can i find pictures or videos on how to doing them?

And i have a few questions:

  1. for example i must do 5 supersets of chest then rest, then move to the back right?
  2. i rest 2 minutes after each superset?
  3. about the Lactate-Inducing Workout, i must do circuit A, rest then move to the next one or i only rest after the three circuits?
  4. i workout in the gym an use a trendmill machine for running, so doing Alactic Work is tricky, can i sprint for about 500 meters or 3\4 minutes instead of intervals?

Sorry for the trouble, thanks again.[/quote]

Leg extensions are quad-dominate, and leg curls are hamstring-dominate, so they can take the place of any of those exercises in the lactate inducting circuits. Or they can be done as secondary exercises on the heavy lifting leg day. You just have to arrange the order of exercises so they flow together.

You can do a search for most exercises you are unfamiliar with.

  1. Do the chest superset, rest 2 minutes, do the back superset, rest 2 minutes. That is one circuit. You are alternating between the chest and back supersets until 5 or 6 circuits are completed.

  2. Yes. Rest two minutes after each superset.

  3. Do Circuit A three times with no rest between the exercises. Then rest 1-2 minutes before doing Circuit B.

  4. In my opinion you cannot truly sprint on a treadmill, you’re just keeping up with the machine to avoid being thrown off. If using a machine choose one where you are the prime-mover, meaning you are the one supplying energy to move its parts. This way you can exert the proper force so the session will be more alactic instead of aerobic. A bike or a rowing machine is preferable to a treadmill. If you can go outside and sprint between two markers, that is best.

thank you very much, i will begin this training next Monday!

[quote]fncj wrote:

[quote]Fgroia wrote:
thanks for the tips, it will help a lot, i workout in a gym and have machines for leg extension, leg curls, leg press, abdutor\aductors. If you could help me change some exercises regarding the machines i mentioned above i would apreciate a lot. Another thing, i am unfamiliar with some exercises do you know ehere can i find pictures or videos on how to doing them?

And i have a few questions:

  1. for example i must do 5 supersets of chest then rest, then move to the back right?
  2. i rest 2 minutes after each superset?
  3. about the Lactate-Inducing Workout, i must do circuit A, rest then move to the next one or i only rest after the three circuits?
  4. i workout in the gym an use a trendmill machine for running, so doing Alactic Work is tricky, can i sprint for about 500 meters or 3\4 minutes instead of intervals?

Sorry for the trouble, thanks again.[/quote]

Leg extensions are quad-dominate, and leg curls are hamstring-dominate, so they can take the place of any of those exercises in the lactate inducting circuits. Or they can be done as secondary exercises on the heavy lifting leg day. You just have to arrange the order of exercises so they flow together.

You can do a search for most exercises you are unfamiliar with.

  1. Do the chest superset, rest 2 minutes, do the back superset, rest 2 minutes. That is one circuit. You are alternating between the chest and back supersets until 5 or 6 circuits are completed.

  2. Yes. Rest two minutes after each superset.

  3. Do Circuit A three times with no rest between the exercises. Then rest 1-2 minutes before doing Circuit B.

  4. In my opinion you cannot truly sprint on a treadmill, you’re just keeping up with the machine to avoid being thrown off. If using a machine choose one where you are the prime-mover, meaning you are the one supplying energy to move its parts. This way you can exert the proper force so the session will be more alactic instead of aerobic. A bike or a rowing machine is preferable to a treadmill. If you can go outside and sprint between two markers, that is best.[/quote]

Just a heads up. Another option for the main exercises is to split up the main and secondary movements. This is how I performed the program and feel it will produce better results.
You perform the main Chest and main Back exercises as a superset
Then you perform the secondary Chest and secondary Back as a superset.

CT explains on the 2nd page of the Article’s Forum. Take a read thru the forum if you haven’t already. Destroying Fat is a great program.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_article/destroying_fat_war_room_strategies_to_maximize_fat_loss_1?id=1499303&pageNo=1