Destrength Has Awful Priority Management (road to 405 pound jerk)

It must be my roguish good looks then. Either that or her eyesight isn’t great.

1 Like

Week 2 day 1

Snatches
highlights: 175X3 (thought it was 185), 195X1

high block snatches
115X3 for 3 sets

clean and jerks
135X1
165X1
185X1
205X1
215X1
225X1
205X1
215X1
225X1

squats
365X3
365X3
365X2
365X2
365X2

wrist prehab stuff

overhead lateral raises
15’sX15 for 3 sets
15’sX10

Still pulling early with arms on snatches, which is really really annoying. I am going to try to drill high hang stuff/stuff from high boxes to work on not pulling with arms and getting underneath the bar.

@markko: Some girls like guys for personality too… Kidding.

2 Likes

Clean and jerk up to 268 (wew 3 pound PR) then back off sets

snatches
132X2
143X2
154X2
165X2
154X4
165X2

front squats
280X2 for 5 sets superseted with ring pull ups

kettle bell curls/overhead tricep extensions
with 25 pound kettlebell

2 Likes

2/9/17

Worked with coach today on form. Snatched, then clean and jerked, then squatted, don’t remember the weights on any of these.

Proceeded to do:

ring dips
bwX5
bwX4
bwX3
bwX2

no leg rope climbing
3 sets

back raises
100X10
100X6
100X5

That’s about it. Worked on my arms early pulling in the snatch and clean and jerk, and getting on my heels during my second pull. Work was light, even for squats. Heading there again Saturday morning for a max out day. Also hook gripped for the first time. What the shit do people complain about? I can hold a hook grip for days.

1 Like

Bastard. I think thumb and finger length is a fairly major factor, and whether you get shown how to do it properly as opposed to figuring it out over time. Once I figured out NOT to squeeze when hook gripping and just sit my fingers over my thumb and trust that they’ll stay there like I do with straps it was fine. Plus, if your fingers are shorter I think you end up having to squeeze, which is what hurts.

3 Likes

I have very long fingers. Freakishly long even. Have you tried medical tape/bandage? It makes the hook grip feel so much more secure.

2 Likes

2/11/17

Heavy day

Worked up to 206 on snatches and made it. Got close to 217 but couldn’t get it. Clean and jerked 236, but couldn’t get 247. Was working in with another weightlifter so I don’t remember my jumps.

Pause squats
365x2
365x1 for 4 sets

Then did push ups and pull ups. Back was tired so I was going more for starting power and speed in the squats than anything.

1 Like

Yeah, after lifting today without tape I have realized I have another thing going for me: hook grip is naturally comfortable for me. It’s 100% pain free.

Short femurs, average arms, thick joints, long fingers.

2 Likes

Lucky bastard.

I started using the hook grip for deadlift because I don’t like the mixed grip and the way my body gets out of position with it.

Some days it’s not that bad. Some days my thumb feels like it’s going to fall off.

1 Like

Dunno, I prefer mix grip over hook/double over/straps. I feel like it gives me a more natural position (maybe to do with the fact my spine isn’t straight).

1 Like

It seems I have a hernia. It isn’t painful, or even noticeable aside from the fact that the right side is bigger/stiffer than the left side. Not sure what’s up with that, or how long I’ve had this. I’ll probably schedule an appointment with my GP if it doesn’t go away by tomorrow (just to make sure it isn’t anything serious).

Pretty weird stuff. Supposedly painless hernias are fairly common in men, dunno. I just want to make sure it’s not a lymph node instead of a hernia, because it’s exactly where the lymph node is supposed to be…

On the bright side, working with that coach again later today, and he (should) have some programming ready for me to follow five times a week. I hope it has a lot of hang work, hang lifts are really fun.

1 Like

My spine ain’t straight either! In fact, at this point it feels like my thoracic spine is twisted to the left…

I don’t know; the under-grip (right hand) feels like it causes my entire body to shift right somehow.

Though, now that I think about it, it could very well be that my body is just getting into a better postural position when I go to using the under-grip… I’ve honestly never considered this possibility until I read your post.

1 Like

Had a horrifyingly rough training week. Found out that when the coach meant sets of five on the olympic lifts, he meant do a rep, step back catch your breath, clear your head, then walk back up and do another rep. Basically just five singles with short rest in between instead of an actual set.

Erectors and stuff are really sore right now. Yesterday I did:
Snatches
105X5
125X5
145X5
155X5
155X5
Snatch balances
105X5
125X5
145X5
155X5
155X5

Collapse on platform for awhile because my abs and back were cramping from all of the volume/density.

power cleans
120X5
145X5
165X5
185X5
185X5

overhead squats
115X5
135X5
155X5
170X5
170X5

ring dips
bwX7
bwX7
bwX7
bwX7

pull ups
a bunch, just got good volume in to balance out my dips

2 Likes

I wanted to make a crossfit joke by I’d feel kinda mean if I did.

1 Like

Nah, it’s fine, tell the joke.

Nah, I was just gonna say…
“Olympic lifts for reps? What is this, crossfit?”

4 Likes

I know, it’s awful. A set of three on snatches feels like cardio.

2 Likes

Scoliosis crew represent. Do people ever try to line you up on the barbell when you squat? Someone commented I was off center, and straightened me on the bar. I don’t think I even tried to walk it out, it felt scarily off center.

It’s also ridiculous looking when the weight gets heavy and the bar gets uneven. The safeties have been hit plenty of times because of the bar being uneven on my shoulders,

1 Like

There was a guy who noticed that the bar position looked uneven, but he didn’t try to straighten me out.

I hate the bench press. I know I’m bent in some unnatural manner when I get into position, so I do a number of posture exercises that straighten me out a bit as a warm-up for the bench now. All fine and good until I lie down on the bench and everything just feels incredibly weird/off. Feels like my body is touching the bench on all the wrong places and muscles are pulling themselves in strange ways.

I think form is getting better, but the weird sensation doesn’t go away.

Squat is worse- I’m pretty sure I’m in the right position now WHEN I feel sciatica-like sensations on my left leg as I squat. It’s… scary.

It sucks knowing that what feels normal is not right.

I can relate on set up on the bench being weird. Like each side feeling different, but I was always fairly good about getting a tight set up.

And the squats, I honestly don’t care. I realize it’s a power leak (probably why my squat and dead are so far behind my bench), but I have the torso strength to keep my back stable. And squatting and deadlifting aren’t my competition lifts anymore anyway, so as long as I am getting some good strength work in I don’t care.

2 Likes