Destrength Has Awful Priority Management (road to 405 pound jerk)

1/2/16

Jerk day

Warm up

Rack jerks
45Xa bunch
115X3
135X2
155X2
185X1
205X1
235X2
255X1
275X1

Front squats
295X6 for 6 sets

Klokov presses
95X5 for 5 sets

Good training session. Felt like the jerks at 235 were too heavy to do for good form, so I decided to practice hitting some maximum-ish weight and go run some complexes instead of straight rack jerks. 275 was a massive fighter to stabilize after getting under it, and I had no intentions on getting it back into the rack, so I just dropped it after stabilizing and called it quits.

Seems like a fun complex that is appropriate until I finish my squat program. Afterwards I can go back to hitting heavy weight out of the rack. My clean needs to catch up anyway.

1 Like

1/3/16

Clean day

Cleans
215X2 for 5 sets, was easy. Focusing on starting on knees back on the first pull, and pulling under during the third pull

neutral grip pull ups
bwX11
bwX9
bwX10
bwX5
bwX6
bwX5
bwX4

reverse curls
95X8
95X6
95X6

Surprisingly I have not started looking like crap because of doing oly lifting full time. Project not looking like a T-rex (aka doing assistance work) is working well.

3 Likes

1/4/16

Snatch heavy day

warm up then
hang snatches
145X2 for 5 sets worked on keeping the bar in, and pulling the bar up/myself down during the third pull instead of just squatting down really quickly.

Was busy this day, had a club meeting that I didn’t want to go to, and had to go research/build someting. Will do two session on 1/5/16, one classical lifts session and one strength/accessory work session. My lats are horrifically sore right now to the point that I can’t get an overhead position. Going to have to roll and stretch them a ton to be able to snatch.

1 Like

1/5/16

AM session:

snatch complex (hang high pull, muscle snatch, klokov, drop snatch, sotts, squat up from sotts)
95X1
115X1 for 5 sets

snatch balances
135X3 for either 4 or 5 sets, can’t remember

PM session
kroc rows
130X40 right side
150X15 left side, I really really did not want to try to do another 40 reps.

strict press
150X5 for 3 sets, starting low with this because I need to work on my pressing groove

front squats
295X2 for 6 sets

Getting stronger every day.

I think my back might be a little disproportionate. lol

3 Likes

We got about 8-10 inches of snow so I probably won’t be able to get to a gym with bumpers. It’s very annoying.

Jan 8

Heavy day, was shit. Just dog shit. Even fucked up my squats. Drove a fucking hour+ in the snow and ice to suck donkey dick on my lifts.

Summary: stay more upright on first pull, force strong arch. Do all cleans and snatches as paused lifts to tighten some fuck ups on first and second pull. Only bright side was jerks were absofuckinglutely awesome. Going to keep squat program running, probably was just fucked from deciding I wanted to miss a PR 5 fucking times on c&j.

1 Like

If only I had that problem. I’ve had to drill new holes to my belt because my waist got too small for it. Three times.
You know your waist is too small for your body when you are 6’3"(ish) and your waist is 28 inches, at this point it just looks weird.

Nice PR by the way, all those explosive lifts from the ground seem to do their job.

Thanks, it doesn’t exactly say good things about how my body composition is going though. lol Also damn, a 28 inch waist? I haven’t had a waist like that since I was like 150 pounds at 5’9". I am sure it helps give a nice V-taper look.

Oh well, mass moves mass and so on (you could check my thoughts on eating if you start feeling too fluffy, it doesn’t have a wasp waist guarantee but it might be helpful)

It sure does, if only that was my goal :smiley:
I like the blockier “strongman” look better, but I guess one can’t have it all.

1/11/16
Jerk day

Complex (clean deadlift, hang pull, 2 front squats, jerk)
145X1
185X1
205X1 for 5 sets

presses
155X5 for 3 sets

front squats
295X2 for 6 sets

peck deck
hundo pounds for 50 reps

1 Like

I found this particularly amusing since I’m 165lbs/5’9" currently and I’ve a 28 inch waist. Sadly I can’t say it helps much with my v taper since I don’t have one.

2 Likes

Hm… I am not sure what my actual waist size was. I was just guestimating because that was around when I no longer could fit into pants that size (because of my lower body in all honesty). I have never measured any parts of me which would be bad if I cared about my physique any further than “Do I look like a fat fuck?”. I look like a fat fuck right now because I store a lot of my fat in my face.

Clothing is a bitch in general when they aren’t t-shirts. All of my jeans have 34 inch waists, and are loose on the waist, but they fit on my legs like skinny jeans (which is nasty in my opinion) despite being relaxed/athletic fit. And I don’t really have anywhere left to go, the next size up I can’t find in my leg length (and is ridiculously loose on my waist). I think I am going to be forced to have all of my clothing tailored if I don’t want to look like a bum.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check it out. I scaled back calories a tiny bit, and I started going on walks. I am starting to weigh more than 94KG which is no bueno. Nothing major, but enough to slowly scale weight back down to 200 pounds.

Also have you tried strong man, or powerlifting? Both are really good for thickening up. Try running a deadlift specialization program or two (not back to back of course lol) while at a calorie surplus. Coan/phillipi gave me some really nice back gains when I did it.

1 Like

This is, in my opinion the best way to lose weight if you are not in a hurry.

I’d love to, but none of the gyms around here have proper equipment.
I do use farmers walks regularly but that’s about it.

I did some powerlifting programs, but it was like three years ago. Might give it another shot sometime in the future, thanks for the idea!
(Although my current routine does place a huge emphasis on strength it is not necessarily a powerlifting routine)

1/13/17

Clean day

Didn’t train yesterday because sick, still sick today too, but…

Paused at knees cleans
220X1 for 5 sets, had a miss on the second set I had a weird thing happen during my third pull

front squats
330X4 for 4 sets, best squatting that I’ve had in awhile.

Then I proceeded to collapse in a ball of death because I used up all of the energy that I could muster, and my raw throat decided to start hurting again.

I’ll do the snatch workout I was supposed to do today during tomorrow morning.

1 Like

1/15/16

Went to a different gym so I can lift a few times a week with a coach.
Heavy day

AM session:

A bunch of kilo shit, don’t remember my exact numbers, but basically did 7 singles (mixed in pull+snatch combos to work on positioning) at 155-ish for my snatch along with a ton of doubles at 135-ish, and a bunch of singles, and doubles at 225-ish pounds for clean and jerk. I was feeling the missed days and sickness really affecting me so I just did technique work. My set up for my cleans are really really good and I am pulling under now, but my arms are pulling early big time which is fucking me over. Same deal with snatch, arms and not extending fully.

Also 225-ish feels really easy to clean now, which is a plus. I feel like I am due for a big PR once I fix my arm bending. Until then, I am just going to keep working on cleaning up my form at weights I can already make, and do my volume work on the harder to mess up exercises (paused and partial lifts).

Their weightlifting coach got my contact info so he should be calling me soon-ish, I will be training as many times a week as possible with him.

PM session: will be doing later and editing this post to add it.

1 Like

1/17/16

Jerk day

complex (1 clean pull, 1 clean, 2 front squat, 1 power jerk)
215X1 for 5 sets

front squats
345X3 for 3 sets

overhead press
160X5 for 3 sets

hammer curls
50’sX8
50’sX6
50’sX5

Getting stronker. I have a good feeling about those front squats, the first set of 3 felt super submaximal like I had another three left in the tank.

1 Like

I got what I wanted out of the squat cycle, but now I am hurt, stiff, and tired. Taking the week off from training to recover, and heal. It’s going to be a busy week anyway, I have some important people to meet tomorrow, exams, and make sure everything is squared away for the quarter.

Hit a 385 front squat with plenty left, I assume my squat is around 435-455.

I’ll probably do a little upper body work for fun, and some wrist rehab work. Should be 100% by next Monday.

1 Like

1/26/17

Day 1 of modified " 8 week rough" program

Played a 45 minute game of volleyball, got cleaned up/drank some water and rested/got my shoes then…

warm up then

sotts press
45X5
55X4
65X3

snatches
45xa bunch
95X3
115X3
135X2
155X1
175X1 arms pulled early so called it here as a daily max
145X1
155X1
165X1 let bar get too far forward
145X1
155X1 early arm bend
165X1

clean and jerks
135X1
155X1
175X1
185X1
195X1
175X1
185X1
195X1

squats
365X2 for 5 sets

lateral raises to overhead
10’sX15 for 4 sets

wrist rehab work

Accidentally messed up and used a squat weight that I wasn’t supposed to use until week 3, and they were supposed to be for triples. I guess I am just going to do two triple sand three doubles next week then do the five triples.

I came back earlier than I intended, but I felt like I was moving well and felt good while playing volleyball, and I was getting restless.

Anyway I am set to hit a heavy single two times per week for each lift, so I think I’m going to just set a minimum weight to hit and if the weight felt good/the form was perfect I work up until it gets rough or if I mess up (like early arm bending). So far it seems to be 175 snatch, and 225 C&J, but I will be increasing the minimum weight over time until my the minimum weight is my old maxes+.

1 Like

1/28/17

day 3 week 1

General warm up

presses from clean (yes, an overhead press while sitting in a front squat, and yes it is as uncomfortable as it sounds)
45X5
45X4
45X3

clean and jerks
135X1
165X1
185X1
205X1
225X1
255X1 10 pound PR
265X1 felt like I had more aside from my catch position being a little iffy (need to work on that)
215X1
225X1
235X1 was supposed to do another set each at 215, 225, and 235 but I was pretty burnt out and my form was getting sloppy/inconsistent

snatches
155X2 for 5 sets, it was shit but got better as it went on. Jumped from 115 to 155 which was stupid, and I was fatigued.

front squats
275X3 for 5 sets

Going to do some arms and abs later.

3 Likes