Destrength Has Awful Priority Management (road to 405 pound jerk)

I’ll have to do that when I am not lifting at school.

11/28/16

Jerk emphasis workout week 2

Clean and jerks
210X3 (1 clean, 2 jerks) for 5 sets, focused on stepping forward with my dominant leg, felt good.

Didn’t have enough time in the session or later in the day so I did the strength work the next day.

11/29/16
Clean emphasis workout week 2

High hang cleans
180X3 for 4 sets

complex (1 clean pull, 3 high hang pulls, 1 power clean)
185X1 for 4 sets

push presses
180X3 for 6 sets working on strong leg drive in these as though I was trying to do a jerk

pause squats
325X5 for 5 set, felt very quick this time

Will do abs and biceps later.

11/30/16

Seem to have like a respiratory infection. Hurts to drink water, coughing, hard to breath/a little short of breath. Will focus on drinking lots of water, Might do that abs/bicep work today if I feel better.

edit:
Weighted leg raise
10X12 for 2 sets
10X9 for 2 sets

Going to start to do these again, and work up to 25 pounds

reverse curls
45X25 for 4 sets, 1 minute rest Ridiculous pump right where all of the pain has been. It feels good.

I am going to end up in the newspaper for winning that meet. They’ll be recording some lifts by me. I might do something like wrap and belt up for a comp style squat, or do some btn jerks depending on what they want. Probably just something to look cool.

It’ll be pretty cool ending up in a newspaper again. It will be the first time it was just about me though. :wink:

1 Like

Do upload a screen cap of said article haha! We wanna read it too.

2 Likes

I will have to do that!

EMOM snatches
135X1 every minute for 10 minutes (ended up being like 9:30 from my first to last of my 10 singles)

power position snatches
95X3 for 5 sets

overhead squat
145X2
145X2

dragon flags with hip off bench
bwX7
bwX4
bwX4

barbell overhead tricep extensions
65X8 for 8 sets, 30 second rest

Mobility wise I’ve found that I am lacking in t-spine mobility, and one of my calves (just one strangely enough) is tight. Fix those, and I should be golden.

Lots of things clicked on my snatch today, both during the emom work and snatches from the power position

Not really sure what’s up with my overhead squat, maybe it was that my shoulders were tired from all of the overhead work, or I was just tight and uncomfortable.

Heading to that gym again for my heavy work. Still have to find a coach, because that will be the biggest thing for getting my lifts better.

1 Like

Worst fucking training session imaginable. Couldn’t even jerk 210. Just left after that. Gonna get some rest and food. SAT today, had 3 hours of shitty sleep the nighr before.

2 Likes

Good luck on your SAT

2 Likes

Thanks, man. Pretty sure it went fine.

2 Likes

Didn’t even notice you started your new log man! Definitely in. You’re a strong ass motherfucker especially for 19.

1 Like

Thanks, mate, I try!

1 Like

12/6/16

Jerk day

Rack jerk
215X2 for 5 sets, experimented a little bit with my grip. I seem to be a lot more powerful with a closer grip, but I can’t get the bar into position overhead as easily. Means I need to work on my shoulder mobility and maybe that will be a viable way. Figuring out how to push my body underneath the bar.

push press
180X4 for 3 sets
180X3 didn’t fail, but my wrist was starting to hurt so I bailed

pause squat
335X5 for 5 sets, this was hell. I collapsed on the ground a couple times between sets. Definitely too aggressive of a weight for oly lifting.

Going to do some biceps later tonight.

1 Like

So basically for those who are wondering why I am handling such small weight: I have the strength, but I don’t have the form, mobility, or stability needed for Weightlifting, so I am starting at pretty submaximal weights and going up every week as my confidence, and everything else improves.

3 Likes

Weightlifting has always been fascinating for me. Thought many times about starting it. But man, for me it would be a bit too close to doing actual sports, so I’d rather watch someone else do it.

12/7/16

Clean day
High hang cleans
185X3 for 5 sets

Complex (clean pull+3high hang pulls+powerclean)
195X1 for 4 sets

curls
a bunch for a ton

dragon flags with hip off bench
bwX8
bwX5
bwX5

1 Like

12/8/16

Snatch workout

warmed up with the bar doing overhead squats, sotts presses, normally general warm up stuff and snatches from the power position and hang then

Snatches
95X3
115X2
135X2
160X2 for 3 sets

Didn’t have long enough to get in all of the work I wanted. Went to bed immediately when I got home so I didn’t finish it either. Will do it after school today (12/9/16), just some front squats, snatch balances, and upper body work. Wanted to do some pec stuff, but I have my heavy day tomorrow so I’ll just move it to tomorrow at the end.

Form wise I have gotten it to the point that I am finishing my pulls and getting under. I keep pulling early with my arms right before I get into the power position though, which is causing me a lot of pain and lost power force (because the biceps really aren’t meant for that).

Getting my sleep sorted out right now. Hopefully I can start averaging 10 hours again. I am going to try to get a few nights of 12+ hours this weekend, I definitely feel like I am in a sleep deficit right now.

3 Likes

You bastard. I remember the good old days when that happened. Now I’m over the moon if I get the occasional unbroken eight hours.

2 Likes

I know. It feels amazing getting it, but it’s awful when I don’t. I cut it at 6 hours today, didn’t want to oversleep.

1 Like

12/11/16

Heavy day

Got to that Barbell club. Was just me and the coach, so basically got 1 on 1 work.

Snatches
45Xa bunch
75X3 bunch
75X3 bunch
105X3 bunch
135X3 bunch
135X3 bunch
155X1, missed the second rep for some reason, just psyched myself out
155X2 easy
175X1 or was it 2?
195X0
195X0
185X1 smooth.

clean and jerks
135X1 of each
135X1 of each
165X1 of each
185X1 of each
205X1 of each
225X1 of each
235x0, lost the bar forward in the clean recovery
235X1 of each

squats
335X3
335X3
335X3
335X5

Going to do some upper body work tonight. Either going to do more btn snatch grip push presses, or some one arm push ups, then a bunch of pull ups.

Things that I learned about my form today: I get too amped up for my snatches and my cleans. I need to be completely calm when lifting, and lift the weight fluidly with no apprehension. Widened out my snatch grip which helped. Changed how I set up over the bar, I’ve been staying over the bar too long when I’ve been setting up.

Also I think that clean and jerk was the best I’ve done after snatching. My body is usually really tired after snatching, so it makes the cleans hard, then once it gets to that I have to jerk it my body doesn’t really have much left.

Going to try to snatch 185X2 and clean and jerk 240X1 next week.

3 Likes

12/12/16

Weighted dips
65X8 for 5 sets

seated rows
200X18
200X6
200X10

pull ups
bwX20 - did these to win a shirt, won the shirt.

Also I fell on my knee really bloody hard today. It’s painful to walk on. I’ll have to see how it heals up, and how the inflammation goes down, but there’s a 10/10 chance that I will be skipping my squats tomorrow, as lame as it is do so.

1 Like