Destrength Has Awful Priority Management (road to 405 pound jerk)

and here I was hoping your puppy drove himself/herself up.

2 Likes

I’ve heard variations of that joke a lot because he normally waits in the driver seat with AC/the engine on whenever I go into some place.

On an unrelated note, I kinda want to get to the point I could walk into any regional level powerlifting/strongman/crossfit comp without a prep period and have a shot of winning. GPP and all of that. And of course actually get to the national level in Weightlifting.

3 Likes

Dude I love that you just kill it on front squats, sometimes with high volume, week after week. Way to not be afraid (or be afraid, fuck it, I’m with you) of high rep FS for multiple sets. I wanna get 500 so bad but it’s like sometimes I’m so strong on fronts and some times I’m so weak.

2 Likes

Just have to keep grinding. It is honestly not that bad, the only thing unpleasant is that my front squat groove is fucked right now and I’m trying to fix it. Mixture of tightness, stance, and foot position that’s bothering me. I just found recently that my pinkie has been coming loose on cleans (lose the weight forward if I force it) all the time because my front rack has started to become sketchy.

And thanks, I am always trying to bust ass. I long for my cycle to end so I can finely let my body heal 100%. I am looking at like 3 weeks left of pulling strength work, a 3 or 4 week taper phase, then I can get a week off. After that I’ll probably spend a month just doing bodybuilding and conditioning stuff (snatches and clean and jerks like once a week), then a month doing really high volume squatting, pulling, and pressing, and complexes, then like two months of pulling and overhead work, and then another month long taper. Then I should be putting up the total I need for national meets (365 cj, 300 snatch give or take).

Front squats for me are also a bit annoying. My right ankle is super swollen all the time cause of the carrying events I’m doing, initially caused by my hips being all fucked up+a bone spur as well. Makes squatting just not feel right. I almost twist my body out of the hole, it’s fucked LOL

And yeah, a 300lb snatch is insane. Even if I had the strength I’d be too afraid to try to fling 300lbs over my head and catch it in an ATG squat. Fuck that! Think I might calm the fuck down myself after nationals and take some time to do more volume work and taper off from heavier training. Doubt it, but we’ll see.

2 Likes

Same except left ankle at the front. It’s probably related to the weird nerve issues I have down there.

9/17/17

Hang snatches
185X3 then two super inconsistent back off sets

pause snatch pulls
235X4
215X4
215X4

snatch deadlifts with pause at hips
255X3
235X3
235X3

calf stuff

9/18/17

My hubris ruined a good push press/jerk day. AKA I jumped to a weight that I shouldn’t have attempted until next week while making weight too big of a jump in weight and I missed it on the push press (probably transition between drive and press/let it get forward a little because I absolutely launched it), and I lost my confidence on jerks that day

pause front squats
305X2
305X2
305X2

GHR bench abs
25X8
25X5
25X5

wrist work

9/19/17

Hang cleans
275X3
260X3
245Xno. I lifted it and I just wasn’t there and had a crazy effort that day so I didn’t push my luck

pause at knee pulls
305X4
315X4
295X4
275X4

clean deadlift with pause at thighs
345X3
315X3
295X3

dragon flag with hips off bench
bwX8
bwX5
bwX4
bwX3

single leg calf presses (3 second pause at stretch, 3 second pause at contraction)
4pl8persideX8
4pl8persideX8
4pl8persideX5
3pl8persideX15

one arm hangs
bwX25seconds
bwX20seconds
bwX10seconds

Comments: my position in snatches is dick. Need to incorporate more pauses at the bottom of all of my snatches/possibly program in 10 second pause snatches after my taper is up. First pull on cleans are also kind of sketchy, might include clean lift offs after the taper too. Early arm bend is getting good (finally). Think I am hitting full extension too.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, my uni has weightlifting bars but keeps them in the separate gym that the powerlifting club/uni crossfit train in so mongoloids don’t ruin a fucking ZKC or pendlay by T-bar rowing, benching, or rack pulling with them. Going to start a Weightlifting club (try to steal some of the crossfitians that hopefully won’t need too much coaching) so that I can have some lifting partners/have access to better equipment. Will probably have to do some researching so I can actually fix other people’s issues that I haven’t personally experienced before.

3 Likes

Or… You can infiltrate them crossfitians.

Unfortunately it costs money, and I am pretty sure I have to sacrifice my first born to glassman.

1 Like

Don’t have any advice bout the money thing but I do have advice on the sacrifice your first born… Have more children, think of the first one as a guinea pig, problem solved.

You also have to do WODs, and we all know WODS=cardio=lost gainz. Can’t risk it, Ben.

On a side note I feel like I have a lot bigger work capacity now, but I can’t quite pin point why. Maybe last summer actually did something for my conditioning.

1 Like

So almost a year into everyday being leg day and putting no effort at all into my upper body, I was told that I look incredibly top heavy. I don’t know how this is possible. Maybe my calf game is that bad, dunno. All I know is that I probably should do some ridiculous hypertrophy work the next time I feel like I need to push my squat.

2 Likes

So today my left arm and leg has decided to go numb right before lifting, so I got to spend 30 minutes finding the campus medical facility to be told I am just dehydrated and visit the real doctor tomorrow morning.

1 Like

9/21/17

Still getting murdered by the heat, humidity, and walking. Apparently I picked up a cold from the place I went to make sure I wasn’t have a stroke/heart attack. Managed to get my shit together long enough today to lift.

BTN power jerks
45X3
95X3
145X3
195X3
245X2
265X2
285X1
305X2 10 pound PR from last week’s PR
275X2
275X2

pause back squats (beltless)
225X3
275X3
325X2
375X2
405X1
435X2
405X2
405X2

superset rope tricep push downs and face pulls
70X10, 13
70X8, 12
70X6, 11

45 degree hyper
bwX58
bwX42

Note: squats and jerks felt easier and moved faster than last week despite being heavier and me feeling like shit. Progress.

Deciding to include in my warm ups jerk grip snatch+overhead squat+sotts press+overhead squat repeated ad nauseam or until I am hitting positions I like.

2 Likes

hang snatch
195X3
175X3
175X3

pause at knees snatch pull
240X4
230X4
215X4

snatch deadlifts with pause at hips
265X3
245X3
245X3

calves

Second jerk day
rack power jerks
265X2
235X2
235X2

pause front squats
315X2
315X2
315X2

I got to the uni gym at 8:30PM, managed to get warmed up and that work in 30 minutes, that’s what I call density. Jerks didn’t feel that good on the back off sets, probably because of minimum rest. Just gotta build.

9/25/17
Snatches
205X2 1 rep+some change amount of pounds PR (did this on an echo which is probably the worst imaginable barbell, original PR was on a ZKC which is probably the best barbell short of an Eleiko)
185X2
185X2

Clean and jerks
135X(1+1)2
135X(1+1)2
185X1, at this point I realized the callus that I tore doing snatch pulls and had a tear of the skin underneath the tear during my snatch PR (tore it on the first rep for maximum weightlifting street cred obv) was not going to let me clean and jerk with proper form.

back extensions
115X20
105X15
105X15

Some half assed single leg calves, calves were still sore but was basically the only thing I could do with an unusable.

9/26/17
Recovering from having a torn hand. Hopefully I can lift tomorrow. I want that 285X2 hang clean tomorrow.

1 Like

9/27/17

Hang cleans up to
285X1 failed on second rep
265X0

I really need to fix my hip mobility/front squat/rack position, I dumped weights that I should’ve had because my body was contorted in odd ways. Two steps forward, one step back.

clean pulls
335X3
315X3
315X3

These are kinda pushing the limit on what is reasonable to call a fast pull (percentage wise it’s about right too). I am going for 345X3 next week, but those are going to probably be more slow pulls than fast pulls (what I call a pull in my log).

Clean deadlifts
355X2
335X2
315X2

Bounced because gym closed. Pulling strength and power is sky high, though I was far from being in good shape to show good performance (as could be shown). Going for 285X2 again next week and should be feeling better/have a more warmed up hips and upper back. I am going for 295X2 if 285X2 feels strong.

Also clean deadlifts are going along, going to do 375X2 next week which puts it close-ish to my front squat. Clean deadlifts are supposed to be at your squat number though, so I have to get my clean deadlift up to 500+ (more because my belted squat probably has grown a lot) until static positional strength is definitely not a limiter in my cleans.

Jerks were also lackluster, slow, and heavy yesterday (not even going to bother logging it, missed a pressed out btn 315 after 295 when I hit an easy 305x2 that wasn’t pressed out) . I am going to go ahead and do my deload. If 5/10 is that run down feeling when you get a cold/start to get overtrained, I am a 3/10. Strength and explosiveness has dropped off, a good deload should let me get a good rebound.

On the plus side I am fairly certain I got a 100% on my math midterm.

2 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if god hates me.

Snatches
65x3
95x3
135x2
160x1
170x1
180x1

EMOM
135x1
135x1
135x1
135x1
135x1

clean and jerk
135x(1+1)2
135x(1+1)2
185x1+1
205x1+1
225x1+1
240x1+1

EMOM
185x1
185x1
185x1
185x1
185x1

Box jumps
Really fucking good performance supersetted with crushing my soul and tibia

Was doing sets of 3 with space to spare, then last set FIRST FUCKING REP my body decided my day could indeed get worse.

Hurt myself, but didn’t injure myself. Going to RICE to get the swelling down and clean out the wound. Thank god for lifting making your bones denser.

Aside from that, good session.

2 Likes

I tried these with the same weight after deadlifts last week and it felt like a deadlift until the last 6 inches. I dropped the weight for the sake of speed. The goal is power development but I guess worst case scenario it just ends up being a few extra sets of deads lol