Destrength Has Awful Priority Management (road to 405 pound jerk)

Brb rolling outer lower leg.

That’s so weird, hope that remains a permanent solution. Pretty fucking awesome.

2 Likes

It seems like a gradual process. Like I can’t full clean/snatch or squat heavy, but I can function like a normal human and I can do more than I could. I had a two hour exam earlier today so it tightened back up, but that was easier to get out off.

1 Like

Push press
215x3 for 9 sets
215x2

Rushed through the session like an idiot.

SLDL
245x8
245x5
245x1

SLDLs were out of groove (pain free mobility still not 100%), and light, but pain free.

Going to get a hundred or two band pull aparts done tonight after a very long and hot shower. Push press technique is improving. Adding 5 pounds next week instead of 10, missing two reps (well one miss from being horribly out of groove and another not attempted) doesn’t bode well with bigger jumps.

1 Like

Does it get noticeably worse with exertion and then rapidly improve when you stop?

1 Like

It gets worse with sitting mostly. Stopping doesn’t seem to have any real effect that I can tell.

1 Like

Woke up today to my knee being normal. Hips normal, back normal, knees normal.

Hopefully this marks the end of my lower body pain so I can get back to work on making gains.

Unfortunately my gym is hosting some crossfit comp (honestly didn’t know they had them aside from open/regionals/games). Tomorrow push presses, light clean complex or block snatches, and some tempo squats to ease my knee back in.

Going to focus on pushing weights on complexes/blocks that I can do with smooth natural technique while regaining my squat and gaining new land on my push presses.

2 Likes

Do you do dorsiflexion often? Weakness in front of the lower leg can lead to overcompensation in the back, I used to get lots of soleus and Achilles pain during long ruck marches in the military until I started doing lots of dorsiflexion as rehab and the pain went away within a month.

I have never. How do you do them? Do you just attach a band to the front of your foot or something?

1 Like

A band is a good way to do it.

Also you can sit with legs hanging off the edge of a bench and put a DB between your toes, like this:

Just like the rear delts being instrumental in supporting the shoulders during a bench, the muscles in your shin and the front of your ankle undergo heavy strain on most lower body exercises, especially Oly ones where knees can track over the toes more often. If there’s inadequate support from the front it can cause everything in the rear to work twice as hard. Give it a shot if you feel like it.

1 Like

5/22/18
Push press
190X6 for 6 sets technique getting better, felt easier than last week. Still need to get my shoulders more mobile, I have no idea why my overhead position is so trash for this, I can jerk and even overhead squat fine with this grip.

tempo squats (5s down, 5s pause, 5s up)
135X5 for 5 sets supersetted with banded dorsiflexion doing sets of 20

Knee is making progress. I feel it mostly/only in the gastroc now. I am going to roll my gastroc out very hard tomorrow and get some pulling in (either high pulls or some SLDLs depending on how my knee wants to cooperate) and a hypertrophy session in. Wednesday tempo squats again this time working up to like 185 or 225. I want to just keep pushing the weight I can do pain free, and since I can’t use any real weight (and it probably lessens the stress) I might as well do it as tempo work to get more time under tension. Once I can do 315 pain free I think I can start doing cleans and snatches.

2 Likes

To be honest, I might just do all of my squatting with specialty bars off a box for the summer time. Saves my knees, works my hips and core (I’ll probably just use SSB and super camber, probably with chains with the ssb), and keep myself mentally fresh.

3 Likes

Wide stance low bar (parallel) box squat
405x5 for 3 sets.

Fuck I forgot how fun this power stuff is. The whole head bursting tension and stuff. Also apparently my hammies and glutes and stuff have been developed from all of this pulling I guess, was a 90lbs PR over my previous best 3 sets of 5

Took 30 minutes to get water/coffee/carbs since I was intending on push pressing, but the muscles throughout my left leg wanted no part in it so I took the hint and did bro work instead of possibly ruining all of my recovery progress

Strict neutral and probated (alternated as I felt like it) Pull ups, curls, band pull aparts
Bwx5, 45x10, minix15 5 rounds plus bwx5 of pull ups in 10 minutes

Outrageous bicep pump

Banded dorsi flexion 4 sets of 20 per side with light band

Hip thrusts single leg
45x20 per leg 2 sets back to back

Stretched and rolled calves, quads, and hammies.

3 Likes

It seems like the box squat session helped my knee (very active recovery? haha). The back of my knee popped during the box squats (around 315 I think), and my patella tendon popped while I was stretching, so perhaps those were positive things because my knee seems healthier.

2 Likes

5/28/18

BTN push presses
225X1
230X1
235X1
240X1
245X1
250X1
255X1
260X1
265X0 didn’t even attempt it, my dip/drive transition felt weird so I ended up just not trying to do the drive. Very quick and easy up to here

Snatch SLDL
225X5 for 5 sets

hamstring curls
mini bandX25 for 4 sets
Weakness/trembling in my left leg (the one with the pain) especially at end range flexion.

Front lever practice did 4 sets, doing with knees bent slowing extending one leg then holding it. third and fourth set I tried doing that then extending the other leg

Knee still recovering.

2 Likes

SSB to parallel box with 1 set of thick chains and 2 sets of normal chains
235x3 for 3 sets
235x12 couldn’t breath

Prowler pushes
1 redx2 trips
2 redx1
3 redx1
4 redx1
4 red 1 bluex1
4 red 2 bluex1
4 red 3 bluex1

SSB was weird and spooky, didn’t push the weight since the bar is really weird and I probably didn’t set the bar in the monolith up right (it would roll in the rack so handles were straight down and I had to like push into it)

Probably do 5x5 with 275 next time with the same set up.

3 Likes

I think I will start including no contact no hands muscle snatches into my training soon (and after I am used to that then sotts presses). I still don’t think it’s a good idea to do anything that involves me absorbing force though.

I guess this is one way to have a forced GPP block, let’s hope it’s not permanent damage or surgery though. Still regaining strength and stability though. I will at least come back to the sport stronger than an ox in my whole back, hamstrings, hips, and upper body.

2 Likes

No hook no contact Muscle snatch
165x1
165x2
165x1 for 3 sets

Snatch press
165x1
165x2
165x3
165x2
165x1

Clean SLDL
315x3 for 5 sets

Bicep curls at 115 4 sets

4 sets of light band pull aparts, going to use two next time because I am stretching them too far to be safe now

Half moons 3 sets

1 Like

What? please explain I’m to lazy to google :slight_smile:

Basically russia twists except you touch the floor and you use a plate or bell instead of bar. Seems to be mostly a longevity thing with hip mobility and such.

1 Like

Thanks man it was the mooning part that sort of tricked me :slight_smile:

1 Like