Destrength Has Awful Priority Management (road to 405 pound jerk)

The way you looked at that bar when it landed. If eyes could kill.
Made my day.
Nice lifting by the way, wish I could do the same, it looks so easy.
SI joint and lower back, I had some of those issues my self.
This is just relaxing to do, for low back and the whole back I thing:

But the SI I think you need to google som exercises there are a ton out there.
I do one drill standing next to the wall feet close about a foot away.
The arm closest to the wall, stays close to side of body and bent atvthe elbow to 90 degree angle.
Leaning against the wall. With elbow as distance and kind of joint, you press your hip against the wall, 10 times each side, a couple of times, several times a day.
It’s a small move to loosen up the SI joint.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely try that stuff out. Staying healthy is the only thing that can keep me from my goals.

And thanks. I had already missed that weight once, so I was a little intense.

1 Like

Personally I never felt any physiological benefits from contrast showers. I enjoyed doing them just because they sucked and took mental fortitude to do, and after I felt so relaxed, but my muscles and bones/joints would hurt invariably.

Also, nowadays, if my body is so trashed that I’m looking for advice or some kind of fix that I am not aware of yet, that means I’m pushing too hard. Aches and pains come with it, but for ME, that’s usually a sign I am doing something wrong. Just my experience.

2 Likes

Definitely. I aggravated it doing stupid shit, and just my normal life style (and lifting to some extent) has kept it somewhat angry. I don’t want to pull back (just lifting smarter and recovering smarter) unless it seems like I’ll injure myself. It was that day I went full retard on block cleans, deadlifts, then heavy pressing and overhead salks.

I partly agree on the showers, though I do feel like it helps me pain wise (maybe placebo or maybe just more time under hotter water). I do like the mental fortitude and body control needed, I like being able to fight off my body’s natural response to start choking up and hyperventilating and just blocking all of that out. It doesn’t matter how strong you are if you’re mentally weak and timid.

You really should check some youtube guys for that SI joint release. It gets jammed somehow and there are several options to get these little joints moving again. So mobility drills it is, and it takes some special moves to get them going.

2/13/18
Russian style muscle snatch + sotts press
40kgX2+2+2 overhead squats
40kgX2+2
50kgX2+2
60kgX1+1
65kgX1+1
70kgX1+1
75kgX1+1 5 kg PR

snatches
70kgX1
70kgX2
75kgX1 for 15 minutes on the minute

front squats
335lbsX5
315lbsX5
295lbsX5

fat grip tricep extensions and fat grip barbell curls
95X10, 5
95X10, 3
95X10, 3
95X10, 3

Didn’t do any pressing (aside from the sotts press) or pulls/deadlifts or abs/back to let my shoulders/spine/core recover. Since as @strongmanvinny2 said, I probably needed to back off a tiny bit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfJ5dbBBIYf/?taken-by=hudsonskyler

3 Likes

2/14/18

Taking the day off from training to catch up on sleep and let my back heal. I just really need to rest. I’ll try some of that back and SI joint stuff after I wake up.

Also apparently Ilya Ilyin is making a come back. Kinda mixed feelings about that, I love his lifting but he’s probably going to get popped in 2020 (assuming the IWF doesn’t manage to catch him on something before then) and there will be an even lower chance the sport will be in 2024. But then again, he’s probably going to clean and jerk 255 at 105 or some ridiculously bullshit like that. It’ll be interesting to see how that goes.

1 Like

2/15/18

Power clean up to
265X1 (not sure if tied my old PR or if this is a PR)
225X2 for 2 sets

clean deadlift to knee with pause
up to 315X3

sotts clean press
95X3 for 4 sets

Back still angry. I am giving up on doing any deadlifting or pulling until my back has healed. Probably won’t program much work off the floor aside from technique work either. The goal of this cycle is to get better at front squatting and moderately improve my lifts. How can I do that while my back is angry?

1 Like

2/16/18
Hip snatch
185x1
195x0
Tied my old PR. Decent for not practicing them or any hangs for a long time.

Snatch balances
135x3
185x3
205x2
225x2
245x2
265x2 PR
275x1, just felt like hitting a heavy single to get a feel for it

1 second pause squat
335x10
355x10

Jump squats
95x5 for 3 sets

Muscle snatch from squat
95x1 for 3 sets

Seated calves

Back feels insecure, but not painful.

Next heavy snatch day I’ll work on just hitting moderately difficult doubles on whatever snatch variety I feel I need to work on that day. Considering doing no hand snatches at 185x2 for 4-5 sets.

I’ve been getting too many misses and ugly lifts since I’ve been feeling out movements I haven’t done for awhile. It’s a good time to build some consistency and confidence with heavy weights.

1 Like

How do you do that, strap the bar to the elbow :slight_smile:
I don’t know all the names for lifts, just sounded funny :slight_smile:
Btw nice log and some really strong lifts man.

1 Like

No hands means no hook grip (forces you to be more gentle with your extension and therefore more aggressive with the push under/gives a straighter bar path), no feet means without repositioning your feet (forces you to be precise or miss the lift), and no hip means you don’t make contact with your hips/thighs which mutes a lot of your hip extension and is used to straighten out bar path and forces you to use your upper body muscles more to get under faster.

They’re (and their mixtures) basically all corrective exercises to make your bar path straighter and smoother and for you to get under the bar quicker.

And thanks!

3 Likes

I think I will drop all cleans and jerks until my back heals and sub with snatches. Snatches don’t aggravate my back, and I am a mucj better clean and jerker than snatcher (supposed to snatch 40-50lbs more than I do to be even in the two lifts).

So… guess I’ll be snatching basically daily now.

I probably won’t lose anything on those two lifts doing this, and I’ll get better at what I suck at. I have been in the mood to snatch anyway.

1 Like

Muscle snatch from below the knee blocks and snatch press and overhead squats
155x2+2+2
165x1 missed second muscle snatch

Power snatch from below knee blocks
155x2
175x1 for 4 sets

Overhead squats
135x2
185x2
225x2
255x2
275x1
285x1
295x1

6 second pause at bottom and 14 second pause at top front squats
135x2
225x2
275x1
315x1
345x1
365x1, rocketed out of the hole. Stopped here because back an hips wanted no more.

Single leg box jumps
Bwx2 per side for 4 sets

4 inch sphere pull ups
Bwx3 for 7 sets

Good session, overhead getting brutally strong. Back still fucked, but it’s fine for what I’ll be doing

2 Likes

So good news, at the end of my lifting session todayI think I figured out the cause of my hip and back issues. I was rolling out my obliques and back and hips trying to figure out what was causing my obliques and back to seize up literally 24/7. Found out my left piriformis was fucking rock hard. I got it down to just a rubber band under my glute. Immediately after getting up and jiggling my hips a bit they started cracking and a lot of my mobility was regained.

4 Likes

Awesome.

Slow pull snatches on the minute
70kgx1
72kgx1
75kgx1
77kgx1
80kgx1
82kgx1
85kgx1
87kgx1
90kgx1 PR’d despite being fatigued and in pain
Rested a minute then
92kgx0, was out of position. Will definitely get it next time. Starting OTM next week at 2kg heavier

Snatch press
135lbsx5
140x5
145x5
150x5
155x5

Muscle snatch from squat
40kgx2 for 3 sets

100 reps of back extensions.

Back/hips weren’t feeling squats after all of that work from the floor.

Thanks man. I want to be healthy already. It’s frustrating as hell.

1 Like

Glad you found the issue man

1 Like

Back is recovering. Still not 100% though

https://instagram.com/p/BfekJZrBvZe/

3 Likes

Huh, apparently that video starts at rep 4. IG is a pain for longer videos

https://instagram.com/p/Bfen6zbBDKe/

Should be the whole set

1 Like