Destrength Has Awful Priority Management (road to 405 pound jerk)

Destrength is a fucking savage everybody. You’re as strong as I was when I was 19. Kind of funny, your lifts basically mirrored mine almost exactly. I hope you update this shit more often than the last log!

4 Likes

Thanks, those are some very high compliments! How old are you again? I always imagine people here being about 25-28 unless they specifically say their age.

Just turned 23 in november.

Oh, okay. I am still one of those “student” types, so I don’t particularly have any actual payments to pay in all honesty. I didn’t know about that three different account thing though, I’ll definitely start doing that after school.

Damn, we both have November birthdays. I’ll be hunting your lifts down.

You’re 23? I always thought you were closing in on your 30s. Damn, take that as a compliment. Can’t wait to see how much stronger you’ll be 5 years from now.

1 Like

The sooner you start the better. Even if you just chuck $20 into a dedicated savings account every payday you’d be surprised how quickly it adds up. Then when you’re done studying you’ll have a great start for saving for a deposit for a house.

I run it like this:

Checking account: my pay goes in here and my card is linked to it. I pay all my bills, rent, expenses, incidentals, toys, etc out of it.
Savings one: I put allocations for bills not yet due in here, direct debits for stuff, basically expenses I know I’ll incur before my next pay but not immediately (car service and similar). What works best is to schedule transfers from this to checking so they’re there to be debited just when the debit is due.
Savings two: house deposit, higher interest. Never gets touched except in emergencies.

This way, you almost never have to think whether you can spend money out of your checking account to be able to pay bills and stuff.

2 Likes

Seems smart, I will definitely do this!

1 Like

In many ways, managing your money is much like training: the sooner you start doing it well, the better results in the long run.

3 Likes

In again for your new log! I am not sure if I ever told you but I was following your old log as well :'D
Olympic lifting will surely be interesting.

1 Like

Well… More videos would certainly be nice haha. That being said, I would strongly advise you record your sets as the olympic lifts are far more technical than the powerlifts/strongman. Tiny little changes such as your grip being further by an inch or where you decide to focus your eyes makes quite a huge difference, to me at least.

1 Like

Actually did that today, and learned some things from it. Will be posting a compilation later, have to edit and stuff.

11/26/16
Heavy day week 1
Snatches
65X3
85X3
115X3
135X2
155X2
185X1, plate math is apparently hard when you start using colored plates. 10 pound PR (I am not sure if my old PR was 175 or 185, just going to assume it was 175)
165X2
165X2
145X2

clean and jerk
145X2
185X2
225X1 only clean, I psyched myself out
245X0 psyched myself out and the first pull was bad
205X2
205X2

klokov push presses
125X10 for 5 sets

lat pull down
200X12
220X8
240X6
180X7

Thought to myself, “Huh…that was quick. I might do some a- oh god I forgot to do squats”

squats
365X3
345X3 for 4 sets

1 Like

Going to figure out how to make a compilation, but this was the lift I cared about. I think I might have scared the bumpers. :wink:

3 Likes

Don’t know about the bumpers, but it was scary to watch :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

I am not sure how it happened. Bumpers are supposed to be really snug on the bar, and not need clips. It’s the last time I don’t use clips on my heavy work anyway.

2 Likes

That snatch looked very strong, although unstable. Honestly looks like you’ll be good for more very soon.

1 Like

Thanks. There are a lot of things that I need to work on for both lifts, though a lot will be fixed by just simply getting oly shoes and spending more time under the bar drilling my screw ups. I’ll be shooting for 190 next week depending on how I feel.

1 Like

You should take videos from the side frontal view, it’s easier to evaluate form from that angle.

1 Like

I’ll try. It is hard to find things to prop my phone up against to take the recording. I might be able to get a good shot if I go into the lifting platform on the other side.

I usually use one of them barbell lockjaw collars as a prop or a water bottle. I bought a gorillapod for my iPhone and I used to use that a ton till it kinda broke.

2 Likes