T Nation

Desperate and Need Help

Hello, I need help desperately.
I am skinnfyfat, and I don’t know what to do.
My stomach protrudes to the point that I am afraid to bulk and get triple chins, and I am afraid that I don’t have enough muscle for a cut not to go horribly wrong.

In other words, I don’t know what to do.

Please help, thank you.

[quote]gobbledigook wrote:
My stomach protrudes to the point that I am afraid to bulk and get triple chins, and I am afraid that I don’t have enough muscle for a cut not to go horribly wrong.

Please help, thank you.[/quote]

Well, you don’t have much to lose considering you don’t like your body as is to begin with. Eat healthy foods, lots of lean protein, good carbs like vegetable and fruit, and healthy fats. Eat these foods in about six small meals per day.

Lift using big compound movements like squat, deadlifts, pull ups, presses both overhead and bench. Break this up into three or four workouts per week. Get plenty of rest when your aren’t doing this.

You are skinny fat by your own admission. You need to gain muscle to make your body look better. Get tough don’t be “afraid” and make a decision to do it and then like the cable guy says get er done.

You can be a complainer and make excuses and be ashamed of how you look or you can get tough and mean and do what you gotta do and in a year feel the satisfaction of accomplishing something powerful.

Hope you do it,

D

I forgot one thing, READ, use this site and learn how to get what you want. If sit around and wait for others to help you often times nothing gets done.

D

This is easily flame worthy, go read the beginners threads, this isn’t nearly enough for anyone to actually help with… search function will cover anything other questions you should have after this.

Eat healthy, and work out. Thats it. Dont sweat the small details currently. If you need muscle, work out and eat enough. If you need to cut fat, work out and eat clean. If you want to do both… guess what. Work out, eat clean, and enough of it, and progress will eventually come.

Leave the bulk/cut thoughts at the door. Getting IN SHAPE comes first, and that is accomplished with time, sweat, and healthy eating. The “skinny fat” syndrome that is so common is just a indicator that your eating too much junk, and not getting enough exercise. Exercise more, eat better, and results should come.

It takes some time though, work at it.

I agree ,if you eat right and exercise regularly you will see results.Once you feel comfortable in the gym then you can decide if you want to try to bulk.

Agree with the above your getting know where fast worrying. Less thinking more doing. Start eating right and lifting and see where it heads. If getting to damn fat cut the food a touch, if not keep going.

How do you get triple chins on your belly?? LOL

make sure you spell the titles of threads correctly

Well, if anyone’s going to have a shot at helping you then they need to know details…height, weight, bf% if known (and how measured), training history (years, styles usually used), typical routines, and a daily outline of your diet.

Once you have that, someone can help. But wait, there more! You should read articles on this site before posting to see if you can solve your problem. If your are confused by things you read, post here. If you find ideas, post them here and ask if they’re good or bad. But if you haven’t done any reading, not too many people here are going to feel like helping. Help yourself. Further, if you are “desperate” then you need to be willing to go for the long haul, not a short sprint.

As long as you have the fire inside, you’ll eventually get where you’re going.

1. Search on this site for some Berardi articles on nutrition. Learn to apply and how to eat according to his 10 habits.

2. Search again, this time for Chad Waterbury articles (Big Boy Basics is a good starter) for an effective training program.

3. Eat plenty of the good stuff according to Berardis advice while doing the Waterbury program.

An approach without any calorie counting or much hazzle, however, it takes some real determination to change bad nutrition habits. I bet this would improve your body composition quite dramatically.

I’m 15, 6’2 and weigh approximately 170 pounds.
I actually eat pretty clean and have been doing so for the past 3 years. I have been lifting properly for about 10 months. My only concern is that my body composition never changes. I have stayed the same for about a year (before then I had less fat, even though I think I ate less clean…).

My diet mainly consists of the following foods:

Oats, pasta, vegetables, beef, turkey, skim milk, eggs, peanuts, cottage cheese… my diet is actually rather bland and boring… and since I have started weightlifting properly I eat pretty much the same things every day.

As for my workout… I usually train full body routines 3 times a week, although i have tried splits.

I have read ALOT… much of Berardi’s things and Waterbury’s programs (ABBH, etc). I have the knowledge I just don’t really know how to utilize it.

My basic plan was to do full body workouts 3 times a week as I am doing, eat as clean as possible, and incorporate some HIIT cardio 2-3 times a week. Does this sound good?

I really appreciate the help, thank you everybody.

If you can’t utilize it then you don’t have it. The knowledge that is. If in ten months time you have been eating and lifting correctly yet your body composition hasn’t changed for the better something is deficient in one or both of these areas.

One can eat all the right foods, but if it is only in 1200 calories a day they shouldn’t be surprised when they don’t gain or even lose muscle if engaging in an intense workout program. You need to experiment in tweaking or adjusting your caloric and different nutrient intake. Probably not getting adequate protein for muscle gains.

You lifting program. Is it intense enough? To really make body composition changes and stimulate muscle growth you need to make sure you are lifting with enough intensity and providing adequate nutrients for rest and recovery.

Just some thoughts from me.

Good luck,

D

I would say I eat around maintenance, or slightly above. That’s around 2500 calories according to several websites.
I’ve noticed though that I tend to put on fat easily. So I try and eat more fat than carbs.

I would say my macronutrient ratios are: 30% protein, 30% carbs, and 40% fat. Or something along those lines, I’m not being completely accurate.

What I’m trying to say is that I think I eat alot of protein, and the only areas of my diet that I may need to tweak is the actual caloric intake. But I could be wrong.

I don’t like over complicating my life with complex macronutrient ratios, insulin sensitivity etc. I’m not a bodybuilder who plans on attending shows or competing. I just want to have a better physique.

I make sure that I lift until just before failure. I actually have concerns that I may be overtraining, bt since high frequency seems to be the ‘trend’ it’s not easy to realize whetehr I really am.

Thanks for the replies.

What a lot of people don’t realize is that if they really want to get rid of the skinny fat look they need to buckle up and build some muscle on their frame. I am not talking Mr Olympia proportions either. If you are eating maintenance calories it’s going to maintain your current physique.

If you up the caloric intake for a year on clean foods and compound movements you can gain considerable muscle with a minimum of fat. When this is done your body will be much more conducive to melting off fat once you cut calories somewhat and increase the exercise and cardio load.

If you’re not willing to do this then be satisfied continuing to spin your wheels.

D

So you think I should up my caloric intake with clean foods and continue to lift hard?

Do you think I should incorporate any cardio in order to further minimize fat gain?

Thank you so much for your continued help.

Give us an idea of exactly what,eating clean entitles for you.

I would ask for a what your workout looks like but in all honesty even the worst programs in the world can bring results in the beginning especially if your dietary habits are dialed in.

well i told earlier what i eat, but i dont have sugar in my diet and i stick to wholegrain carbs

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
If you are eating maintenance calories it’s going to maintain your current physique.
D [/quote]

That’s some straight up philosophical shit there.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
If you are eating maintenance calories it’s going to maintain your current physique.
D

That’s some straight up philosophical shit there.

[/quote]

On par with Plato?

D

[quote]Mys7icaL 0n3 wrote:
well i told earlier what i eat, but i dont have sugar in my diet and i stick to wholegrain carbs[/quote]

Detail it. It seems as though you really want to avoid specifics, guess at calories and nutrients, and not make a complicated effort at tracking your nutriction. Make it a habit of keeping track, put some effort into it. This is your body, you want to change it, you cant just keep doing the same things if they aren’t working for you in the manner you desire. With that said…

We see what you eat. But how much are you eating, what are you eating in combinations, and when is it being eaten? Are you really sure your eating the right amount? I’d re-evaluate my needs if I were you, you’ve already stated that with your maintenence diet your body composition is doing just that, as the philosophical insight of Dedicated has shown. Reading about how to eat isn’t enough, you must apply the knowledge. There is more than enough nutritional information on this site for you to address your needs.

Workout program? Is it intense enough? Compound lifts? What are your actually doing? Are you planning on following a program?

HIIT is different than Cardio - or at least in my mind it is. Although the goal is fat loss, they are different beasts. It may be best to determine what exactly your going to do, and whether it will match with the rest of your plans.

This line is of concern: “I make sure that I lift until just before failure. I actually have concerns that I may be overtraining, bt since high frequency seems to be the ‘trend’ it’s not easy to realize whetehr I really am.”

Going to failure and high frequency training are not the same thing, you may be setting yourself up for overtraining if your not clear about what you are doing. Going to failure is based on the exercise you are currently doing. HFT refers to how often you do your entire workout. Just making sure your dont confuse the two.

I agree with Akai and the others.

Avoiding overcomplication in detail is one thing. Not knowing the quantity of calories, the timing of calories, the volume of work, and the intensity of work leaves you nowhere…which is exactly why you posted here in the first place.

I sympathize with wanting to avoid overcomplication. My life is busy enough, and I’m no bodybuilder. However, without knowing your starting point, you can’t know when or if you’ll reach your endpoint. You need to keep a log of at least training. And really and nutrition log is going to be essential too.