T Nation

Despade: Journey to Strong(ish?)

Definitely congratulations on the twins! I haven’t caught up on all the logs I was following and I somehow missed that…

2/13/19

Weight: 207.2 (…wut)

Back/Shoulder Pump

Chest Supported Cybex Row
6-8 sets x 12-20 reps x 120-150

Single Arm DB Row
4 x 10 x 100

WG Pull Up
4 x 5 x BW

Plate Raise
3 x 12 x 35

Lateral Raise
4 x 15 x 25

DB Curl
4 x 15 x 30

Superset:
OHP
3 x 25 x 30
BPA
3 x 20 x Red

…and done. Pretty wiped from yesterday’s squat session, just a blood flow workout, felt pretty good, but didn’t have a lot of oomph for pushing weight, not worried about it, Wednesdays and Saturdays are for balance and pump work.

Weight: Uh…I’ve pushed probably a gallon of water since waking, have eaten/had multiple shakes prior to working out, and had little sleep (usually leads to a spike from water retention/bloating for me)…this is curious.

2/14/19

Weight: 208.4

Speedy-like Bench

8 x 3 x 195 + orange (doubled)
1 x 18 x 195

Low Incline DB Bench
23 x 70
10 x 70
12 x 60
20 x 50

Rolling DB Decline Triceps
3 x 15-20 x 35-40

Tricep Extension
4 x 40 x Red

Dips
3 x 15 x BW

KB Hammer Curls
4 x 15 x 25

A pretty good day. Stuff moved a bit slower than I expected, but I imagine I’m a bit fatigued still, my legs are still pretty trashed with DOMS from Tuesday. Decent little pump, I’m excited for the box squat days coming up, tomorrow will be the SSB, but next week I should be able to start rotating that cambered squat bar in (*excitement ensues).

Weight: Cautiously optimistic (not attempting to cut weight on purpose) that I’ve got something figured out, because I ate like a horse last night, had breakfast pre-workout and still am under 210.

2/15/19

Weight: 208.6

The SS(B) Speedy Squat
SSB Box Squat
8 x 3 x 255 + Doubled Orange (5th pinhole)

OHP
5 x 8 x 125

Rear Delt/Trap Raise
4 x 20 x 20

Lateral Raise
4 x 20 x 25

Rear Delt Raise
3 x 20 x 20

DB OHP
3 x 25 x 25

Forearm Crap
? x ? x 15/25s

DB Curls
5 x 8, 8, 8, 12, 12 x 45/25

Meh, my legs hurt so freaking bad, ha. Sitting back into that box squat hurt like a sonofabitch, raised it up from just under parallel to just over parallel (~1"-1.5") and that helped a ton, the speed was still there, but I feel real beat up, ha. Lots of travel for basketball this weekend, so don’t plan on being in tomorrow, so did the shoulder work today, that felt good, good pump.

Box squats are rough and really humbling. They will pay dividends…

2/17/19

Weight: 209

Heavy(ish) Bench

3 x 225
3 x 255
2 x 3 x 275 (87.5%)
1 x 4 x 275

Dips
2 x 10 x +50
2 x 8 x +75

Other Accessories, can’t recall.

Not the best bench workout I’ve had, 275 moved slower than I expected, but it is what it is, sleep has been pretty severely lacking around our house lately, so I can’t say I’m overly surprised haha

2/18/19

Weight: 211.0 (giant plate of monster cookies…damn you!)

Heavy(ish) Squat

5 x 135
5 x 225
3 x 275
3 x 315
1 x 345
2 x 3 x 375 (87.5%)
1 x 2 x 375
5 x 7 x 225 (52.5%)

SSB GM
4 x 8 x 115 + Orange Bands (4th pinhole)

Superset:
Leg Extension
3 x 12 x 100-120
1 x 20 x 90
Leg Curl
3 x 12 x 100
1 x 15 x 90

Standing Calves
5 sets x 12-20 reps x 45-135lbs

Missed the 3rd rep on the 3rd set, a little pissed about that, got into the bottom and just folded, the 8 previous reps felt hard, but good, so not entirely sure what happened, whatever, will repeat it next week and will bury all 9 reps. 5 x 7 x 225 felt strong, will probably work up to 5 x 10 and then bump weight up #bodybuilding haha I need to sit down and figure my shit out in my squat, I keep coming forward, I’m going to try and be more conscious of ‘sitting back’ and see if it’s as easy as that.

Weight: Meh.

Ramblings: Was worried about the top sets coming in, I let doubt creep in too much, positives that came from today and coming in with a ‘weak’ mindset was that even though I wasn’t totally checked in due to fatigue, the weight still moved (for the most part). Negatives, I missed the last rep, so it is a repeat workout, and if I had been more prepared mentally, I probably would’ve gotten it. Ready for a pump day tomorrow, I think.

Another Solid training session Despade!!! love the Squat session the most :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re folding over it’s often a bracing issue more than sitting back or not. Remember bracing is lats, lower back and abs.

Yeah, my bracing was definitely off, I think I’m going to have to break down and start doing abs more than once a month haha I feel like of the three (lats, lower back, abs) it is by far my weakest.

2/19/19

Weight: 210.2

Blood Flow: Back and Shoulders

Lat Pulldowns
4 x 20-25 x 100-120

OHP (Machine)
4 x 15 x 70-90

High Pull (Machine)
4 x 15 x 70

Cable Curls
3 x 12 x 40-60

Meh, was gonna hit it a little harder, but just flat don’t want to, ha. Made myself get some blood moving and it feels good, but 4 movements is plenty for today, ready for some bench tomorrow. Going to mess with my grip a little bit (I have always done ‘suicide’ grip, I think I need to man up and wrap my thumb so that the cues actually work) we will see how it feels, I went away from a wrapped thumb quite awhile ago simply due to discomfort.

2/20/19

Weight: 210.6

Speedy(ish) Bench(ish)
8 x 3 x 195 (various grips)

Low Incline DB Bench
3 x 20, 20, 15 x 55

Supersets of Triceps/Biceps
5-8 sets of each x 8-12 reps of each

Pretty tired, but the main sets moved really well, did various grips (one for the first 4 sets, then different for the next 3, and the next 3). The main grip I used was my ‘old’ grip, slightly inside of where I’ve been benching, and tried to wrap my thumb, to see how it felt. My old grip feels much better as far as ‘stacking’ my wrists over my elbows, may see how it feels for the heavy work Monday. Won’t be doing any pressing until then, left elbow feels irritated, not sure from what, just started yesterday.

Weight: Fine, too much shitty food, just an observation.

Ramblings: Haven’t thought about a genuine ‘cut’ in a long time, but may do it out of spite. I don’t like having a workout partner, I genuinely feel like I get more (and better) workouts in (shorter rest times, better focus) without having to focus on their shit as well.

I think I’m getting cranky in my old age. If you want to work out with me, be on time, be prepared, and be focused, or let me be.

I’m with ya here. Last few weeks I think I pissed off ine of the kids that works out with us. We waited until late to get him in and he showed up late. I chewed his ass out.

Then the other guy was like “it’s no big deal”. I’m sure I’ll be working out alone soon.

Time becomes more valuable after you realize that there’s more of it in the rearview mirror than in front of you…

hahaha that’s one of the reasons I workout alone.

One of two new bars showed up…ordered the cambered squat bar and a multi-grip press bar…the press bar showed up…damnit. I’ve got box squats tomorrow and wanted to take the cambered bar for a ride, ha!

That’s just called courtesy.

love the speedy(ish) part, had me chuckle a bit because never seen anyone use speedy(ish). Gret work out and hope the bar comes in soon!!!

2/21/19

Weight: 212.4 (no surprise)

Boxy Squats

SSB Box Squats (15.25" Box)
5 x 3 x 275 + double orange from floor
5 x 3 x 225 + double orange from floor

Banded GM
4 x 20 x Purple

Single Leg Curls
3 x 12-15 x 50-60lbs

Seated Calves
4 x 15-20 x 50-75lbs

Hack Squat
3 x 12 x ??

275 moved well for the first 4 sets, slowed considerably on the 5th, so I dropped the weight and really got after it at 225. Realized that where I had been setting the bands for squats (4th or 5th pinhole) was giving me tension about halfway up, and was doing nothing for me in the bottom, so I dropped them all the way to the floor and while it wasn’t a huge ‘weight’ difference, I think it makes more sense to have tension from the bands all the way through the range of motion. Up until last week and this week I had been squatting to about a 14" box (right at, or a hair below parallel) and then bumped it up by about an inch to ~15". This makes a huge difference with my force production, I’ll be rotating box heights from here on out, but man, that 1.25" makes a massive difference.

Edit: Also, weight + bands looks pretty cool, just an observation :joy:

Weight: No surprise, had a 4"x 13" ‘piece’ of breakfast casserole for dinner last night. I think I’m growing, because I have been starving lately (or at least that’s what I tell myself to help justify the copious amounts of food I’ve been eating.)

This is where I’ve been squatting to as well. Coach usually has us get just below parallel, but I’m sure that working different heights can’t hurt!

Are these the big boy orange bands? (2"+) Or the orange minis which are I think a step over red minis?
I just pulled against the heavy orange bands last week, and oh man, not looking forward to trying to squat against them.

Agree.

I tell myself this too. If I’m packing in the food, feeling consistently hungry, and not looking like a tub of lard, than I must be on the road to gains!