T Nation

Despade: Journey to Strong(ish?)

COMPLETELY forgot you’re having twins. Yeah, enjoy your sleep while you can! When is the due date? You guys must be getting pretty excited.

We’re stoked! The ‘real’ due date is March 3, but the doc told us to expect them anywhere from 3-5 weeks early (apparently that’s the norm with twins) so we are like…right there, ha. Anytime in the next few weeks could be ‘go time’.

Awesome man, I’m happy for you!

You have some awesome days in front of you with twins. Congrats :champagne:

Doesn’t really matter, just curious. Fraternal or identical? Boys? Girls? One of each?

A lot of challenges ahead, and a lot of joy.

I believe they’re fraternal (although my wife seems to remember hearing they were more likely to be identical…) and they’re both girls, it’s gonna be quite the adventure!

Man that’s going to turn your world as you know it upside down in the most positive way.
Don’t forget to enjoy it, all of it. From the no sleep to the first smile, the first step, the first word, the first teen nonsens, the first date :slight_smile:
You’re in for a rollercoaster mate :slight_smile:

1/13/18

Weight: 212

Shoulder/Back Work

OHP
5 x 95
5 x 115
5 x 135
3 x 155
2 x 2 x 185 (90%)

Bunch of other back/shoulder pump work. Decent day.

1/14/18

Heavy Bench

Bench
3 x 5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
1 x 245
2 x 3 x 265 (85%)
1 x 5 x 265 (85%)

Low Incline DB Bench
4 x 8 x 80

Low Point Cable Fly
4 x 12-15 x 30-40

Dips
2 x 8 x BW

6-8 sets of Triceps (bands, ropes, single/double arm)

A good pressing day, supposed to deload this week (got it written in as every 4th week) but knew there would be weeks where I felt good and would continue on, and simply deload the 7th week (does that sound familiar?!) and yesterday was a good call to press on (am not looking forward to legs today though…) 265 was smooth, smooth enough that my spotter asked why I wasn’t going for more on every set, which is right where I want to be for my working sets. Leave it in the tank to recover with.

1/15/19

Weight: 211.0

Heavy Squat
Squat
2 x 5 x 135
5 x 225
3 x 275
3 x 315
2 x 345
3 x 3 x 365 (85%)
2 x 315
5 x 225

SSB Good Morning
4 x 8 x 135

Standing Calves
4-6 sets x 15-20 reps x 95lbs

Sissy(ish) Squats (Smith Machine)
2 x 8 x 95

Lots of interruptions, but I got my heavy work in. I’m really enjoying heavier stuff with hard bracing…it’s weird, like the total lack of thought, other than ‘up, up, up’ associated with bracing and pushing til you’re red in the face is starting to feel good, that strain and internal pressure makes it so that nothing else can be thought of, and it’s a cool feeling.

The squats moved way better than I expected, I think I may be onto something with my ‘duct tape’ programming (piecing a few ideas together and making it work, ha) not that it is reinventing the wheel, but it seems to be working for me, and I continue to feel good. I mean I was able to hit all 3 triples (with effort) after playing basketball last night, which typically does not bode well for the following squat day. My bench seems to really be responding to it, at least so far, I figure I’ll probably stall out on my squats before my bench with this programming/approach.

Weight: Normalized pretty quickly today, sloppy, but strong(ish), ha!

I’m just gonna leave this here for you to think about… I read about it over and over and finally am using this in my training just to see what will happen.

Yeah! A little Prilepin when into my ‘duct tape’ program, ha. On my ‘heavy’ day I work anywhere from 4-9 reps at 85% or higher, and on my light day I work anywhere from 16-30 (8-10 sets of 2-3 reps) at 45-65%. Weird how it seems to be working :joy:

1/16/19

Weight: 210.0

Shoulder/Back Pump

OHP
4 x 8 x 115

Rear Delts
Alot

Laterals
A few

Rows
A lot

Shrugs
A few

Curls
A few

Walk
Incline 10-12% x 3mph x Body Weight x 10 minutes

Meh, tired and feeling beat up. Almost took the day, but I figured a short, easy one would at least help with recovery, got some pretty good DOMS from squats. Got a pair of STrong elbow sleeves and wanted to try them out pressing, they feel really good, I’ve convinced myself that by adding the compression on my knees and elbows now that I’ll be heading off future problems, not that I just wanted some new gear. Excited to take em for a cruise benching tomorrow.

Weight is better, still feel sloppy, but that could be because I’m mentally drained and tired more than how I look physically.

Rambling: It is always interesting to me how training focus shifts, I used to love overhead pressing and deadlifting (shoulder and back days in general, really.) Now they are simply a ‘health’ thing I do to maintain some balance and I have fallen in love with benching and squatting. I used to religiously have a ‘bro day’ for the gunz, and now I can barely be buggered to through a couple sets of curls in after my back days, ha (triceps get hit because of lockout for bench). Was just thinking that this morning when I was lacking motivation for a session, part of it is probably that there is no progression plan for my Wednesday and Saturday shoulder/back pump sessions, but I purposely did that thinking it would provide a spark being able to ‘do whatever’. Ah well! 2019 is the year of the 400lb bench and the 500+ squat, ha! Deadlift and OHP can have 2020.

1/17/18

Weight: 212.8 (??)

Speedy Bench

Bench
8 x 3 x195
Dummy Set
1 x 18 x 195

Low Incline DB
3 x 10, 9, 8 x 85

Giant Set:
Triceps (Band)
4 sets
Smith Machine Row
3 sets
Tricep Ext (NG handle)
3 sets
Pull Up
3 sets

Superset:
OHP (KB)
2 x 12 x 25
High Pull
2 x 12 x 25s
Hammer Curl
2 x 12 x 25

Good day, had a shortened window, but it got done and felt great, instead of doing 2 more sets of 3, kinda wanted to be a dummy and see where I was at with reps…better than expected. I stopped at any real form break down, had pretty good control throughout.

1/18/19

Weight: 210.6

Speedy(ish) Squat

SSB Box Squat
6 x 3 x 225 (52.5%)
4 x 3 x 255 (60%)

SSB Good Mornings
4 x 10 x 135 (Squat Stance)

Standing Calves
4 x 12 x 135

Leg Extensions
15 x 120
8 x 140
8 x 160
8 x 180
8 x 200

Superset:
Lateral Raise
3 x 15 x 20
Ab Wheel
3 x 10 x BW

I’m fairly wiped out after a long week with long nights. I’ll be taking most of the weekend off, though, between basketball games and travel for doc appointments I may not get another one in until Tuesday, which I’m fine with. The 225 felt fine for speed, the 255 felt surprisingly good for speed, I think it was a mental thing…more ‘checked in’ with the 255.

Weight was surprising today, as I polished off 3 bowls of various cereals and a protein shake last night for dinner after practice haha (Cocoa Pebbles, Trix, and Frosted Flakes for those that care to know :joy:)

Edit: Had a very uncomfortable realization today, I’m the strongest individual in our gym (at least in the big 3). I realized how thankful I am that I can still come here to T-Nation and see/read strong people’s logs and continue to get my feelings hurt enough to want to get stronger, because me being the strongest guy in any gym doesn’t bode well for that gym’s reputation haha

Time to join a new gym. just do the good old irish goodbye/dad going to the corner store to get a pack of smokes and never coming back

Happy Cake day Mate.
Strongest guy… yup you’re pretty strong allright :slight_smile:

I have said the same to myself before. I’ve changed gyms over it too.

No such luck with changing gyms, ha. Living in rural WY isn’t real conducive to hopping gyms, although there is a small group here that wants to start hitting a different gym every couple of weeks, traveling to areas around and within an hour or two drive time, just to get a different look, which I’m in for, if my schedule will ever allow it.

Ha I lift on my own I’m always the strongest dude around :slight_smile: