Despade: Journey to Strong(ish?)

Following.

I know the feeling. Spotters can suck sometimes. The good news is that you KNOW you can get it. It’s just a matter of resetting mentally, focusing on your diet for the next few days/weeks, and then coming back and crushing it for 3. YOU GOT THIS

I hate it when spotters do that. I always brief them thoroughly before the lift and tell them the only three situations they are allowed to touch the bar or me: I tell them to take it; the bar starts moving downwards; or they year a rip or crack. Saves hassles.

Yeah, they have helped me loads. And I was severely tempted, especially when he didn’t find it as serious a faux paus as I did, ha.

@cdmac24 thanks man, yeah, I still got some growth out of this workout, haven’t had DOMS like this in a minute, ha.

@lava2007 Glad to have ya along, the support and words are much appreciated!

@MarkKO I had a nearly identical conversation with him, he’s not a big “weightlifter” he’s a strong dude relative to his size, but he does mostly Spartan/crossfit type workouts, I genuinely just don’t think he understands what he’s looking for yet as a spotter, but ya gotta love when it goes in one ear and out the other haha

2 Likes

12/11/17

Weight: 202.4

Chest

Flat DB Press
5 x 80
5 x 90
3 x 8 x 95
2 x 4 x 95

Dips
25, 15, 10 x BW (couldn’t match the painter haha)

Up and Unders
3 x 15 x 40

Superset
Skull Crushers/Close Grip Press/Lying Band Pull Aparts
3 x 15, 15, 15 x 55

Triceps Extensions
3 x 8 x 110
1 x 8, 10, 12, 15 x 110, 90, 70, 50 (drop set)

Meh, pretty low key, decent chest pump, was able to accumulate some volume with the 95s, but once I hit that wall, they were done (4th set). Head wasn’t really in it today, weird Monday feels… legs are pretty sore from Saturday’s workout, hopefully some good sleep and venison tacos (lots of 'em) are the cure.

Plan for tomorrow- Sumo Deadlifts, going to push it a bit, get up into the 400s, maybe as high as 450, depending on the feel under some weight, get an idea of where I’m at so I can start working it regularly.

12/11/17

Perspective Post

Thought a lot about the missed opportunity to get 385 (not obsessing, but thinking about what it means to me, how I’d feel hitting it, etc) and wanted to put something on here to put it into perspective.

Started logging in February of this year (~10 months) and in that time (outside of injury) I have progressed at an exceptional rate compared to what I had done for years, the best examples being the OHP and the Squat.

OHP went from a shaky 3 x 155 to a solid 1 x 200 and my squat has gone from a shaky 3 x 315 to a solid 375 x 1 (not to mention missing 385 twice and then following it with a solid 24 reps at 315 the same workout). There was a point in time where I wasn’t sure about loading 315 up on the bar to squat…that point in time was literally only months ago

Weight was 12-15lbs higher, and I wasn’t as strong, this is literally the strongest I’ve been in my life, not necessarily the most athletic, or the quickest, but by far the strongest, a lot of that has to do with the friendly competition between training logs, and the call outs (I remember one super rude Canadian telling me to stop bein’ a lil’ skirt wearin’ sissy man in particular) to do what is necessary if you want to get stronger.

End reminder/perspective/1st world vent post

2 Likes

Man, I’m stealing this idea! Love the “Perspective Post”

I think I’ll drop one at maybe the 6 month mark.

Yeah man, your progress has been great! That’s why I started keeping a log on here too because I don’t have a workout partner and the friendly competition, encouragement, tips, advice, and friendly banter all help to push my further.

Yeah, I need a reality check every once in awhile, most of my social media is filled with training/lifting/strong ass dudes. So I tend to immediately look past my personal PRs and bests and forget to enjoy the process, just looking at the next number, everyone has their, “Once I hit this number, I’ll be strong.” But it keeps moving, and at times can be disheartening, helps to remember where you’ve come from and how far (at least for me).

1 Like

12/12/17

Weight: 202.4

Deads
5 x 135
5 x 225
3 x 315
1 x 405
1 x 455
1 x 485
1 x 500 (+5lb Lifetime PR)

Chest Supported BB Row
4 x 12 x 135

Bent Over DB Row
4 x 10 x 60s

Superset
Lat Pull Down
5 x 10 x 120-150
NG Grip Low Row
5 x 10 x 120-150

Pull ups
2 x 5 x +25lbs
3 x 5 x BW

Superset everything with 3D bands.

Another good day, pulling 500 was big, up to this point I have only ever pulled 495 and missed twice at 515, so I’m pretty stoked, my hips still come up, so I need to really focus on my hamstrings, I think, to correct that deficit, but it moved. Please feel free to point out issues/flaws/tweaks that need to happen (I promise I’ll only cry on the inside.)

Watching it back a couple times, need to use my legs more, keep my hips down.

But here are 485 and 500, respectively.

6 Likes

Congrats man!

and another BOOYAH for you! ( I could watch this GIF all day)

Just in here putting in moderate amounts of work.

1 Like

Love that satisfied GRUNT after you locked it out! effing OUTSTANDING.

Yeah, you could probably crush even more once you keep those hips from rising too fast.

I’m no expert on Sumo DL so I’ll let the others make more specific comments about form.

I’m just here for the PR’s

That’s exactly what I’m thinking, a couple weeks of direct hamstring work (the left one that I tore up this past summer still sucks) I think things will shoot up again.

Appreciate the support, brother!

1 Like

Nice work!

Both pulls looked really similar to me, only difference was the roll before the 500 lbs and the bar speed. Hips come up on both. A side view would be ideal to see what’s going on.

I’d say it’s not necessarily your hamstrings but your hips that are lagging. Hips are what drive sumo off the floor as far as I understand, and if they’re lagging it stands to reason that you’ll get pulled forward (so up come the hips) and your back ends up moving the bar.

1 Like

Fuckin’ Canadians eh? Can’t trust em’!

Congrats dude, that’s awesome! That is a sexy milestone to hit.

Canadians are notoriously grumpy and abrasive.

Wolverine_Sucker_Punches_Cyclops

1 Like

Well done mate!
Every time I drop by your log you seem to have hit another PR… Carry on.

Nice shirt … I mean lift. Yes nice lift.

Hey man, awesome pull. What would you say has been the biggest game changer for you as far as deadlifts go? What kind of DL training has given you the best strength gains?

Hey man, you’re twitter famous

3 Likes