T Nation

Designing the Roadmap to a 6 Pack

PREPARING FOR THE FINAL STRETCH

I have 3 months until the end of the year. That?s 3 months to get to 6% bodyfat. I refuse to take any questionable drugs. I’m determined to do this 100% natural. I need your help to come up with the winning game plan.

Coming upon nearly 10 weeks of my workout and 12 weeks of my diet, I’m feeling good and looking good, but those hallowed abdominal divisions still elude me. I think I need to step up my nutritional supplement game, and also change up my workout.

The goal is to achieve an athletic, male model/greek god build, not heavyweight bodybuilder.

Let me know what you think.

CURRENT FITNESS ACTIVITY
? Slow carb diet (Bean, proteins, healthy fats)
? 2 Full body, high weight, super slow (5 counts up, 5 down), low rep , circuit training days (lifting)
? 2 HIIT swimming days
? Vitamins every morning (sometimes some flax oil capsules)
? Recently started drinking green tea at work
? Protein/Creatine shake after each weight workout

MY TENTATIVE PLAN

Monday October 6

Keep workout the same, but add in the following supplements to increase insulin sensitivity (as suggested by Tim Ferris).

200mcg chromium polynicotinate ?ChromeMate?
500mg of slow-release niacin ?Slo-Niacin?
23mg of policosanol (Nature?s Life brand)
Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) supplement (SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED):
? Flameout by Biotest
? o3mega by Genuine Health
? Udo Choice (I was previously told that this was the best there is, but now I?m told fishoil is king?)
? Is flax oil important if I?m taking others?
? Should I supplement on days that I?m going to be eating fish?

Monday, October 20 or 27 (depending on effectiveness of previous supplements)
Add following supplements for better recovery and metabolism
? BCAA (SUGGESTION NEEDED)
-Scivation Xtend or
-Optimum Nutrition BCAA
? CLA
-What’s a good one?


November 3/10 until end of year

Switch to higher rep, more explosive workout.
Some considerations (SUGGESTION NEEDED):
? Brad Pitt fightclub workout: www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bullman2.htm
? Interval Strength Training work out (a la Pavel Tsatsoulin, Mike Mahler, etc.)
? Make me a recommendation, Cletus! I need to get ripped without losing volume (im 5’7, ~150lbs).

FEEDBACK APPRECIATED (back story in next post)

Thanks all!

LOLZERS

5,7 and 150 lbs

are you anorexic ?

eat your fridge every day, lift HARD and CONSISTENTLY

do this for a few years then come back here and start cutting

good god every day this site is flooded with 150 lb metrosexuals looking for TEH HAWT ABZ

2012

[quote]thexander wrote:
PREPARING FOR THE FINAL STRETCH

I have 3 months until the end of the year. That?s 3 months to get to 6% bodyfat. I refuse to take any questionable drugs. I’m determined to do this 100% natural. I need your help to come up with the winning game plan.[/quote]

Do you mean an accurate 6%, because that is pretty damn lean (almost unsustainable). What are you going to use to measure it? (3point body fat tests suck)

[quote]thexander wrote:
Coming upon nearly 10 weeks of my workout and 12 weeks of my diet, I’m feeling good and looking good, but those hallowed abdominal divisions still elude me. I think I need to step up my nutritional supplement game, and also change up my workout.

The goal is to achieve an athletic, male model/greek god build, not heavyweight bodybuilder.

Let me know what you think.

CURRENT FITNESS ACTIVITY
? Slow carb diet (Bean, proteins, healthy fats)
? 2 Full body, high weight, super slow (5 counts up, 5 down), low rep , circuit training days (lifting)
? 2 HIIT swimming days
? Vitamins every morning (sometimes some flax oil capsules)
? Recently started drinking green tea at work
? Protein/Creatine shake after each weight workout [/quote]

First: I wouldn’t do 2 full body days, especially not super slow ones. Have a look on this site for a conservative weightloss exercise plan (ie not some crazy shit that gets disagreement from half the board. maybe look at mike robertson - I think that’s who I mean)
You could probably skip the vitamins if you have your diet in check, but I would add at least 4g of fish oil a day.

If you want a greek god look you better hope you have some reasonable muscle under your fat. I don’t know if you have seen many of the statues in real life, but the greek mythological figures have some definate muscle (laoocon as an example)

[quote]thexander wrote:
MY TENTATIVE PLAN

Monday October 6

Keep workout the same, but add in the following supplements to increase insulin sensitivity (as suggested by Tim Ferris).

200mcg chromium polynicotinate ?ChromeMate?
500mg of slow-release niacin ?Slo-Niacin?
23mg of policosanol (Nature?s Life brand)
Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) supplement (SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED):
? Flameout by Biotest
? o3mega by Genuine Health
? Udo Choice (I was previously told that this was the best there is, but now I?m told fishoil is king?)
? Is flax oil important if I?m taking others?
? Should I supplement on days that I?m going to be eating fish?

Monday, October 20 or 27 (depending on effectiveness of previous supplements)
Add following supplements for better recovery and metabolism
? BCAA (SUGGESTION NEEDED)
-Scivation Xtend or
-Optimum Nutrition BCAA
? CLA
-What’s a good one?[/quote]

If you are taking enough Flameout you probably don’t have to worry much about supplementing other fats (just cook with good fats), but there is no harm as long as they are reasonable quality.

I buy bulk bags of BCAAs, and take them post workout (20gBCAA and 10g Glutamine). They are probably one of the worst tasting things ever invented, so I shot them, chasing them with my protein shake. I know some people knock glutamine, but I find it really helps with DOMS so you might want to test it (it’s damn cheap anyway).

[quote]thexander wrote:

November 3/10 until end of year

Switch to higher rep, more explosive workout.
Some considerations (SUGGESTION NEEDED):
? Brad Pitt fightclub workout: www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bullman2.htm
? Interval Strength Training work out (a la Pavel Tsatsoulin, Mike Mahler, etc.)
? Make me a recommendation, Cletus! I need to get ripped without losing volume (im 5’7, ~150lbs).
[/quote]

You might not need to change up your routine much, but if you follow my previous advice about training, just find a similar workout, with enough change to challange your body. Don’t go overboard or risk losing muscle.

Put on your flame retardant vest and come back.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Put on your flame retardant vest and come back.

[/quote]

Or don’t come back.

Approaching it from completely the wrong side.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
B rocK wrote:
Put on your flame retardant vest and come back.

Or don’t come back.

Approaching it from completely the wrong side.[/quote]

I figured I’d leave it to someone more intimidating then little ol me with my water bottle to tell some skinny dude to screw

So avatars are intimidating now?

yes and yours is wicked gheey

haha…just messing.

http://www.sandowmuseum.com/ideal.html

Check your measuremnts out against that matesy

i doubt your close

http://www.sandowmuseum.com/ideal.html

Check your measuremnts out against that matesy.

Id guess your looking at gaining about another 30 pounds of muscle.

good luck=)

This guy’s post is kind of dumb, but I don’t see why every guy that weighs 150 and just wants abs and some help on how to get them gets flamed here.

Everyone tells them “wrong forum,” but I don’t know of any “get sweet abz” forums, so what would be the right forum for them?
We all have different goals and if his is to get abs, who cares?

[quote]flashgordon wrote:
http://www.sandowmuseum.com/ideal.html

Check your measuremnts out against that matesy

i doubt your close[/quote]

What is that supposed to prove?

[quote]Artem wrote:
This guy’s post is kind of dumb, but I don’t see why every guy that weighs 150 and just wants abs and some help on how to get them gets flamed here.

Everyone tells them “wrong forum,” but I don’t know of any “get sweet abz” forums, so what would be the right forum for them?
We all have different goals and if his is to get abs, who cares? [/quote]

You’re right. People do have different goals and that is acceptable.

However:

1.) Being on here for a while, you tend to get annoyed with these types of posts. Whether it be “hawt abs” or something else…repetitious posts get annoying (IMO)
2.) People who sign onto here and within their first handful of posts come out and say they want abs; also, is annoying. And it is these people who (if helped) rarely do we hear from again. So essentially, it is a waste of time the majority of the time. (Not all the time)
3.) Trolls can be tricky.
4.) I. Am. So. Incredibly. Angry. Often. (aka, blame me)

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
flashgordon wrote:
http://www.sandowmuseum.com/ideal.html

Check your measuremnts out against that matesy

i doubt your close

What is that supposed to prove?[/quote]

The OP claimed to want to have a greek god physique. That site asks for wrist measurements to calculate the stats someone of that size would need to have in order to have the greek “ideal” physique.

Looks like I need to get going on lowering my waist measurement. Damn you skinny wrists!

[quote]Artem wrote:
This guy’s post is kind of dumb, but I don’t see why every guy that weighs 150 and just wants abs and some help on how to get them gets flamed here.

Everyone tells them “wrong forum,” but I don’t know of any “get sweet abz” forums, so what would be the right forum for them?
We all have different goals and if his is to get abs, who cares? [/quote]

Just a small observation. (OK - it’s a rant.)

IF the OP is serious then he needs a real, hands on, in person approach to achieve this goal. To read what he has written only shows a surface understanding of human performance and body transformation. To think he can cobble something together on the internet and then find the discipline to stick to the program is, in one word, foolish.

Now what I find insulting is that with no appreciation for what 6% BF actually is (outside of the Brad Pitt poster on his wall) and what it takes to get there really pisses me off. Also to mention that he does not want to lose volume at 150lbs is laughible.

A certain amount of abdominal development is needed in order to see your abs. With very little muscle on a 5’7 frame and a well starved body, what type of definition does he hope to see.

5 seconds down and 5 seconds up + very heavy - WTF!?

Wow, so much love, haha. At least this is more active than the bodybuilding.com forums.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
B rocK wrote:
Put on your flame retardant vest and come back.

Or don’t come back.

Approaching it from completely the wrong side.[/quote]

LMAO

The “wrong” side? You are one naieve, brainwashed kid. People have different fitness goals that correspond to their life goals. Personally, my life kicks ass and I’m trying to get my fitness congruent with that.

For the next dude…

You are not intelligent. Sorry. Intimidating me online? Unless you threaten to hack the shit out of my computer, steal my identity and sell it to Somalians in an open-air market, you’re just as intimidating to me over the internet as your grandmother.

Your grandmother is probably smarter though.

And for those that actually, somewhat care to help…

I grew up a lard ass (read Endomorph). When I was 16, I lost a ton of weight and ended up very skinny, but not quite where I wanted to be. Over the past few years, I�??ve been yo-yoing between getting into shape during the summer, and then proceeding to become a lard-ass over the following 3 seasons. This past summer, I decided I was going to achieve what I set out to do 6 years ago.

I’m a short guy, so I don’t think 150 is an especially low body weight for me, especially if you pay attention to MMA guys around my weight. For the time being, I’m aiming for a ripped, welterweight body type (140-147 lbs). For those of you who are offended by Brad Pitt’s body because it makes you feel “gay,” perhaps the thought of Oscar de la Hoya will make you feel more secure about your sexuality.

I know what 6% body fat means, and the aggressiveness of that goal is part of what makes it so motivating. I’m not one for mediocrity in other areas of my life. I want this, and I’d rather aim for 6% and fall short at 7, than aim for 7 and fall short at 8 (assuming I don’t make it). Once I achieve this milestone, I can move onto other athletic goals, but as an endomorph, I have to get lean first (here’s why: http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=696934 ).

As far as mental discipline goes, I definitely have that. I don’t miss workouts. I don’t cheat on my diet (although I don’t count calories either - portion method). I used to have 1 “free” day a week. I realized it was inhibiting me from achieving my goals so I made it 2-3 meals every 2 weeks.

Believe me, I know this is hard. I’m not looking for the “easy” road.

Huge thanks to eigieinhamr. Hugs to all the haters.

[quote]flashgordon wrote:
http://www.sandowmuseum.com/ideal.html

Check your measuremnts out against that matesy.

Id guess your looking at gaining about another 30 pounds of muscle.

good luck=)[/quote]

Thank you for this. Cool resource. Once I slim down, I will probably use this to set my body building goals.

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
Do you mean an accurate 6%, because that is pretty damn lean (almost unsustainable). What are you going to use to measure it? (3point body fat tests suck)[/quote]

No, it doesn’t have to be an “accurate” 6%. I have calipers and I do a 3 and 4 site test. According to these, I believe I’m somewhere around 10% right now.

Scivation Xtend is supposed to have both and supposedly tastes OK. They push it pretty hard on bodybuilding.com, but I’d like to know if its worth it, or if they’re just trying to push product.

Thanks again