Designing The Perfect Gym

That is a small gym, cool though. I’m a simple man I want something different, against the grain. I had thought of the ropes too. I wonder if that isn’t a big no no with insurance people though?

Also, forearm equipment from IronMind would be nice. So long as no one steals it!

[quote]Nards wrote:
Also, forearm equipment from IronMind would be nice. So long as no one steals it![/quote]

x2. Ive never understood that. Along with belts.

Btw, Cliffbag. Who is that in your avi?

[quote]Nards wrote:
Also, forearm equipment from IronMind would be nice. So long as no one steals it![/quote]

Chain them to the wall.

Farmerson, that picture is Lucy Pinder. She is a breeder aint she! Go on egotastic.com and there is TONS of photos of her topless.

[quote]cliffbag darrell wrote:
Farmerson, that picture is Lucy Pinder. She is a breeder aint she! Go on egotastic.com and there is TONS of photos of her topless.[/quote]

Yes she is quite a specimen!

Haven’t seen if this was asked, but who’s this gym for? Are you trying to make money or are you doing it for the enjoyment and money is an afterthought? Depending on your answer your gym will look very different.

It’s for me. I guess I’d like to make SOME money ya know? I’m a simple dude so don’t need a lot of money. If it happens it happens though…

More for the enjoyment though.

[quote]cliffbag darrell wrote:
More for the enjoyment though.[/quote]

If it’s for you and your buds [mostly] than get whatever you want. I’d start with a quality rack[s], a couple of heavy duty adjustbale benches, db’s that go 20+lbs heavier than you’ll likely ever need, fat gripz [or a fat bar if you have the dough], a cable pulley system with high and low attachements, plyo boxes of various heights, all kinds of specialty bars [ss squat bar, trap bar, bamboo, etc…], a prowler, bands, chains, boards, foam rollers and jump ropes. If you have the means to get all that you’re doing something really right. If you’re trying to make money scratch all that and get some treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and flatscreens to watch while you’re doing cardio.

A few things that most normal commercial gyms generally lack:
DBs to at least 150 if not 200.
Normal height benches with adjustable rack heights (not just two fixed positions 6" apart)
Diamond trap bar
Chains/bands
Glute ham raise (12 different abs machines, but not one GHR?)
Full power racks instead of squat half-racks.
A box for box squats. Adjustable is nice, but if not, just a 12" box with some rubber pads to build it up.

Have DB that go up by a 0.25lbs . My gym does that all the way to 50 lbs I believe then its goes up 5lbs from there. Don’t know how common that is but it’s first time I’ve seen that.

Make sure you buy ( useful ) equipments other gyms don’t have, that may attract more customers and lifters in the long run, even if you’re not aiming opening a commercial gym, that ought to keep you in business.

Get trap bars, hammer strength machines if you find them, logs, hell even consider investing in strongman stuff, increase the range of stuff people can do in your gym.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
Have DB that go up by a 0.25lbs . My gym does that all the way to 50 lbs I believe then its goes up 5lbs from there. Don’t know how common that is but it’s first time I’ve seen that.[/quote]

I’m not doing the math involved, but right now I’m imagining a db rack about 800 yards long.

My idea (again): NO MUSIC AT ALL.

I am hearing you guys on the db thing. This is what I am kicking around for music, having a couple nights a week where it’s bring your own. I am also wanting to have the music source available to my people…like my stereo system out on a table with with sirius radio AND a cd/mp 3 player for people to burn their own shit. I want it very underground. I was in the military and I want a bare bones approach to fitness. That is my approach and it is the best. It builds stronger minds and more importantly tougher minds. Equipment wise what everyone has said is what I’m thinking as well. Now input on how to sell it would be appreciated. This is all good stuff though everybody. THANK YOU! All good things, feeling the flow, doing the bull dance…

I want it to be hands on for the members…it’s their place, they are paying for it. I am picturing a tight, friendly, atmosphere, grilling in the parking lot after workouts…shit like that…ya know… I don’t want that corporate NOBODY TALK TO ME OR HELP ME VIBE…those places SUCK!

^ I dream of a place like that!
My gym is like a gay nightclub at 4AM. I assume.

the best thing is to have a radio so people can put their own music if they want. it is that simple. oh you said it nvm but that’s my view.

For a perfect gym you could build a stage in a corner and hire a live band. They could move around and play music that fits whatever you are doing.

I know the vibe of the place is up to the leadership though, so that’s what I want…a big family of meatheads and knuckledraggers! Where is your gym at Nards if I may ask…

In Taiwan :frowning:

Let me find some videos and you’ll see. It’s big, but dark with strange neon lights and not much room even though it’s big and lots of little guys wearing muscle shirts and belts and wraps doing curls.