Designing a Plan for a Supertotal

I have been trying to wrap my head around the concept of developing a training plan for progressing in the olympic lifts as well as powerlifting. I have more experience and I am much stronger in the powerlifts than the olympic lifts, but want to start incorporating them more. I dont plan on competing in olympic lifting in the near future but it is something I would like to do later on in life when I am able to lift some respectable weight. I don’t think there is anything more badass than hoisting a barbell from the floor to over your head with a weight that some people cant even deadlift. I want to someday reach a level like that but do not want to have a decrease in my performance in my other lifts. (mostly bench)I know I should hire a coach and that would be optimal but for a full-time college student with a job and community service obligations that is not in the budget right now. So coach if you would please let me know if a program set up like this would work or be optimal it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all you do.

Day 1&4: Clean/Front Squat
1.clean&jerk
2. clean from blocks as assistance
3. Split Jerk as assistance
4. Front Squat

Day 2 & 5: Deadlift/Bench Press Day

1. Bench Press
  2. OH press OR Paused bench press as assistance
  3. Deadlift
  4. Bent over rows as assistance

Day 3 & 7:Snatch/backsquat day
1.Snatch
2.power snatch as assistance
3. SG high pull as assistance
4.Back squat
5. paused Squats as assistance

I am assuming intensity to be lower on half those days and most of my work being done in the 70-85% zone.
What do you think? Is it a mess? lol

I like the idea of training for a supertotal. I love strength and to me being strong means being strong in every major lift.

Two friends of mine are actually moving in that direction They are two powerlifters/strongman now working a lot on the olympic lifts.

The actual plan to do depends on your level of efficiency on the olympic lifts. That will determine how frequent you need to do these exercises as well as how you should train them at the moment (technical practice vs. training) as well as which assistance moves you should select.

What I told my friends is that at first they shouldn’t worry about building ‘specific-strength’, not before they are technically efficient in the full olympic lifts. Simply train to get strong even if it means continuing to do squats and deadlifs like a powerlifter (low bar squat with wider stance, higher hips deadlift). I feel that a lot of convert lose the advantage they have (being strong) by dropping what got them strong in the first place.

What they should do is:

1. Practice the full olympic lifts (I would focus mostly on the full squat variations, too many strong fellow do too much ‘‘power’’ variations of the lifts) until you become VERY technically efficient.

2. Use olympic lifting assistance work to improve the key positions and strength/stability in these positions.

3. Use the powerlifts to continue getting ‘‘overall strong’’

When you become so technically efficient that you ‘‘look like a competitive weightlifter’’ when lifting then you can begin to load more on the actual olympic lifts and switch to more ‘‘olympic liftining’’ style of squatting (high bar, narrower stance, more upright) and deadlift (lower hips).

The assistance lifts for the olympic lifts should be divided into 2 categories:

POSITION DRILLS (trained with moderate weights focusing oin postion not weight)

• paused front squats
  • paused overhead squats
  • Snatch-grip deadlifts (with or without pauses)
  • clean or snatch pull from floor
  • strict press from a split position

WEAKNESS CORRECTION (trained for maximum speed of movement and precision)
*Normally a powerlifting covert is very strong from the floor but lack the explosiveness above the knees for the second pull

• clean/snatch from blocks
  • clean/snatch from hang
  • jerk with a pause a the bottom of the dip
  • jerk from a half split position
  • snatch/clean pull from blocks or hang

Now, depending on your level of technical mastery he frequency of practice of olympic lifts will vary. At first it is best to do a variaton of the snatch and clean & jerk at every workout, to engrain the motor pattern. As you become more technically efficient you can focus on one lift per workout. It is possible to train both lifts in the same day 5-6 times a week at first because you will be practicing the lifts, not really training, which means using moderate weights.

Something like:

DAY 1
Snatch practice 20-30 minutes
Clean from blocks sets of 2-3 reps, moderate weight focusing on speed, 4-5 work sets
Snatch deadlift sets of 3 ramping to a heavy weight with perfect form
Snatch high pull from blocks just above knees sets of 2-3 very explosive, 4-5 sets

DAY 2
Clean & jerk practice 20-30 minutes
‘‘Power*’’ snatch from blocks sets of 2-3 reps, moderate weight focusing on speed, 4-5 work sets
Paused front squat** sets of 3 ramping to a heavy weight with perfect form
Back squat 1 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3, 1 x 2, 1 x 1

*Here by power I mean catching in a half squat and pause at the catch position for 2 seconds
**I like to do front squats with the hands stapped to the bar to work on mobility

DAY 3
Jerk from half split* sets of 2-3 reps, moderate weight focusing on speed, 4-5 work sets
Snatch pull pause below knees sets of 3 ramping to a heavy weight with perfect form
Bench press 1 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3, 1 x 2, 1 x 1

*Do your dip in a half split position and move into a full split when you move under the bar

DAY 4
Clean & jerk practice 20-30 minutes
Snatch from hang sets of 2-3 reps, moderate weight focusing on speed, 4-5 work sets
Strict press from split position ses of 3 reps, ramp up to a heavy weight with solid form
Back squat 1 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3, 1 x 2, 1 x 1

DAY 5
‘‘Power*’’ Clean from blocks sets of 2-3 reps, moderate weight focusing on speed, 4-5 work sets
Paused overhead squats sets of 3 reps focusing on perfect from 4-5 sets
Snatch high pull from hang just above knees sets of 2-3 very explosive, 4-5 sets

*Here by power I mean catching in a half squat and pause at the catch position for 2 seconds

DAY 6
Clean & jerk praxtice 20-30 minutes
Deadlift 1x 5 ,1 x 4, 1 x 3, 1 x 2, 1 x 1
Bench press 1 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3, 1 x 2, 1 x 1

DAY 7
Clean & jerk praxtice 20-30 minutes

1 Like

This is perfect thank you for the response. I am definitely giving this a go after I am finished with my 915 cycle. Testing my new max in 2 weeks and weights are going up nice and steady.

I assume for practice I am just going to start off with the barbell for the first 10 min or so just to get the movement down pact, then use light weights in the 95-125lb range for the rest of the time remaining.

In your experience when you were coaching someone just starting out in olympic lifting how long till they become efficient in those movements? I remember reading somewhere that it could take up to 1000-1500 “proper” repetitions before a movement pattern is ingrained. Something like 2-3 months. Do you find this to be true ? I know a lot of olympic lifting coaches that just have there athletes use a broom stick for months before they even touch a weight. I don’t think I’d have the patience for that.

You still need to move some weight. I do not include barbell work in the time total, that is the warm-up. Use enough weight to feel the movement but not so much that it looks like you are having a seizure.

There is a difference between capable of doing the movements properly and having elite technique. Yeah it can take a thousand good reps to have very good technique that doesn’t break down… heck even elite lifters continue to work on technique. The best way to look at it is improving the olympic lifts is a lifelong pursuit.

But with good coaching, if you don’t have mobility issues, you can become decent at doing he lifts fairly quickly.

I was wondering about isolation/assistance exercise for lagging muscles while doing this. I was considering one assistance/isolation exercise for each of the main powerlifts. For instance my delts need to be strengthened for my bench and my glutes and hamstrings for my deadlift and squat. I know the O lifts target these muscle groups but I was wondering if I could hit them with more volume to increase its size/strength. I was thinking on sunday doing isolation exercises targeting these areas and doing them in a circuit like fashion.

What are your thoughts on this?

Or will the o lifts target these areas enough anyway?

It’s fine to add isolation work bu honestly I would prefer if you add some to the other training days then to add another training day in the week to do them.