Descending in the Squat

Hi frriends!

I have developed a bad habit with my heavier squats. As I descend I almost second guess myself and descend in a slow and hesitant manner, almost as if Im not sure I will be able to squat back up once Im down.

What cues or techniques do I need to do to stop this bad habit?

Uncle Bird.

tweet

You could consider concentric only squats. Start the bar in the bottom position by suspending it with chains and then squat up.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi frriends!

I have developed a bad habit with my heavier squats. As I descend I almost second guess myself and descend in a slow and hesitant manner, almost as if Im not sure I will be able to squat back up once Im down.

What cues or techniques do I need to do to stop this bad habit?

Uncle Bird.

tweet[/quote]

It’s been repeated to death, but I particularly like elitefts 'so you think you can squat series" on this.

I teach all first time barbell squatters the low bar squat… This way we can emphasize the hips. Practice breaking at the hips. And if you feel you have enough core stability, throw a bench underneath and go for box squats with higher weight.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will investigate them all over the next week.

Uncle Bird.

tweet

I have the same problem when I’m going for a heavy double or triple. It’s all mental for me. I just have to focus on fully committing to the rep and coming up strong out of the hole. Obviously easier said than done, but just know you’re not the only one with this issue!

I like think of myself like I’m a big diesel piston when I’m squatting high-bar. Controlled down and up, in a slot, and nothing’s gonna stop that diesel piston from chugging along at the same, consistent pace. I literally visualize this and mentally picture myself as a piston on heavy singles.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
I like think of myself like I’m a big diesel piston when I’m squatting high-bar. Controlled down and up, in a slot, and nothing’s gonna stop that diesel piston from chugging along at the same, consistent pace. I literally visualize this and mentally picture myself as a piston on heavy singles. [/quote]

mmm mmm, I use the piston analogy myself

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
I like think of myself like I’m a big diesel piston when I’m squatting high-bar. Controlled down and up, in a slot, and nothing’s gonna stop that diesel piston from chugging along at the same, consistent pace. I literally visualize this and mentally picture myself as a piston on heavy singles. [/quote]

mmm mmm, I use the piston analogy myself[/quote]

For me, I haven’t found a visual that works better.