Derek Poundstone 750 Deadlift x 10

[quote]Therizza wrote:
I was waiting for him to continental clean that last one. lol. then throw it thru the roof or something.[/quote]

hahaha, we never know with Derek Poundstone!

Crazy to watch a surgery and see human tissue torn apart so easily, and then turn around and watch Poundstone lift that kind of weight. . . for so many reps. The human body is awesome.

WSM '09 should be fun.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
goochadamg wrote:
alexdoesweights wrote:
malonetd wrote:
He should ditch the straps.

his training for an event where they are allowed to use straps, in strongman dead lift type exercises aren’t used to test grip strength (could be wrong though)

he should stop bouncing the weight. and hitching so bad.

he should stop rounding over and stiff legging it. (yay…this is fun!)[/quote]

Deadlifts are bad for your back. He’s gonna hurt himself.

seriously, these guys are strong as hell. but, every time i see them rest the bar on their knees like that i have to cringe thinking of doing something similar with my knees. that has got to cause a decent bruise and lagging soreness for days. perhaps an odd soreness where at first theyre like “what the fuck is up with my knees” oh yea, i rested 750lbs on them the other day…"

im not hating at all, just…damn.

if i remember correct that dude is 6’1" or maybe 6’3", about 308lbs last i saw him on tv? what a monster.

I believe he is 6’1 and about 320 right now

Damn, according to a 1rm calculator his max is 994, 15 pounds away from setting the record.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
malonetd wrote:

a literal ‘laugh out loud.’ excellent trolling my friend. im disappointed that so many people “got it” but a great try

I suck at trolling. Although I did like the explaining Strongman to me.

And for the record, I think this is just fucking amazing. I’m trying to think of other heavy, hi-rep stuff to compare to and I can’t. I think I remember Steve Mac hitting 770x5 (I’m probably off on the numbers), but I don’t remember anyone hitting 10’s with these kind of weights. Sick lifting.[/quote]

Zydrunas did 700x10 with a dead stop on each at IFSA Worlds 05

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
malonetd wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
malonetd wrote:

a literal ‘laugh out loud.’ excellent trolling my friend. im disappointed that so many people “got it” but a great try

And for the record, I think this is just fucking amazing. I’m trying to think of other heavy, hi-rep stuff to compare to and I can’t. I think I remember Steve Mac hitting 770x5 (I’m probably off on the numbers), but I don’t remember anyone hitting 10’s with these kind of weights. Sick lifting.

Zydrunas did 700x10 with a dead stop on each at IFSA Worlds 05[/quote]

I don’t remember that. That’s damn impressive too.

I believe Misha has hit some similar numbers as well. Terry Hollands just hit a 913 pound deadlift in training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Sf81VMsdY and is competing in this years WSM. This year is going to be one hell of a battle for all the athletes and I cannot wait to watch it.

[quote]MikeyKBiatch wrote:

I believe Misha has hit some similar numbers as well. Terry Hollands just hit a 913 pound deadlift in training: 415kg deadlift with no straps - YouTube and is competing in this years WSM. This year is going to be one hell of a battle for all the athletes and I cannot wait to watch it. [/quote]

Holy crap! He made my computer monitor bounce when he let go of the weights!!

[quote]pushharder wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
malonetd wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
malonetd wrote:

And for the record, I think this is just fucking amazing. I’m trying to think of other heavy, hi-rep stuff to compare to and I can’t. I think I remember Steve Mac hitting 770x5 (I’m probably off on the numbers), but I don’t remember anyone hitting 10’s with these kind of weights. Sick lifting.

Which is why impressive as Poundstone’s video is, he was not performing deadlifts.[/quote]

That’s like saying a touch n go bench isn’t actually a bench press because it wasnt paused. a touch and go deadlift is still a deadlift

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Because I disagree does not mean I diminish Poundstone’s feat in the least. But a deadlift is called a deadlift precisely because the lift is performed from a dead stop.

The bounce he was getting was of arguably significantly more “value” than a bench press bounce IMO.[/quote]

I wasn’t going to comment on this because, this always leads to people comparing quarter squats and other ridiculous things. But I know you’re smarter than that and I know you’re not just looking to piss on people’s lifts.

I’m completely OK with calling every one of Poundstone’s reps a deadlift, even that last rep. A deadlift in his sport – and many non-powerlifters – is simply picking up a weight and locking out. If a powerlifter showed a video of the exact same series of reps, then comments on the hitching and ramping would be expected. But we’re talking about bouncing reps here, so I guess I’m off topic.

I don’t know how much bounce one can get with 750. In my opinion, it doesn’t look like much, but then again, I’ve never had 750 in my hands. Either way, I don’t care much. It’s a deadlift to me.

For the record, I’m also OK with kipping pull-ups, cheated curls, and ugly cleans. When someone posts a video, I know what I am seeing and understand the context of the lift. Some of the ugliest cleans you will ever see take place in college training facilities. But to me – and to most college athletes apparently – a clean is just taking the bar from the ground to the rack position.

My cleans would never pass a weightlifting competition. I know this and I’m OK with it. My jerks wouldn’t either. I press out every one.

See, I get where people criticize lifts based on the standards set in competitive organizations. However most people don’t compete and most lifts don’t have a set of standards. If someone where to write a set of rules on lifts like lateral raises or bent rows, almost no one would be doing a “real” lateral raise or bent row, since so many people do these differently.

A lot of this falls outside rules and sports, though. It’s almost semantics. It’s a “dead” lift. So each rep should be a dead stop, right? But, why? The first rep is always a “dead” lift. That’s not good enough?

When done for reps, was the deadlift was historically done with each rep being a dead stop? I don’t know. I don’t know the complete history of the lift. Maybe it was never even done for reps.

The clean has evolved over the years. It was called the clean because it was a “clean” lift if it didn’t touch any part of the body on the way up. Now it’s acceptable for the bar to brush the thighs on the way up. Whatever the deadlift started out as, it’s now often done in touch and go reps.

On that note, I can’t think of any sport or organization, other than strongman, where people compete in multiple reps on the deadlift. (Maybe Crossfit?) So, in my opinion, this kinda makes them the authority on that subject. So, here is Derek Poundstone completing lifts that are perfectly acceptable in his chosen sport.

All that being said, it won’t hurt my feelings if you still disagree.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
pushharder wrote:
Because I disagree does not mean I diminish Poundstone’s feat in the least. But a deadlift is called a deadlift precisely because the lift is performed from a dead stop.

The bounce he was getting was of arguably significantly more “value” than a bench press bounce IMO.

I wasn’t going to comment on this because, this always leads to people comparing quarter squats and other ridiculous things. But I know you’re smarter than that and I know you’re not just looking to piss on people’s lifts.

I’m completely OK with calling every one of Poundstone’s reps a deadlift, even that last rep. A deadlift in his sport – and many non-powerlifters – is simply picking up a weight and locking out. If a powerlifter showed a video of the exact same series of reps, then comments on the hitching and ramping would be expected. But we’re talking about bouncing reps here, so I guess I’m off topic.

I don’t know how much bounce one can get with 750. In my opinion, it doesn’t look like much, but then again, I’ve never had 750 in my hands. Either way, I don’t care much. It’s a deadlift to me.

For the record, I’m also OK with kipping pull-ups, cheated curls, and ugly cleans. When someone posts a video, I know what I am seeing and understand the context of the lift. Some of the ugliest cleans you will ever see take place in college training facilities. But to me – and to most college athletes apparently – a clean is just taking the bar from the ground to the rack position.

My cleans would never pass a weightlifting competition. I know this and I’m OK with it. My jerks wouldn’t either. I press out every one.

See, I get where people criticize lifts based on the standards set in competitive organizations. However most people don’t compete and most lifts don’t have a set of standards. If someone where to write a set of rules on lifts like lateral raises or bent rows, almost no one would be doing a “real” lateral raise or bent row, since so many people do these differently.

A lot of this falls outside rules and sports, though. It’s almost semantics. It’s a “dead” lift. So each rep should be a dead stop, right? But, why? The first rep is always a “dead” lift. That’s not good enough?

When done for reps, was the deadlift was historically done with each rep being a dead stop? I don’t know. I don’t know the complete history of the lift. Maybe it was never even done for reps.

The clean has evolved over the years. It was called the clean because it was a “clean” lift if it didn’t touch any part of the body on the way up. Now it’s acceptable for the bar to brush the thighs on the way up. Whatever the deadlift started out as, it’s now often done in touch and go reps.

On that note, I can’t think of any sport or organization, other than strongman, where people compete in multiple reps on the deadlift. (Maybe Crossfit?) So, in my opinion, this kinda makes them the authority on that subject. So, here is Derek Poundstone completing lifts that are perfectly acceptable in his chosen sport.

All that being said, it won’t hurt my feelings if you still disagree.[/quote]

Good Post.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
malonetd wrote:
pushharder wrote:

The bounce he was getting was of arguably significantly more “value” than a bench press bounce IMO.

All that being said, it won’t hurt my feelings if you still disagree.

This is one of those deals where you risk being perceived as dissing the feat if you debate this. I’m just yapping about this cuz I have the time at the moment.

So I hereby pose a question…IF Senor Poundstone had lifted the 750 lbs for 10 reps with each rep from a dead stop…what then would we have called this lift?

“Derek Poundstone 750 Deadlift x 10 from Dead Stop Each Rep?”

I mean there should be some criteria to differentiate the two accomplishments, right? The bouncing deads and the dead deads.

;-)[/quote]

Actually, I’ve seen more dead stop deadlift videos labeled as ‘dead stop’ and touch and go just labeled as deadlifts.

I know you handle some pretty heavy weights, when your letting down a deadlift how much does it actually bounce? Bounce sounds like it flew back in the air a few inches, when 750 comes down its staying there.

As far as I’m concerned there are two types of deadlifts, touch and go deadlifts that you do for reps, and dead stop deadlifts that are a bunch of repeated singles for a ‘set’.

jesus christ. c’mon guys who gives a fuck. touch and go or dead stop this is awesome. Heres a guy at the top of one of the most difficult sports out there. meaning there are few people on the planet that can do what he just did. We should all just sit in silence and aww at what was just witnessed…

Whatever semantics people want to argue about dead stop, bouncing, whatever…he picked up 750 lbs 10 times.

Guys like Poundstone and Kroc are absolute beasts. I don’t see how anyone can watch their videos and not get motivated to pick up something heavy.