Derailed - Setting a New Course!

Make’s sense, I’ve heard of some people who traveled to Japan to perfect their art - sounds so cool.

Wednesday - rehab only

Stationary bike - 10 min
10 min crossovers, side stepping, figure 8s, light hopping from one foot to another
Wobble board and BOSU ball balance drills
squats - 10@45 x 5 sets
heel slides x 40

I was going to post some pictures of my little workout space last night. I got them all loaded onto my comp, but it froze. I tried to restart to no avail. I just get a crazy scrambled screen. Blah… So it looks like tonight I will be operating and trying to diagnose what the hell went wrong (either power source or graphics card) and hopefully try and fix it. Thankfully I do regular back-ups! Normally I like tinkering with computers, especially if I’m upgrading my system, but when it suddenly goes up in smoke and ruins my evening… well that’s not quite as fun. If I do get my workout in tonight, it will be a late one for sure.

Found time to fit in a workout last night. Woo hoo!

7 km bike - trying to out bike the mosquitos, persistant little bastards!
10 min crossovers, side stepping, figure 8s, foot-to-foot hopping
Skull Crushers - 10@15s x 4 sets
Squats - 1@50 x 4 between sets of skull crushers
Close grip banch press - 10@50, 10@55 X 3 sets (love these - so much better than kickbacks!)
Balance work between sets
ez-curl bar overhead extensions - 10@20 x 4 sets
Single leg stiff leg dead lift - 10@8s x 2 sets and stretching between sets
Chair dips - 20s active 10s rest x 4 sets total reps: 62

Finally got my computer fixed. Bought a new graphics card (upgrade woo hoo!) and installed it. Problem solved.
And I managed not to miss a workout!

Friday - Back
10 min bike
10 min crossovers, sidestepping, figure 8s, light hopping foot-to-foot
Bench supported rows - 5@40s x 5 sets
Squats - 10@55 x 5 sets (between sets of rows)
One arm rows - 5@50s x 5 sets
Balance drills between sets
Chin ups - 5, 4, 4, 4 felt like blah…

Saturday - Shoulders

9 km bike ~ 33mins
10 min crossovers, side stepping, figure 8s, hopping from foot to foot.
Military Press - 10@55 x 4 sets
Deadlift - 10@60 x 4 sets
Lat raises front 10@8s x 4 sets
Lat raises side 10@8s x 4 sets
Balance work between sets
Upright rows - 10@20s x 4 sets
Rotator cuff external rotations - 10@8 x 4 sets
Stretching and ab work between sets

Sunday - rehab only
9 km bike
Took it pretty easy on Sunday and just did my usual mobility and balance exercises - no weights.

Monday - chest
Had a really fun day lifting on Monday!

Bench Press: 8@85, 5@95, 5@105, 5@110, 5@110, 1@120, fail@125
Bench Fly: 5@10s x 5 sets
Incline Bench Press: 4@85 x 5 sets
DL: 10@60, 10@70 x 3 sets

Tuesday - Biceps

8 km bike
I was feeling pretty wiped out after my bike ride and quite sore from my workout on Monday - glad I just had biceps to focus on.

Alternating DB curls - 10@15s x 4 sets
Squats - 10@55 x 4 sets still not quite parallel, but flexibility is slowly improving. I am quite happy with where I’m at considering I could barely ride a bike 3 weeks ago
Preacher curl - 10@10s x 4
Crossovers, side stepping and figure 8s between sets
EZ bar curls - 10@25, 10@30 x 3 sets
Balance drills between sets

It’s great that your flexibility is improving. Can you do a deep squat with no weight?

Also, what’s your BW?

Well, I can certainly go past parallel with no weights, but I can’t get all the way down yet. Right now my butt is about 7-8 inches from the floor. There is still a fair amount of stiffness, but not too much pain as long as I keep the motion slow and controlled and have a good warm up on the bike beforehand.

As for BW: ~135lbs @ 5’6"

Rehab only night last night, but I got off to a late start and cut my bike ride a little short.

6.5 km bike
Crossovers 10 reps (Back and forth across basement)
side stepping 10 reps (Back and forth across basement)
figure 8s 1min each direction
hopping from foot to foot 30sec per stance (side-by-side, right forward, left forward)
single leg balance on BOSU 3 x 3 mins
front to back wobble board x 25
side to side wobble board x 25
Step up on BOSU 30 reps each leg
Heel slides x 25
Calf and hamstring sretching

I go to see my PT tomorrow to get my progress assesed, get fitted for a knee brace and most likely get some new exercises.

Good luck with the PT. I’m living it right now too. Can’t wait until I emerge on the other side.

Snap - Thanks! Good luck to you too - I took a peek at your log. That’s quite the injury to recover from. Sometimes it is hard to see that light at the end of the tunnel especially when that injury prevents what you love to do. But I’m hoping I will come out better in the end.

Saddly I’m missing out on the World Dodgeball Championships this month in Vegas. I’m still going to support my team (I’ve never been to Vegas either - woo hoo!) but it was a tough decision to go along anyway. I’m going to try and weasle my way out of the stands and on to the floor so I can take some video.

Anyway, onto last night’s workout - triceps.

9.5 km bike down busy trails with some inconsiderate pedestrians… I try to be a considerate cyclist, but when the pedestrians refuse to share the multi-use trails it really irks me. Sorry to the rose bush that I drove through…

10 mins of crossovers, side stepping, hopping from foot to foot, figure 8s
Skull Crushers - 5@20 x 5 sets
Starting to get a little bored so I threw in some Turkish getups using my standard 7ft bar (25lbs)
5 reps (that 5th rep is a killer!) between sets of skull crushers only with my right arm. It puts too much strain on my knee if I try with the left. Using the long bar is fun and adds a good balance challenge.

Close grip bench - 10@65, 7@75, 5@80 x 3 sets
Balance drills in between sets

Ez curl bar tri extensions - 5@30 x 2 sets, 5@35 x 3 sets
Stretching and body weight squats between sets

Chair dips - 20s active 10s rest x 3 sets (53 total)

And that’s that for today

You know, I must admit that dodgeball seemed like public school sanctioned torture when I was a youngster. I was always little. And I would just get pummeled in that game. Never was my thing. But how cool to come across a professional dodgeball player now. Here’s hoping you’re back in the game soon.

LastStand- I had a bad knee jolt (though not a dislocated knee cap) a year ago after a hiking stint. (Up= my friend; Down…not so much)

Good way to slowly stretch those muscles and get them used to the position again is ball squats. Best! :]

Snap - I wouldn’t go as far as calling me a professional (though I’d loooove to get payed to play!) I’m more of a passionate competitive amature. It’s funny we get a lot of new people joining the leagues and their first comment is usually, “I haven’t played this since elementary.” We play with the old school rubber balls (good for adults - not so much for kids) too - none of those sissy foam balls. When you get hit you know it! All us dodgeball ladies compare the bruises we get from the guys and their wicked arms.

Wasabi - thanks for the tip. I was actually doing those in physio today. I like the added support of the ball it helps me get better depth without worrying as much about stability.

I worked my butt off at physio today and my legs were quite spent. I’m allowed to do lunges now and was recommended to foam roll my quads because they are apparently super tight. It looks like this was my last physio trip for a while too. My PT said I was recovering well and to keep doing what I’m doing and essentially let pain be my guide. I’m happy with that and I’ll keep slaving away in the basement - 8 weeks and counting now, hopefully I’ll be back on the court in September.

Speaking of which, my boyfriend had to practically drag me downstairs to do my workout. I got though it, but meh… not the best workout…

Chin ups - 5, 4, 4, 4 10lb - 2, 2
Bench supported row - 10@30s x 4 sets
One arm row - 10@40 x 4 sets

No rehab exercises between sets as I got those covered earlier

LastStand- Yeesh! I flinch at the idea of those dodgeballs. I was a camp counselor for the past 2 years, and got hit in the face with the sissy ones like…10,000 times by the guy camp counselors and the baseball players in our camp. Talk about vicious! Those things were probably going 90 mph and a few times I thought my glasses were gonna break. I can only imagine what those other balls feel like in an adult league o_o…glasses wearers beware!

Of course, I meant “competitive,” not “professional.” Wouldn’t it be great if we could get paid for our athletic passions?

Wasabi - Fortunately in our league head shots (when standing, not crouching) or even dangerous high throws are penalties. So they don’t happen too often thankfully or we’d see a lot more broken noses and concussions and such. I have sacrificed my head to make a catch though, a good hit to he head can make you see stars that’s for sure.

Snap - Agreed, it would be wonderful. I’m always a little jealous of the people that get sponsored for extreme sports like mountain biking or skateboarding. I’d wear a company logo to play for free too!

Last nights workout was much more enjoyable than the previous!

I skipped the bike ride since I went hiking for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

Warm-up
Crossovers, Figure 8’s, hopping from foot to foot. I tried those with my knew knee brace and was able to pick up the speed significantly.

Military Press - 10@50, 7@70, 5@80 x 4 sets
50 roundhouse kicks (light tap on the heavy bag) between each set
BB Lat raise - 10@25, 10@30, 7@35, 5@40, 5@40
Ball squats - 10 reps between sets
BB Upright row - 8@55, 6@60, x 4 sets
Side stepping with resistance band between sets
RC external rotations - 5@15 x 4 sets

nice presses LS - and I love hiking myself. Alberta’s got some awesome hiking spots too.