Depth Check

I have my first powerlifting competition next week so I decided to check my depth on squats today. I was definitely a bit high today. Ill be competing in the 100% RAW federation. How strict are they on squat depth? Would this squat get red lights? This is 335, about 90% of my 1RM.

Brian,

You might want to get a little bit lower, 100% RAW Powerlifting tends to expect a below parallel squat and from this angle it looks to be just parallel or maybe a hair above (could be the angle though, you may be lower). If you are competing in the 100% RAW meet in Fayetteville, I seem to remember the judges turning down some clearly parallel squats 2 years ago. If you can drop another 2 inches you should be fine, if not you may still be fine but it will be close.

[quote]BrianHanson wrote:
Brian,

You might want to get a little bit lower, 100% RAW Powerlifting tends to expect a below parallel squat and from this angle it looks to be just parallel or maybe a hair above (could be the angle though, you may be lower). If you are competing in the 100% RAW meet in Fayetteville, I seem to remember the judges turning down some clearly parallel squats 2 years ago. If you can drop another 2 inches you should be fine, if not you may still be fine but it will be close.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Yes that’s the one Im competing in. I will definitely work on my mobility in the upcoming week.

It’s high, and I would expect to be red-lighted, but the good news is that it looked really easy for you, so I don’t think you’d have too much difficulty making the necessary corrections and still being able to hit this.

Definitely high, drop it another 2-4" and you will be good. As others said the weight is easy so you can smoke it. It is also easier to judge in a singlet vs sweatpants. A super easy visual that Paul Bossi (pres of 100% RAW) gives to his judges is if you put a marble on the top of the thigh musculature near the knee, would it roll forward to feet or backward to the hips? If it would roll forward it is high, if it would roll backward it is thus below parallel and a good lift. Make sure you wait for the commands. Good luck with your meet, I hope it is fun for you.

Brian,

We will obviously not be in the same weight or age group, but what are you competing at?

[quote]BrianHanson wrote:
Brian,

We will obviously not be in the same weight or age group, but what are you competing at? [/quote]

Ill be in the 181’s 18-19 division. How about yourself?