Depresssing Numbers and 1RM

What is the best way to test for one rep max?

Before my shoulder inguy my 5 rep max for squat was 265. I know thats sad, but it gets worst.

I just tried to see how much I lost in the last month, I started with 135x10, 155x8, 185x6 and 205x4 and I was beat. I lost some strength but to go from 265x5 to 205x4 is horriable.

I am going to check my max for deadlift tommarow, What would be the best way to go about it? Last month i was at 275x5.

Give yourself some time.

Best way to do it?

Certainly not maxing 2 days in a row.

Go slow, I spent the better half of the last 8 months in and out of injuries because I didn’t go slow getting back into it.

It sucks, but I’m finally on track and feel great because I’m taking it easy.

Maybe you can try not going for so many reps on the squat. Say warm up at 135 for 10 and from then on just stay at 5 reps but increase the weight.

Thats what I tired last time, up to a 3 rep max than I used one of the website to calculate my 1rm.

I wanted to try something diffrent this time, it failed haha

Should I focus on my 1 rm beofre I start lifting again or should I just start with a weight I feel comfortable with.

A 1RM is only a 1RM if you have actually done it.

The calculated stuff is BS…it works on % of normal people. If you don’t learn to lift heavy you will never get anywhere near that 1RM.

Don’t max out so often.

It is strange your strength has dropped so much.

Are you injured? Max every 6-8 weeks or so. Peak the week before it and cut down on total volume and number of exercises. You want to be FRESH for when you peak.

Don’t do too many reps also depending on what max you want to do. A 1RM you should pyramid up. 60% and onwards do doubles and start to do singles at 80% onwards.

Koing

Well I suppose you should just drop the ego for now. 1 rep maxes aren’t something you should every week… could possibly burn out your CNS. Take it easy and just let your body get back into the groove, the strength will come back.

I messed up my shoulder a couple weeks ago, I go back to work on Thursday, so I have not been doing much. I am going ot start lifting again using Waterburys routines. I wanted to know what my maxes were before starting.

Should I go with a weight that I am comftorable with for the first month or so than check my max’s?

[quote]DF85 wrote:
I messed up my shoulder a couple weeks ago, I go back to work on Thursday, so I have not been doing much. I am going ot start lifting again using Waterburys routines. I wanted to know what my maxes were before starting.

Should I go with a weight that I am comftorable with for the first month or so than check my max’s?

[/quote]

Just guess what your 1RM is for each lift. If your guess is too high or too low, you will soon know. (You could look at a 1RM predictor to make more informed guesses. Go to http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

i say once your healed up man, take a week off and enter a contest! go all out and it will be a great oppurtunity to see what your made of, under these kind of circumstances your max effort may actually be higher, just give it a try man i have competed before in competitions that i knew i had no chance in placing in but i competed anyway to meet some really strong ppl and just to compete against myself

Worth checking out Dan John’s latest article. You need to know the difference between a SortaMax, a Max, a MaxMax and a MaxMaxMax!