DepressionExperience

Has anyone out there suffered from depression and then had successful treatment with counseling and/or medication. I would just like to hear of some success stories. I’m thinking about seeing a counselor soon.

Hey man… plenty of people suffer from depression, and plenty of them are happy from getting therapy or the use of medication.

If you’re thinking that you need help, you probably do. Go get it.

Get help. I love my psychologist and my psychiatrist. I wish I’d sought help ages ago.

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
Get help. I love my psychologist and my psychiatrist.[/quote]

That’s called “transference.” Bet your fancy-pants psychologist and psychiatrist didn’t tell you that.

Been there and back my friend. Counseling is number 2.

Number one? Diet and exercise. My life has done a 180. I cannot express into words what a profound effect a healthy lifestyle, good quality nutrition and supp regimine has done for me. A healthy body is a healthy mind.

See a counselor now.

An SSRI combined with Power Drive every morning do it for me.

– ElbowStrike

[quote]nephorm wrote:
ThatGirl77 wrote:
Get help. I love my psychologist and my psychiatrist.

That’s called “transference.” Bet your fancy-pants psychologist and psychiatrist didn’t tell you that.[/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue:

Medication and therapy are bullshit. People just think that shit helps because it dampens them and induces utter complacence. Stay the fuck away.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:
Medication and therapy are bullshit. People just think that shit helps because it dampens them and induces utter complacence. Stay the fuck away.[/quote]

Thank you Tom Cruise.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:
Medication and therapy are bullshit. People just think that shit helps because it dampens them and induces utter complacence. Stay the fuck away.[/quote]

Stick to flying boats

Judging from experience, I believe depression to be better treated with proper diet and exercise first,before resorting to any kind medication.
I’ve seen many cases where people didn’t benefit much from their medications because they relied too much on them and didn’t want to change their diet/lifestyle.
In fact,a recent government study showed over 80% of those who were already on medication for depression still suffered from unresolved depression.
I’ve seen many people make a 360 turn around - including myself- without any medication. I do believe that this country,especially when it comes to treating depression, is over-drugged because many doctors hand out drugs like candy.
Nevertheless,we do live in a very stressful world.
A world were it’s easy to develop addictions due to the poor lifestyle choices that many Americans make every day.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

You’re right about that. This is only a new kind of religion.

i have very little experience with depression but i do remember some studies showing a huge improvement with fish oil. so i’d say get your diet and exercise in check before anything else.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
I’ve seen many people make a 360 turn around - including myself- without any medication. [/quote]

Yes, I think most people have experienced 360 degree turn-arounds…

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
I’ve seen many people make a 360 turn around - including myself- without any medication.

Yes, I think most people have experienced 360 degree turn-arounds…[/quote]

360 degree turn-arounds suck. Everytime I try that, it’s always the same as when I started. Maybe I should try a 720 degree turn-around…doubling shit has to work, right?

My husband has suffered from it most of his life. He’s seen several therapists over the years and none of them did a bit of good. He took Prozac for a while and hated it–made him feel emotionally numb.

After being admitted to the hospital last year for what he thought was a heart attack but turned out to be an anxiety attack, he finally decided to listen to my radical ideas about manipulating his diet to control his blood-sugar levels.

He used to start the day with about 600 calories worth of one of those crappy instant coffee drinks that are mainly sugar and hydrogenated oils. He would end the day by eating a bowl or two of Wheaties washed down with a couple bowls of ice cream swimming in chocolate sauce. In other words, tons of simple carbs without any appreciable amount of fiber or protein.

The basic change has been to switch him to a healthy diet like many of the people here are eating: frequent, reasonably-sized meals with a decent protein source at every meal, and also lots of fiber to level out his sugar absorption. He still eats some ice cream and other junk food, but not until he’s got some decent food in him first.

I wouldn’t call it a cure, but his moods have been very level since we made these changes back in July, without any major bouts of anxiety or depression.

I’ve fought with it since early childhood.

Therapy helps if you want it to help. My ideas on counseling have always been that the counselor is there to ask you the questions you cannot ask yourself, nothing more.

Can’t speak for meds. I will swear by fishoil and Spike! as effective countermeasures. Also simply learning your triggers and self monitoring will go a long way, but it takes patience and diligence.

I wrote a short story last year after a bout decribing from a third person view what it was like to a have an episode of severe depression. Will post if anyone shows interest.

There is a lot you can do yourself ie. diet and excercise - but if you could have fixed those things by yourself, you would have done it by now. That stuff can come later - just get to a point with therapy and meds where you can pick yourself up and dust off.

Also, for those doubters, a lot of therapy is just cutting through your own bullshit. Check out

for an example of what therapy is.

OP, I’d say your initial instinct to go see someone is right - after all, you came up with it! If people have dissuaded you, check out that Australian site and see what you think.